Has anybody got an fmf Q4 yet?

23 replies to this topic
  • madroberts07

Posted February 05, 2007 - 05:47 PM

I was wondering because I have an 04 WR450 with the stock pipe and all the free mod's done to it. I'm in colorado there is no noise restictions here so I run the bike wide open with no baffle. I love the power and response of the bike this way,:ride: but some times it's two loud even for me and I like my bikes to run loud. I tryed the 03-04 gytr insert and was not impressed. It absolutley nutered my bike. I modifyed it by cutting it in half, still the bike felt like it had no power. Is there anyone who has tryed an fmf Q2/Q4 or the procircuit 496? I'm afraid to spend the money to find out wich one works.:ride:

• ffgman

Posted February 06, 2007 - 01:40 PM

Dude, Be smart and run a quiet exhaust on your bike. Noise is the biggest issue thats going to f--- us in the future. I have a Q on my 04 and a Q4 on my 07. The Q-4 is actually quieter than the Q and I think it breathes better. A few horsepower one way or another is going to make no difference in how you ride. Its all in the right hand, be smart and do the right thing.

• Glenner

Posted February 06, 2007 - 01:43 PM

Put a Q4 on my 07 all free mods and JD jetting and bike rips

• clark4131

Posted February 06, 2007 - 07:23 PM

If you want to split the difference, get a Ti Powercore with the quiet insert. It's not as quiet as the Q-series, but mine tested at 98 decibels with a friends meter. Performance-wise, it was night and day when I switched to it from my old Q2...SC

• DEZZNUTJOB

Posted February 07, 2007 - 11:00 AM

Good to hear boy cuz my Q4 was delivered and sitting on my door step when I got home last night.:censored:

• CJ06WR

Posted February 07, 2007 - 01:06 PM

If you want to split the difference, get a Ti Powercore with the quiet insert. It's not as quiet as the Q-series, but mine tested at 98 decibels with a friends meter. Performance-wise, it was night and day when I switched to it from my old Q2...SC

I have an 06 WR450 and am looking at replacing the exhaust. I feel a need for a little more juice in the deep sand. Noise is a big issue here in SoCal and have been looking at the FMF Q series, but at the same time thinking about the Ti Powercore with the quiet insert. Thanks for your opinion, My questions is do you run yours without the insert and how much of a difference do you feel in power and noise?

• stroker

Posted February 07, 2007 - 06:53 PM

If we refuse to get our act together and be responsible by running quiet pipes they will legislate us, and I guarantee if it goes that way they will be requiring much lower than 96 Dba, give up a little tiny bit of boost, and keep the few riding areas we have left open.

Or stay loud and irresponsible, shut it all down, sell the now useless bike and take up golf... personally, I would rather pour gas in my eyes!

• clark4131

Posted February 07, 2007 - 09:11 PM

I have an 06 WR450 and am looking at replacing the exhaust. I feel a need for a little more juice in the deep sand. Noise is a big issue here in SoCal and have been looking at the FMF Q series, but at the same time thinking about the Ti Powercore with the quiet insert. Thanks for your opinion, My questions is do you run yours without the insert and how much of a difference do you feel in power and noise?

I only run it with the quiet insert after trying it out. It made no discernible difference in power, just noise, so it stays in all the time...SC

• CJ06WR

Posted February 08, 2007 - 05:51 PM

Thanks for getting back to me. I am trying not to waste $300 on a product that does not fit my needs. If I remember correctly (some time ago), you were so impressed with the Ti Powercore that you started a forum letting all of us how happy you were with the product. Thanks again!

• VCHSS 81F

Posted February 08, 2007 - 06:19 PM

I have the Q and it don't seem that quit.It's louder than stock.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • DEZZNUTJOB

Posted February 09, 2007 - 07:08 AM

Hey holmz's what size main jet should I be using after I've done all the free mods and installed a Q4 with a power bomb ?

• madroberts07

Posted February 09, 2007 - 06:16 PM

Hey holmz's what size main jet should I be using after I've done all the free mods and installed a Q4 with a power bomb ?

I would go with a 168 or 170 main :censored:

• madroberts07

Posted February 10, 2007 - 12:43 PM

Dude, Be smart and run a quiet exhaust on your bike. Noise is the biggest issue thats going to f--- us in the future. I have a Q on my 04 and a Q4 on my 07. The Q-4 is actually quieter than the Q and I think it breathes better. A few horsepower one way or another is going to make no difference in how you ride. Its all in the right hand, be smart and do the right thing.

Don,t worry I ended up getting the yoshimura trc pipe with the 96 db end on it and I love it the bike is quiet and still rips:eek: It works 100 times better than the stocker with the gytr insert:thumbsup:

• mikinnun

Posted February 13, 2007 - 05:24 AM

Ti Powercore looks very interesting...

Anyway it was tested in December Dirt Rider and measured noise was 93.7dB. Does anybody know with or w/o noise damper?

DRD SA or Ti powercore to select...comments? Somewhere mentioned that Ti Powercore very thin. Where I can get slip on of DRD SA?

TX,
MK

• JSanfilippo

Posted February 13, 2007 - 01:58 PM

Ti Powercore looks very interesting...

Anyway it was tested in December Dirt Rider and measured noise was 93.7dB. Does anybody know with or w/o noise damper?

I remember that article, that 93.7 db was on the CRF 250x. The WR with the same set up blew 95 and change. It was stated that both bikes were tested with the quiet insert...a wide open TI powercore is deafening.

• numroe

Posted April 24, 2007 - 04:50 AM

I have a Q on my 04 and a Q4 on my 07. The Q-4 is actually quieter than the Q and I think it breathes better. A

I have a Q2 on my KX450F, actually a Ti-Q which is the Q2 design, and in terms of flow/torque, I'd rate it as a choker considering how loud it is. It would appear that the maint free turbine S/A does not flow well into the hole in the end cap. I plan to cut the turbine S/A out, and aim rework the rear compartment with free flowing cancellation tubes so it both flows better and is quieter too. Maybe also add some sound absorbing material to the inside of the end cap.

For certain riding locations, I also have fitted a stock WR450-06 alum muffler to my KX450F, using a super light mid pipe. This muffler is wisper quiet and the remaining torque is surprisingly satisfactory considering how quiet it is. For flow versus noise this Yam WR450-06 muffler is very efficient. It loses a tonne of throttle snap compared with stock, but the torque when more throttle is opened is good right over the rev range. Very happy with it. More noise from the air intake than the exhaust.

About the Q4: Can you describe the internal design? eg. Have two compartments like the Q2? Screen or turbine S/A? A photo with the rear cap off?

• ffstink

Posted September 27, 2007 - 02:47 PM

Does your powercore run at 98 db with the quiet insert? I am looking for exhaust for my '07 so I called FMF today and asked about the Q4 and the Ti Powercore- the guy told me for riding in Ca that the Ti Powercore w/the quiet insert (which claims to be 96 db) would not meet our restrictions. He said go with the Q4...does anyone know the performance difference between the two?Is it night and day?

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted September 27, 2007 - 05:38 PM

Does your powercore run at 98 db with the quiet insert? I am looking for exhaust for my '07 so I called FMF today and asked about the Q4 and the Ti Powercore- the guy told me for riding in Ca that the Ti Powercore w/the quiet insert (which claims to be 96 db) would not meet our restrictions. He said go with the Q4...does anyone know the performance difference between the two?Is it night and day?

I have the FMF factory 4 and wasted time and money :thumbsup: with that damn quiet packing and the quiet insert on the pipe. FMF gladly sold it to me. I race D37 and it consistently blow 98.5 with the $80 of stuff I wasted packing into it. I need to be at 96 or below to guarantee I can race.

The Q4 is probably the way to go.

btw... I worked the sound check at a race in Sept. The yamaha 450's were by far the loudest damn bike out there. Ktm's are by far the quietest 4 strokes.

• jpoehls

Posted September 27, 2007 - 06:19 PM

Dude...I run the Q4 and love it. Its quiet and has power to spare. I am a weekend 40 something off road rider. I ride tight single track in the moutains, but am still a novice rider. The 07 WR450 has power to burn IMHO, so the issue of power loss with the pipe is a non-issue for me. I support the prior opinion that we better manage our noise, or someone else will do it for us. I like loud bikes, but we have to be pro-active on this issue.

• numroe

Posted September 27, 2007 - 06:33 PM

Dude...I run the Q4 and love it.

A re-write of my earlier posting in this thread: Have you ever pulled your Q4 apart (to re-pack) so you could describe for us the rear baffle chamber arrangement?

I have a Q2 (Ti version) for my KX450F. It's not real quiet, and it chokes the power too much. So I've been using my stock muffler with a db-dawg. I am keen to replace my Q2's turbine spark arrestor with some other kind of arrangement. I've already cut it out of there. What ever arrangement is in the Q4 sounds very good according the reports on TT. Otherwise I think I might just rebuild it with a similar design to the last chamber in the WR450-06/07 muffler, but slightly larger pipes for a little more flow.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.