06 WR 450 DID chain???

13 replies to this topic
  • Jwar1r1t3

Posted February 08, 2007 - 08:39 AM

How do you disconnect the chain on the 06 WR 450????????

It's a DID chain and I cannot find the master link!!!!:censored: Is it different typpe of link than other chains or is there no master link?? My manual has the chain in a diagram showing it comming apart with a master link.

Could somone explain to me how it comes apart??? I started taking apart the linkage and swing arm to grease everything and can't get the chain apart.

• Jwar1r1t3

Posted February 08, 2007 - 12:19 PM

Anyone please???? I'm in the process of cleaning and greaseing thesuspension system, and need to get at the needle bearings in the swingarm. I cleaned and greased everything else and this stupid chain is preventing me from finishing!!!!!

• Fullbore4

Posted February 08, 2007 - 12:38 PM

There is no master link. There is a link with brass colored pins, if you look closely, that you grind the pins off and to put it back together, you need to buy a master link.

• GCannon

Posted February 08, 2007 - 01:24 PM

You can still lube you suspension linkage and swingarm and clean the chain all without splitting the chain.

• Jwar1r1t3

Posted February 08, 2007 - 02:40 PM

You can still lube you suspension linkage and swingarm and clean the chain all without splitting the chain.

yeah but I want to take out all the needles in the needle bearings and thoroughly clean the shit/lack of grease from the factory. I did that to both the other components and lost 1 needle in the process. If I just spray a crap-load of parts cleaner in there, then it might not dry all the way because of excess grease, and deteriorate the grease that I put back in.

• GCannon

Posted February 08, 2007 - 02:51 PM

yeah but I want to take out all the needles in the needle bearings and thoroughly clean the shit/lack of grease from the factory. I did that to both the other components and lost 1 needle in the process. If I just spray a crap-load of parts cleaner in there, then it might not dry all the way because of excess grease, and deteriorate the grease that I put back in.

My Bad I must not understand. I dont see how cleaning and lubing the bearings of the linkage or swingarm has anything to do with the chain. :applause:

Remove the swingarm with the chain on it.
Lube your bearings.
Clean your chain while you are at it.:censored:

Then reassemble, just remember to put the chain on the swingarm before you install it.:ride:

Again I am sorry for not understanding what the problem is.:lol:

• Jwar1r1t3

Posted February 08, 2007 - 03:43 PM

My Bad I must not understand. I dont see how cleaning and lubing the bearings of the linkage or swingarm has anything to do with the chain. :applause:

Remove the swingarm with the chain on it.
Lube your bearings.
Clean your chain while you are at it.:censored:

Then reassemble, just remember to put the chain on the swingarm before you install it.:ride:

Again I am sorry for not understanding what the problem is.:lol:

Sorry for the unclear explanation. For one I had an idiot moment, I could just take the chain guide off the swingarm and it will work.:applause:

Is it actually necessary to remove those needles from the swingarm bearings, or could I just slap a load of my belray waterproff grease in there??? I don't feel like cleaning them out, as those needles are a PITA.

I only have about 100 miles on the bike and have never ridden in sloppy mud or wet conditions yet. Would it be fine to just put the grease in without removing ALL the stuff thats already in there???

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • GCannon

Posted February 08, 2007 - 05:16 PM

Is it actually necessary to remove those needles from the swingarm bearings, or could I just slap a load of my belray waterproff grease in there??? I don't feel like cleaning them out, as those needles are a PITA.

There are may opinons on this here. Some recommend removing the cheese and greasing and installing/packing each individual needle. This is definitelly the perfered option.

I have not removed the cheese this makes through cleaning more difficult but still can be done well with drying time and avoiding direct shots of compressed air.

Then a heavy dose of waterproof grease I do this once a year (not much water in the desert) you may need to service more often if you ride in wet conditions.

• Jwar1r1t3

Posted February 08, 2007 - 08:43 PM

Do you just spray carb cleaner insinde the bearings once you remove the collars??

• GCannon

Posted February 09, 2007 - 09:05 AM

I have a parts washer sink. You could use carb/brake cleaner and lots of paper towels to accomplish the task.

• Farmerboy

Posted February 09, 2007 - 12:09 PM

an 06 and you need to clean the swingarm bearings ????

mine is an 05 and they are still like new

mind you i hardly ride it

• clark4131

Posted February 09, 2007 - 12:35 PM

Greasing the suspension linkage, along with the head tube bearings is one of the first things you need to do when you buy the bike. Yamaha is notorious for using as little grease as possible in this areas. You didn't read the FAQ, huh? :censored:...SC

• GCannon

Posted February 09, 2007 - 04:04 PM

You Go Clark4131!

• Jwar1r1t3

Posted February 09, 2007 - 07:47 PM

Greasing the suspension linkage, along with the head tube bearings is one of the first things you need to do when you buy the bike. Yamaha is notorious for using as little grease as possible in this areas. You didn't read the FAQ, huh? :applause:...SC

Oh I read it, and I owned a honda before that. Both bikes had no grease in any of the linkage.

The WR was absolutely UNACCEPTABLE as far as grease goes. :ride: :lol: :censored: The swing arm bolt already had corrosion on it and the collars started actually rusting!!!! I buffed em' off real well and applied a LIBERAL amount of grease to everything. As far as the swing arm bearings are concerned, they had some grease in them and it was not dirty so I didn't bother cleaning it out and making it a real mess. I just greased over all of it, it should be fine.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.