yz 450f slow speed cornering

19 replies to this topic
  • djtroy

Posted February 06, 2007 - 10:50 PM

I went to the track today and I was ripping around with my cousin who rides a 2007 crf 150r and I was a bit bummed because he was able to turn into the inside lines so much easier than I was. I know its a much smaller bike but I don't want this kid to beat me on the track because I have to go to the middle or outside lines.
Is there anything you guys recommend to make this big beast turn in a little bit better. It doesn't push or anything but I just don't have a whole lot of confidence driving it in hard in the tight stuff. As far as cornering on the berms and sandy corners its very predictable and corners good in the berms but the tight inside ruts and tight stuff is tough it just doesn't seem to want to turn down into them.

• motobeck

Posted February 07, 2007 - 04:25 AM

What year is your YZ450? If it is an 06/07, than just dive into the corners as tight as you want... she'll go anywhere you put her! If the doesn't work, grab a handful and hang on, you should be able to flat out run that 150 even if you are coming to a dead stop in the corners!

• billyo

Posted February 07, 2007 - 07:46 AM

if its an 06 or 07, try this.
1. raise forks so that the line is 3mm above the fork. this will be a total of about 8mm from flush.
2. run sag 95mm
3. make sure front tire is in good condition and is specific to the terrain you ride on. 12 psi helps too.
4. most important... after your braking is done entering the corner, make a conscious effort to get forward on the bike. that will put more nose weight on the bike and allow you to catch the inside lines easier. i've noticed the yzf reacts noticably different in relation to where i am sitting through the corner. take notice where you are on the seat. the yz450 will cut an inside line very well. it just needs a bit more body english compared to... lets just say an rmz450. its a small price to pay for such a stable light feeling 450.

give that try and give us some feedback. good luck...

• Ga426owner

Posted February 07, 2007 - 07:57 AM

tire choice is key here also.......:censored:
You are in Florida - a good sand tire or Starcross MS3/ will help with confisence to twist the throttle all the way through the apex......entrance and exit...

• kawirider

Posted February 07, 2007 - 11:19 AM

So what if you have to go the outside.....just get on the gas early to help you bring the rear end around and blow past him in the straight while doing a wheelie in 3rd gear. I dont care how fast he is, you have a 450 and with the right tires and a little more aggression you should be blowing his doors off.....unless he is a young james stewart kind of guy.

• grayracer513

Posted February 07, 2007 - 01:42 PM

A couple of weeks back, I went to Cahuilla Creek. There was a guy there on a steel framed YZ450 who was taking the far outside, or starting from there and cutting across and in, and was just insanely fast. It can be done. You just have to do what the bike is capable of.

• 700MX

Posted February 07, 2007 - 05:06 PM

Reed could cut inside you on a 86 yz490.

Do you think it could possibly be the rider not the bike?

as well as droping your clamps 5mm, and decreasing your sag, read some cornering tips in TWMX and practice them. Maybe your cousin wont roost you so bad.

Sorry, had to say it

• DaveJ

Posted February 08, 2007 - 12:29 PM

I went to the track today and I was ripping around with my cousin who rides a 2007 crf 150r and I was a bit bummed because he was able to turn into the inside lines so much easier than I was. I know its a much smaller bike but I don't want this kid to beat me on the track because I have to go to the middle or outside lines.
Is there anything you guys recommend to make this big beast turn in a little bit better. It doesn't push or anything but I just don't have a whole lot of confidence driving it in hard in the tight stuff. As far as cornering on the berms and sandy corners its very predictable and corners good in the berms but the tight inside ruts and tight stuff is tough it just doesn't seem to want to turn down into them.

There are obviously some big differences between these two bikes, and I would not feel embarrassed by getting passed in a tight corner by a CRF150R. It's lower to the ground, has a shorter wheelbase, less weight to move around and still has a fair amount of punch.

I mean...by comparison, a $4000 shifter kart can out turn and out accelerate (0-40) most if not all high-end super cars - it just becomes a different story when you want to take things to the next level.

What I'm getting at is that you're either going to have to make some compromises by getting the bike down lower, or learn to corner the beast.

The YZs don't really have any concerns with hydraulic dive, meaning that re-valving or adjusting the clickers will have little to no effect. Another consideration would be to lower the fork oil height, but you may be out of range on this as well.

Therefore, you can either shift the COG forward, and/or lower it.

Raising the forks in the clamps will help and will also maintain the same amount of travel in other sections of the track. Lowering the fork spring rate will lower the front but may in turn be too soft at other sections. Compromises, compromises.

Do understand that suspension set-ups evolve with rider skill, and often, if done correctly, can help to evolve a rider's talent.

Hope this helps.

• YZ426F Rider

Posted February 08, 2007 - 12:58 PM

All good tips above. Don't worry about being out-cornered by a CRF150R...those are bada$$ little bikes!

Aside from the tips people have already given you I would say hose him down the straight, take the inside line then give him a little brake check followed up with a 45hp roost...then he might not want to take the inside line with you anymore and there goes his advantage. :censored:

By the way, has anybody ridden one of those? They look like they would be a blast to ride.

• grayracer513

Posted February 08, 2007 - 01:10 PM

...give him a little brake check followed up with a 45hp roost....

You would do that to a little kid? :censored:

Reed could cut inside you on a 86 yz490.

THAT was so low I should give you an infraction for it. A 490? A wheel barrow, a shopping cart, or a Sportster, maybe, but a 490? :ride:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • YZ426F Rider

Posted February 08, 2007 - 02:15 PM

You would do that to a little kid? :censored:

I was being somewhat tongue-in-cheek and no, not to a 'little' kid, but do we know that it is a little kid? If he's rippin' on a CRF150R then I don't think he's little or a newb.

• grayracer513

Posted February 08, 2007 - 04:49 PM

I was being somewhat tongue-in-cheek

So was I.

do we know that it is a little kid?

I don't want this kid to beat me

Maybe not "little"' but he won't be big on that bike. :censored:

• motoag93

Posted February 09, 2007 - 08:56 AM

I was at the track late last year on my KX250 smoker and got wasted by a guy on a 150. I could catch him and pass him on the straights but he killed me in the turns....and then taunt me...:censored: . It was good fun, he was obviously a much better rider than I (so is about everyone at the track....lol).

Now that I have my 07 450 I'll be looking for him. He will probably still waste me but he'll get a face of roost at some point. :ride:

• djtroy

Posted February 11, 2007 - 07:28 PM

There are obviously some big differences between these two bikes, and I would not feel embarrassed by getting passed in a tight corner by a CRF150R. It's lower to the ground, has a shorter wheelbase, less weight to move around and still has a fair amount of punch.

I mean...by comparison, a $4000 shifter kart can out turn and out accelerate (0-40) most if not all high-end super cars - it just becomes a different story when you want to take things to the next level.

What I'm getting at is that you're either going to have to make some compromises by getting the bike down lower, or learn to corner the beast.

The YZs don't really have any concerns with hydraulic dive, meaning that re-valving or adjusting the clickers will have little to no effect. Another consideration would be to lower the fork oil height, but you may be out of range on this as well.

Therefore, you can either shift the COG forward, and/or lower it.

Raising the forks in the clamps will help and will also maintain the same amount of travel in other sections of the track. Lowering the fork spring rate will lower the front but may in turn be too soft at other sections. Compromises, compromises.

Do understand that suspension set-ups evolve with rider skill, and often, if done correctly, can help to evolve a rider's talent.

Hope this helps.

Sorry guys I have been at the race tracks all weekend. This is the point I was getting at and Im so glad you came to the table with nice comparisons DaveJ.
I was starting to get offended with the you suck as a rider because the Yamaha 450 can beat anything on the planet comments I was getting.

I was simply asking if there was a way to make the 450 turn in a little better. I will be getting some work done to my front springs because im a 220lb fast C rider and the front seems to be bottoming on the big hits. This was the reason for the post hoping someone would say messing with the clickers wouldn't do much etc etc. I do appreciate the advice.
If I was to go with stiffer springs wouldn't this make the cornering in the tight stuff that much worse?

PS the "kid" is 15 and he RIPS. Hes 120lbs. I'm a top 10 C rider I own a 2006 450 and have been riding since I was 16. I am a bit fat and out of shape220lbs 5'10. I drink quite often, I eat whatever I want. I have a few bad habits too. I can still beat the kid hands down but he just gets in and out of the inside ruts so damn fast and this is where and only place where he is faster.

• grayracer513

Posted February 11, 2007 - 08:54 PM

I was starting to get offended with the you suck as a rider because the Yamaha 450 can beat anything on the planet comments I was getting.

Ask those making these comments why it is that they can't beat the "kid"...:censored:

• YZ426F Rider

Posted February 12, 2007 - 08:48 AM

PS the "kid" is 15 and he RIPS.

Good recommendations on bike setup posted above...once you have your bike tweaked just right I would then go with the 'brake check followed up with a 45hp roost' advice!:censored:

• mxjosh

Posted February 12, 2007 - 10:04 AM

Personally I would be surprised of anyone out cornering those smaller bikes. If they are of equal skill level the smaller bike will corner better. Its just how it works.

As far as making the bike better, springs make a huge difference. If you're too heavy for the stock springs the forks will be riding lower in the stroke. If the bike is made to corner at its best higher in the stroke, your missing out on what it was intended do.

• djtroy

Posted February 12, 2007 - 10:23 AM

Personally I would be surprised of anyone out cornering those smaller bikes. If they are of equal skill level the smaller bike will corner better. Its just how it works.

As far as making the bike better, springs make a huge difference. If you're too heavy for the stock springs the forks will be riding lower in the stroke. If the bike is made to corner at its best higher in the stroke, your missing out on what it was intended do.

I actually though the opposite and im no expert but I figured if the springs were a bit too soft for me the bike would probabally be cornering better than if I was to stiffen it up. Wouldnt softer spings make it a bit lower and therefore corner a bit better in the tight stuff??

• djtroy

Posted February 12, 2007 - 10:25 AM

Good recommendations on bike setup posted above...once you have your bike tweaked just right I would then go with the 'brake check followed up with a 45hp roost' advice!:censored:

I roosted a guy once by mistake and he didnt have his goggles on. He said the sand hit him so hard in the face it was like he got punched by Mike Tyson right in the grill. I felt really bad and I almost blinded the guy. I hate when noobs roll the jumps then roost down the backside and you happen to be in their line and take it right in the face. THAT SUCKS I felt bad for doing just that.

• grayracer513

Posted February 12, 2007 - 10:41 AM

I actually though the opposite and im no expert but I figured if the springs were a bit too soft for me the bike would probabally be cornering better than if I was to stiffen it up. Wouldnt softer spings make it a bit lower and therefore corner a bit better in the tight stuff??

No. The lower CG part of it would help, but a big part of cornering is the way the weight and steering forces are applied to the tires. That's where the suspension comes in. Keeping the wheels in solid contact with the ground is what it's supposed to do, and if the springs aren't right, you can't get the rest of it to work, either.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.