best why to clean spokes?

10 replies to this topic
  • HappyG

Posted February 07, 2007 - 07:03 PM

i have a wheel set that have been sitting for quite some time. they have 1 ride on them, but have been sitting for 5 years so the spokes are crap. what can i use to help them out.
thanks

• PumpkinHumper

Posted February 07, 2007 - 07:31 PM

A thin strip of cloth (think shoelace) and rubbing compound. wrap the rag around the spoke and pull each end back and forth across the length of the spoke.

Takes time but looks nice in the end. good winter project. Living room and beer + rim = shinny

• 642MX

Posted February 07, 2007 - 07:48 PM

Simple Green :censored:

• warrior86

Posted February 07, 2007 - 08:06 PM

Its a tedious process. I forget the name of it offhand but its a metal polish that comes in a can. Inside the can is cotton ball type stuff. As you apply it to the metal, the "polish" seems to melt out of the cotton and onto the metal. If you dont know what im talking about and are interested in finding out the name, let me know...il go and check. But right now its 9 degrees out and i dont feel like making the journey to the garage. and like said before, you gotta do one spoke at a time. Luckily, its one of those things that dont require much concentration so you can do it while watchin tv.

• grayracer513

Posted February 07, 2007 - 08:20 PM

I forget the name of it offhand but its a metal polish that comes in a can. Inside the can is cotton ball type stuff.

"Never-Dull"

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 642MX

Posted February 07, 2007 - 08:23 PM

"Never-Dull"

Yeah. Its made by Eagle One.

• HappyG

Posted February 07, 2007 - 09:39 PM

yeah i have that, but i think i gotta try and do some naval jelly first, its basically like rust/corrosion. any other ideas? something stronger than naval jelly?

• Mikeee P

Posted February 09, 2007 - 01:12 AM

Get one of those green scotchbright pads if it's really nasty. Use it with something like comet or soft scrub...

Then from there you can try to buff them out but if they're already dull chances are you've lost that chrome like shine forever.

Mike

• hawaiidirtrider

Posted April 17, 2008 - 06:19 PM

It is a bummer but i would just buy a set of stainless spokes and change em.

• YZ450Fahk

Posted April 18, 2008 - 06:13 AM

"Barkeepers/Bartenders Friend" for pots and pans works really good. Should be able to get it at any grocery store.

Just use it with a damp cloth.

• thedes68

Posted April 18, 2008 - 11:08 AM

grab a box of S.O.S. pads from Walmart and wet them makes old wheels new again.

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.