quick question about brakes

10 replies to this topic
  • kawirider

Posted February 07, 2007 - 05:31 AM

I just changed the pads on my '03 450. It took some effort to jam them in and I had to push the pistons apart. Now they are riding heavily. Should I just pry the pads apart with a screwdriver?

• 642MX

Posted February 07, 2007 - 07:52 AM

I think you are describing brake drag. Ferodo and EBC pads are famous for it. The pad is just a little to thick and drags the rotor. It will go away after the first ride.

• mxchamps

Posted February 07, 2007 - 07:59 AM

you may have too much oil in your line. once the pads wear down your oil level goes down, then if you add more oil it can be a real beach getting new pads in.

• John407

Posted February 07, 2007 - 10:05 AM

It could be like the guys above mentioned but for me it was dirt/grime on the caliper pistons not allowing them to move freely. I pulled the caliper apart and "scotch brited" the pistons and checked out the seals were good shape and clean. Worked for me on my '03

• grayracer513

Posted February 07, 2007 - 10:27 AM

If you can widen the space between the pads with a screwdriver wider than the thickness of the rotor, the piston is not the problem. If it springs back, remove the reservoir cap off and push the piston back again. It should push fluid out the top, and stay pushed back this time. If then it still drags, remove and clean the caliper slider pins and bores.

Also, some after market pads are a little "springy" when new, which contributes to this.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • socal_sierra

Posted February 07, 2007 - 10:30 AM

If you can widen the space between the pads with a screwdriver wider than the thickness of the rotor, the piston is not the problem. If it springs back, remove the reservoir cap off and push the piston back again. It should push fluid out the top, and stay pushed back this time. If then it still drags, remove and clean the caliper slider pins and bores.

Also, some after market pads are a little "springy" when new, which contributes to this.

+1 :censored: i always take the cap off the resevior when installing new pads. Just make sure you have a towel handy when it starts leaking fluid out of the top of the reservior.

• kawirider

Posted February 07, 2007 - 11:13 AM

I did get EBC pads.

Are ya'll saying that I should just pull the cap off the master cylinder and push the pads apart?

I put grease on the pad pin (that little hex head pin). However, before I went to bed I was reading one of my books and it said to "never grease the pad pin". A guy at my local shop says that I should. Thoughts?

• socal_sierra

Posted February 07, 2007 - 11:20 AM

I did get EBC pads.

Are ya'll saying that I should just pull the cap off the master cylinder and push the pads apart?

I put grease on the pad pin (that little hex head pin). However, before I went to bed I was reading one of my books and it said to "never grease the pad pin". A guy at my local shop says that I should. Thoughts?

yup pull the cap off and wrap a towel around the resevior incase it overflows while you push the pistion in. That should give you plenty of room. Because what happens as the pads wear you have to add more fluid to compensate. Then when you go to install new pad you no longer have that clearence because you added fluid..

• grayracer513

Posted February 07, 2007 - 01:45 PM

The pins shouldn't be greased because they will gather dirt if they are. They need to be kept clean though. If you want, you can lube them with a dry graphite or moly lube, but keep it off the pads.

• kawirider

Posted February 07, 2007 - 07:04 PM

Well you guys certainly answered my question 100%. Thanks!

• socal_sierra

Posted February 08, 2007 - 05:05 AM

Well you guys certainly answered my question 100%. Thanks!

no problemo :censored:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.