Plastic tank 650L

20 replies to this topic
  • dstark

Posted February 07, 2007 - 03:46 PM

I just got my IMS 4.0 gallon tank today and noticed the sticker they put on it said its not legal for street in CA. Just wondering if anyone in CA has acctualy recieved a ticket for a plastic tank on the road?

• bcone

Posted February 07, 2007 - 04:14 PM

I have a 6 gal tank (super obvious that it's not stock). My work is right next door to the local cop shop and I pass guys all the time, no problem...:censored: Wave as I pass the motorcycle cops, they wave back. If you drive like a complete idiot and are a jerk I'm sure they'll be happy to add a ticket for plastic tank on as well as whatever you've been caught for, but otherwise I wouldn't worry about it.
The only time one of my buddies has been pulled over in CA was for his LED lights which were so low profile as to not be visable, but that was only because the cop thought that he had no lights at all. When he saw them he thought they were cool and let my buddy off.:ride: Throw your tank on and forget about it.

• desert4seat

Posted February 07, 2007 - 07:21 PM

[quote name='bcone']I have a 6 gal tank (super obvious that it's not stock). My work is right next door to the local cop shop and I pass guys all the time, no problem...:censored: Wave as I pass the motorcycle cops, they wave back. If you drive like a complete idiot and are a jerk I'm sure they'll be happy to add a ticket for plastic tank on as well as whatever you've been caught for, but otherwise I wouldn't worry about it.
QUOTE]

…it depends on the copper as well. Ride around the Gorman area on anything that resembles a dirtbike (anything at all…even a KLR) and they’ll yank you for proof of…horn, insurance, MC endorsement, functioning blinkers, headlight, AND DOT TIRES!!! For no reason at all. But, you can ride around in the city all day long and not even get a second look. It all depends.

• tomb1957

Posted February 09, 2007 - 04:36 PM

I have a buddy who is a CHP, he stated the same thing. " It has to have a steel tank to be a dual sport in California". So I asked about Husky and KTM, he just shrugged and said he thinks it is a law that has been around for several years that most don't know about or pay attention to.

Don't many of the newer sport bikes have stock plastic tanks?

• xrltim

Posted February 09, 2007 - 06:25 PM

I've had aftermarket plastic tanks on all my dual sports and never had a problem. I've been pulled over many times and gotten tickets for different things but never that. Even in Gorman. But that other poster is very right, in Gorman they checked everything including tires. But none of that is a problem if you are prepared. I've been running Pirelli Rallycross tires which are excellent off road and stamped DOT legal, I have the Acerbis hand guards with turn signals built in, an Acerbis tail light on the stock fender in place of the HUGE stock light, and an XR's Only pipe that's kind of loud but hasn't actually been a problem, and one fold away mirror. So go for it.

:ride: :lol: :censored:

• BOLT Performance

Posted February 09, 2007 - 06:28 PM

This is an argument that comes up every once in a while... I am not convinced it MUST be steel to be legal... we should pin it down with facts... KTM and Husky are NOT just slipping this by CARB. Let's all take a look and see what we can come up with.

• daddyk

Posted February 10, 2007 - 01:16 PM

I can't swear to modern sport bike tanks, but I know the gas tank in my truck is plastic.

• focallength

Posted February 10, 2007 - 02:52 PM

I just got my IMS 4.0 gallon tank today and noticed the sticker they put on it said its not legal for street in CA. Just wondering if anyone in CA has acctualy recieved a ticket for a plastic tank on the road?

No I have a 96 xr600R thats is plated and Im pretty sure I have the exact same tank your talking about. Heck most of the stuff on my bike isnt street legal. Never been stopped or even really given much of a second look. Most cops that look for more than 2 seconds just look for a plate

• BOLT Performance

Posted February 10, 2007 - 07:06 PM

My belief is that it does not have to be metal... It just needs to meet CARB spec for emissions... and most of the aftermarket tank makers have not wasted the time and money to get certified as street legal cause CA is such a hassle.

I'm still trying to find proof of this though.

• drtlvr

Posted February 10, 2007 - 07:18 PM

if it has to be steel that would have to be "one of those dumb laws"

did anyone ever see a plastic tank spark when it hits the ground? yes it may wear through alot faster but that would be to your advantage because all the fuel would be out before you and your bike slid into a stationary object.

don't sweat the small stuff,if the police had to enforce all the real laws on vehicle modification no one would have a street legal car or bike

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Flagger

Posted February 10, 2007 - 08:00 PM

if it has to be steel that would have to be "one of those dumb laws"

did anyone ever see a plastic tank spark when it hits the ground? yes it may wear through alot faster but that would be to your advantage because all the fuel would be out before you and your bike slid into a stationary object.

don't sweat the small stuff,if the police had to enforce all the real laws on vehicle modification no one would have a street legal car or bike

It ain't about safety. it'a about the hydrocarbons leaching out of the plastic tank. Any OEM plastic tank (like the truck tank mentioned in the above post) has been certified to not let the HCs out. Special construction with a different plastic lining the inside of tank and that sort of thing.

• xr650l bum

Posted February 10, 2007 - 08:13 PM

It doesnt make sense that people argue about this. If it was a problem they would not be able to sell the factory huskies or ktm dual sport with the plastic tanks. Old outdated law. Move on!

• BOLT Performance

Posted February 12, 2007 - 04:50 PM

It doesnt make sense that people argue about this. If it was a problem they would not be able to sell the factory huskies or ktm dual sport with the plastic tanks. Old outdated law. Move on!

It's not about that... It's about having the facts so when the uninformed LEO pulls you over for a hassle job you have the facts !

• xr650l bum

Posted February 12, 2007 - 06:07 PM

It's not about that... It's about having the facts so when the uninformed LEO pulls you over for a hassle job you have the facts !

Fact- There is no law pronouncing plastic tanks legal.
Fact- They are selling legal dual sport bikes in CA with plastic tanks
Fact- There is an outdated law prohibiting plastic tanks in CA
Fact- If you ever get pulled over by a cop and you bring up that outdated law, you deserve the ticket!
Fact- If you get the fix it ticket, you can either go to court and fight, or put the old metal tank on and have an officer sign off!

Its just that simple. A police officer doesnt want to waste his time going after some outdated law full of contradictions, unless your an Ahole and deserve to be F@#ked with! My .02

• BOLT Performance

Posted February 12, 2007 - 09:26 PM

Here on TT about a year ago someone posted a link to some very detailed rules regarding the exact requirements of a street legal motorcycle from the lights to the brakes. It was all the legal requirements A to Z ! Anyone know where that is as I've lost track of it ?

• xr650l bum

Posted February 13, 2007 - 07:43 AM

Bolt performance what is it that you want. You ask for the facts and I give them to you. Give you the penalty for the violation, and how to get it resolved. I am not going to blow smoke up you a$$ and tell you that there is a law legalizing it. IT DOES NOT EXIST! Every time this topic comes up theres some idiot says "Well I went to the police today and asked". Thats smart. Lets keep promoting that type of behavior so it can go from a 1 in 1,000,000 to a 1 in 1,000 chance of getting ticketed for the violation. That would be a positive result!
One more thing, Santa Claus doesnt exist either!

• desert4seat

Posted February 13, 2007 - 11:51 AM

One more thing, Santa Claus doesnt exist either!

What a truly terrible thing to say!

:censored:

• focallength

Posted February 15, 2007 - 05:54 PM

the reason some plastic tanks are street legal and some arent is because, the street legal ones meet crash standards for NHTSB The off road only ones dont. So if you wreck on the highway with a OH tank you will probablly be spilling gallons of gas all over the road, causing a bigger mess than just squeeging you off the highway, Thats it in a nutshell.

• woodsrat

Posted February 16, 2007 - 09:29 AM

With a gazillion illegals running amok in SoCal I find it difficult to believe they'd have the time to pull you over for suspicion of an illegal tank. If they did I'd tell them just that!!

My buddy is trying to get a title for an XR-250R in Missouri and he's been told by the authorities they don't allow plastic tanks, either. I've run them all over creation and not had a problem, though so I agree about the outdated law concept. What little gas goes through them is insignificant relative to the typical industrial emissions anywhere in America. Typically we're an easy target so nothing would surprise me.

• cleonard

Posted February 16, 2007 - 09:39 AM

Fact- There is an outdated law prohibiting plastic tanks in CA

I'm not so sure about that. I have looked through the vehicle code trying to find a code that specifies metal tanks. I could not find one. Can you provide the section of the vehicle code that specifies a metal tank?

Smog regulations are another matter.

In 2008 all California green sticker bikes will have low emissions tanks. All after market tanks do not meet the new standard. Put an aftermarket tank on a 2008 green sticker bike and you risk a citation. I think this will only be an issue at the SVRA's but I think it will happen. The EPA is planning on making that federal regulation in 2010.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.