Effect of too much sag

9 replies to this topic
  • Dp2boy

Posted February 08, 2007 - 05:11 PM

Just bolted my subframe back on after cranking my rear spring down a little and it looks like I've cranked it too much. If I don't re-do it I'll be running about 87mm of sag. What will the effect be if I leave it at 87mm ??? :censored:

• matts06yzf

Posted February 08, 2007 - 06:18 PM

that will not be too much sag that will be to less of sag you should be around 100mm. Hit a 60 ft double and then you will see what 87 is like. Bike will probably handle like a flaming sack of shit, and rear of bike will more than likely to kick you way up in the rear on any decent landing. You do not have to remove subframe to achieve setting sag. you can do it very easy with everything together. Yes it can be easier with sub off but thats, what 4 bolts and a air box boot off carb takes 5 mins man. So why would u want ur bike to be set up all wrong due to being lazy? take 10 mins and get it right:thumbsup:

• flintlock28

Posted February 08, 2007 - 06:26 PM

I've reset my 04' 450f's sag by just placing the bike on a center stand, and using an old beat up blunt long screwdriver, to loosen the retaining ring, and then used a deadblow mallet to turn the ring the number of turns I needed to get to the correct sag.....I didn't need to dissasemble anything. A spanner wrench is the proper tool to use, but a beat up screwdriver is cheaper, and works. If I remember correctly, each full turn of the adjusting ring equals 1.5mm of sag...so just turn the ring 8.6 turns (you're at 87mm, and you need 100mm, so you need 13mm more sag) 13mm divided by 1.5mm= 8.6 turns of the ring.

• Dp2boy

Posted February 08, 2007 - 08:20 PM

Thanks guys, it looks like I'd better adjust it tomorrow night before riding on Saturday.

• billyo

Posted February 09, 2007 - 07:01 AM

easiest way- bike on center stand, rear wheel off ground. loosen the top ringnut with long blunt screwdriver and mallot. break it free and spin it away from the lower ringnut. decide whether you are going to decrease or increase sag and use your HAND. grab that spring and twist with a gorilla grip. so much faster, plus you dont mug-up your lower ringnut either.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted February 09, 2007 - 09:17 AM

> Use a piece of aluminum or brass bar or flat stock (like 1 x 1/8 or 1/4) instead of a screwdriver

> If your bike is a pre '06 model, set it at 100mm

> If it's an '06 or '07, set it at 95mm

• matts06yzf

Posted February 09, 2007 - 10:16 AM

> Use a piece of aluminum or brass bar or flat stock (like 1 x 1/8 or 1/4) instead of a screwdriver

> If your bike is a pre '06 model, set it at 100mm

> If it's an '06 or '07, set it at 95mm

gray why does Enzo recommend 105. Does the valving change that much so sag needs to be different? I know its sweet at 105 alot better than at 98 where it was. Has anyone tried say 103-105 on stock susp? wandering how it would be

• grayracer513

Posted February 09, 2007 - 11:08 AM

It could be a couple of things. If Enzo did both ends of the bike, the front may sag more than it did originally, and so the rear sag would have to be increased to match.

The other thing is that 95-97mm is used instead of the more standard 100mm on the '06/7 to reduce the head angle and improve cornering, by eliminating the push it has as issued. Enzo may have a different take than others on how the bike should handle, or they may simply be approaching it from a purely suspension oriented perspective, and ignoring handling characteristics.

Either way, my stock '06 corners noticeably better at 95-97 (along with pulling the forks up 5-7mm) than at 100 or more.

• bboyce

Posted February 09, 2007 - 01:04 PM

Gray's sag reccomendation makes perfect sense on the 06's. Since the 06 has the problem with slight front end push, running slightly less sag would put more weight on the front end, where as the more you run would put more weight bias on the rear end.

• Huckster

Posted February 09, 2007 - 01:15 PM

Had my 07 done by FC and they recommended 110mm. 5.8 shock and .48 fork springs. I weigh 210lbs and ride only mx

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.