shaving off weight on wr450

13 replies to this topic
  • jcorni

Posted February 09, 2007 - 06:21 AM

Im just curious if anyone knows how much weight you and take off a wr450 ie battery,starter,headlamp,etc. can you get close to the weight of a yz 450? how lite can you make the most awsome bike made? :censored:

• resinlips

Posted February 09, 2007 - 07:10 AM

dont know the numbers in weight but after taking off my tail light I even shaved off the plastic nubs under the fender! Thats major tonage! There needs to be an after market skid plate that is'nt a 10lb. mud bucket. Also in heavy mud conditions the hollow back portion of the frame near the sprocket gets caked full. I twisted my knee pretty bad getting my bike out of the brush in some sloppy mush. The bike must have weighed 300lbs that day. And it still ripped! No regrets!

• Indy_WR450

Posted February 09, 2007 - 07:57 AM

My riding buddy [COLOR="Navy"]NCMountainman [/COLOR]took 15 lbs of stuff off of his 04 WR450. PM him for any details.

• BIGMatt

Posted February 09, 2007 - 08:22 AM

Why not just by a YZ450 insted???

I bought a WR450 so I COULD have E-start, lights, radiator overflow etc....

• TWILES

Posted February 09, 2007 - 09:26 AM

The way it was explained to me about the 05/06 WR and the 05 YZ, you just take the stuff off the WR that the YZ doesn't have and the weight should be the same. The frame and every metal part attached is supposed to be the same.

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted February 09, 2007 - 10:15 AM

Why not just by a YZ450 insted???

I bought a WR450 so I COULD have E-start, lights, radiator overflow etc....

there is always one to state the dumb questions. maybe he wants the wide ratio trany? or maybe he has other plans in mind?? never though of that

• Farmerboy

Posted February 09, 2007 - 12:06 PM

better idea is look at yourself, if you are a superfit Mr Atlas type person then by all means look at the bike but some of us could lose 10 lbs just by getting fitter which will in turn make the bike feel lighter anyhow.

Speaking for myself for a starter I could easily lose 15lb and still keep the E start etc etc...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ncmountainman

Posted February 09, 2007 - 12:06 PM

My riding buddy [COLOR="Navy"]NCMountainman [/COLOR]took 15 lbs of stuff off of his 04 WR450. PM him for any details.

it was over 20lbs off,but it was easier on a 04 wr because the exhaust weighed almost 10 lbs! lets see if i can remember:thinking:... the rr fender is 1lb diff,lose the kick stand 1lb,lose the odo crap 1lb(on 04 anyways),lose the headlight assmbly over 1 lb,go to aftermarket exhaust 4lbs(04),lose starter,starter gears and clutch,batt/wiring and switches 13lbs,yz airbox(now that the batts gone) 1.5 lbs,etc... it was dang close to the 04 yz weight:thumbsup: and farmerboy,the weight of the bike and the weight of the rider are seperate issues. whether or not your 150lbs or 250 lbs your still fighting with the weight of the machine. i've gone through great lengths this spring to lower the COG,reduce unsprung weight,and lower overall weight on my 05 yz. all of this will definately improve handling no matter what i weigh.

• specialk6r

Posted February 09, 2007 - 03:04 PM

and farmerboy,the weight of the bike and the weight of the rider are seperate issues. whether or not your 150lbs or 250 lbs your still fighting with the weight of the machine.

That's a great point. There's always someone that shouts "Less cheeseburgers!" when there's a question about dropping weight. But when the bike tips over, a few lbs. off the gut aren't going to make the bike any easier to pick up. Adding muscle might, but that's not decreasing any weight either.

My logic says that losing weight might make your bike a hair quicker, but handling won't improve. Let me know if I'm missing something.

• Farmerboy

Posted February 10, 2007 - 11:31 AM

gotta disagree with yall today just for the craic as we say over here,

When i was fighting fit in the forces I was 28lb less than now but twice as strong and i could have picked my WR up and carried it on my back if required - now I have trouble torquing the rear axle up.

My extra strength would have made the bike feel lighter everytime

But hey you take the battery off if you really feel the need, just in my opinion im not good enough to be able to tell the difference if the bike is 10lb lighter or not.

Chris

• specialk6r

Posted February 10, 2007 - 04:05 PM

but twice as strong

That was a large part of my point. Getting stronger will make the bike feel lighter to you, but you getting lighter will not. And stronger doesn't automatically mean lighter or less fat. Less fat is simply creating a calorie deficit, taking in less than you use up. It has very little to do with strength, although many confuse the two because they don't have the motivation to lose weight until they start lifting weights, and inversely, they don't put on weight until they get lazy and quite exercising.

• ncmountainman

Posted February 10, 2007 - 07:23 PM

i shure as heck could tell the bike was 20lbs lighter. and losing weight yourself sure will increase the power,it takes something like 1.5 hp for every 10 lbs;but i'm pretty sure that physically speaking heavier objects in motion(i'm sure there's some applicable law) will be harder to control no matter what size or level of fitness. this might be why the industry standard is to make the bikes lighter...but i'm just a fat redneck,what would i know:excuseme:

• SurvivorMan

Posted February 14, 2007 - 07:58 PM

I just sold my 06 yz 450...that bike rips. i race/ride mostly tight technical woods, so the yz was a little bit of a beast as far as power goes. the 07 wr is sounding very interesting if i can pull weight off it, but i would not want to loose the e starter, that would be one of the main reasons for buying the wr. i have also looked at the ktm 505 with e start.....i started drooling about that idea...maybe once it is a 5 speed though. i sure hope yami comes up with an e start yz 450, then throw on the new rekluse pro, magic!

• dugabrams

Posted July 16, 2007 - 06:41 AM

I can tell you about body weight first hand. I went from 225 to 195 and what a difference in how my '05wr450 feels. The biggest difference is after 4 hrs on a trail instead of being worn out, i'm still looking for more trails. At that point the bike feels 50 lbs lighter.

Also, it's my opinion that this bike is only heavy in slow tight stuff and the only way it or any other 450cc+ bike is gonna feel light is if you trade it for a 250f or a 2 smoke.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.