my 2001 426 wont start

8 replies to this topic
  • yamahaYzDAWSON

Posted February 05, 2007 - 07:43 PM

i cant get mine to run even though ive checked spark, timing, intake, exaust anything but i still cant even get it to turn over a few times i m thinking about also getting an auto decomp. cam but im not sure if i need it please help

• Goosedog

Posted February 06, 2007 - 05:02 AM

Try a fresh plug just for the hell of it. 90% of the time mine won't fire this'll fix it.

• King_Air

Posted February 06, 2007 - 05:44 AM

Try a fresh plug just for the hell of it. 90% of the time mine won't fire this'll fix it.

I second this quick and easy check. This has been my experience also.

• tc66nova

Posted February 06, 2007 - 05:53 AM

I will also say change the plug. And yes you need the auto decompression cam. I would have have sold my 02 426 by 03 if I had not made the switch.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • yama426rider

Posted February 06, 2007 - 09:51 AM

Deffinatley change your plug. Every time i have a problem like this the plug fixes it. So get that changed and the cam mod is a must i would have also sold to buy an 03 if had not done it.:censored:

• Florida_426

Posted February 07, 2007 - 08:34 AM

The fresh plug, clean the carburetor passages thoroughly and look for any air leaks in the entire intake system. If you have spark, gas getting into the cylinder and compression it should fire. If all these are present and it won't fire off check the valve clearance.

Best of luck. these bikes are really reliable, I love my 02 426.

Bill

• Type Gendy

Posted February 08, 2007 - 10:00 AM

do you really have to take the gas tank off to change the plug on these?? :/

• grayracer513

Posted February 08, 2007 - 10:09 AM

With the right tool combination, it is actually possible to do it without pulling the tank, but it's still both faster and easier just to take it off.

• Type Gendy

Posted February 08, 2007 - 10:28 AM

yea thats what i figured, thanks

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.