wr450f leak?

11 replies to this topic
  • whitey_yam450

Posted February 09, 2007 - 02:53 AM

hi, i have a 2003 wr450f and it has strated dripping rad fluid out from the water pump area? it only does it if it has not been started for a day or so, it drips about 10-15 drips then it stops. i have not had the chance to get under it and have a proper look yet. Has this happend to any of you guys?
cheers:thumbsup:

• Jeff_Steckline

Posted February 09, 2007 - 05:40 AM

Your water pump is going out, same thing happened on my 05 YZ 450. It starts out as a couple of drops and then the skys open up. Simple fix. Jeff S

• specialk6r

Posted February 09, 2007 - 08:32 AM

Definetly the problem. Happens to all Yamaha 450's within the first few years. It's actually dripping out of a "weep hole" that is a clever piece of engineering that warns you before there is coolant/oil contamination. There are 2 seals that separate the oil from the coolant, and when the outside one goes out it drips coolant out of the hole.

You'll want to fix it before the inner seal goes too. Some people will recommend that you replace the bearing and the impeller shaft too, since the shaft gets a groove worn in it from the lip on the seal, making the new seal leak sooner. Here are the part numbers that you'll need to do the full rebuild, which I got from Mrcycles.com: http://www.mrcycles....=2003&fveh=5223

click on "water pump"

SHAFT, IMPELLER
5GR-12458-00-00 $19.92

OIL SEAL
93109-11073-00 $3.06

OIL SEAL,SD-TYPE
93102-12321-00 $5.08

BEARING
93306-00105-00 $11.36

• whitey_yam450

Posted February 14, 2007 - 05:47 AM

do i just need to take the little water pump cover off to do the full rebuild or the whole side case?

• drtbk4ever

Posted February 14, 2007 - 08:07 AM

do i just need to take the little water pump cover off to do the full rebuild or the whole side case?

Do a "seach this forum" on this topic. I vaguely remember seeing some photos of the process last year.

• clark4131

Posted February 14, 2007 - 08:09 AM

Whole side case. The manual details how to do it. My parts are on order and I plan to do a full write up on it...SC

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • kskyles

Posted February 14, 2007 - 09:58 AM

TARFELE did a decent write up about this water pump rebuild if it helps you search.

But a good detailed one from ol' clarky would be nice. :censored:

• shakeytits

Posted February 16, 2007 - 01:16 PM

hi mate, i have a mc garage for yam, the prob is the seal in the water pump has been fitted the wrong way round, there is a recall from the dealers for this problem, the easiest repair is clean the hole on the water pump where the antifreeze is laeking , rough it up with emery cloth, then fill the hole with silicon sealer, trust me that is the repair, there is no pressure on this side of the seal whatsoever, and it will never leak again, regards paul, in the uk

• clark4131

Posted February 16, 2007 - 02:13 PM

hi mate, i have a mc garage for yam, the prob is the seal in the water pump has been fitted the wrong way round, there is a recall from the dealers for this problem, the easiest repair is clean the hole on the water pump where the antifreeze is laeking , rough it up with emery cloth, then fill the hole with silicon sealer, trust me that is the repair, there is no pressure on this side of the seal whatsoever, and it will never leak again, regards paul, in the uk

Tell us where your garage is so we can tell people to avoid it!...SC

• marty b

Posted February 16, 2007 - 05:00 PM

im a heavy duty mechanic i rebuild water pumps all the time, if i were to plug the weep hole for any reason i would get fired. its there for a reason glycol antiefreez in the base wil kill everything. your rad is under presure if the water side seal leakes for any reason it has to come out the weephole or it will go in the base as the oil seal is designed to work from the base out.

• WYSIWYG

Posted March 12, 2007 - 01:10 PM

Crap! My 05 has done this since I got it. Haven't had any coolant in the oil yet, though. I should have taken it back to the dealer when I first noticed it, but it was my first dirt bike and I thought it was some kind of purge or something. Oh well, looks like I get to learn another new procedure to impress my friends with. :applause:

• chiefsfan.58

Posted March 12, 2007 - 08:22 PM

Sounds like somebody's "mc shop" is hurtin for some engine work!!!!:applause: :lol: :lol:

sorry if I overdid it with the smilies, but that comment has me bamboozled!
peace

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.