Best YZ400F performance upgrade?

5 replies to this topic
  • gnarkle

Posted February 08, 2007 - 07:16 PM

I would like to get a little more punch out out of my 99 YZ400, right now it has a white brothers silencer. I was thinking about doing a powerbomb header? I am on a somewhat limited budget so any help or input would be appreciated.

• 642MX

Posted February 08, 2007 - 07:43 PM

How much do you want to spend?

The power bomb header smoothed out the power curve on my bike. It will make the power come on smoother not harder, spend your money on a high compression piston or a JD jet kit. Or maybe a set of Hot Cams?

• gnarkle

Posted February 08, 2007 - 08:01 PM

I was hoping to spend under 500 bucks. I ride mostly MX tracks and could just use a little more oomph. My dad on his KX 250 with a few odds and ends really takes me on straits, not too worried about that, but would like some more juice out of corners etc. Thanks!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 642MX

Posted February 08, 2007 - 08:10 PM

I was hoping to spend under 500 bucks. I ride mostly MX tracks and could just use a little more oomph. My dad on his KX 250 with a few odds and ends really takes me on straits, not too worried about that, but would like some more juice out of corners etc. Thanks!

With a $500 budget you could get the high compression piston and a jet kit. The piston enhances the bottom to mid power and the JD jet kit creates unreal throttle response. I think you'll like both mods. :censored:

• PumpkinHumper

Posted February 09, 2007 - 05:11 AM

http://www.powroll.c...A_YZFWR426F.htm

• ericyzf4

Posted February 09, 2007 - 06:03 AM

I have a DSP power now valve that I had on my 99 YZF400 (before I sold it and bought my 06) It gave a little more snap up to 1/4 - 1/2 throttle. I would sell it for $40 usd. That along with a JD jet kit and power bomb header would give you a lot of pull down low. Also think about the 6 - 8 oz flywheel and/or 1 - 2 teeth bigger on the rear sprocket. I did all of these mods to my 99 only I left the stock exhaust on it. I would out pull my buddies on their CR and KX 250 smokers and my partner on his 02 426. Also think before you go high comp piston. You will need to run a higher octane fuel and will shorten the life of your engine.

Big bore (boring the stock cylinder) will greatly weaken your motor in is crazy expensive.

If you want some well spent money on the motor. The 2000 (2000 only) 426 cylinder and piston will fit your bike. The crank bearing is different, but other than that it is a straight swap and way more reliable than big bore, high comp piston, and if put togther right, more reliable than stock.

Check out the powroll linnk above.

PM me if you are interested in the power now.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.