Handlebar question

10 replies to this topic
  • SkyRaider

Posted February 05, 2007 - 02:27 PM

Ok, before you flame me, I did use the search function, but I couldn't really find exactly what I'm looking for.

Also, please keep in mind that 1) all I do is trail riding; and 2) I simply don't know that much about bikes.

So, here we go. A couple of weeks ago, I wrecked and bent the stock bars on my '05 WR450. They are not too bad, so they could probably be bent back, but I understand that is not something you want to do. That, coupled with the fact that I have always felt that they were too short for me when I stand up, has led me to think about replacing my bars. I'm only 5'11", but my legs and arms are long. Basically, I have no torso to speak of.

Decision #1: 7/8 or 1 1/8? I'm leaning towards the bigger bar. I also assume that the universal big bar mounts such as the Renthals will work for any 1 1/8 bar, correct?

Decision #2: Is there a bar that's better for trail type riding, or are they all pretty much the same. For example, the ads say that the Renthal Twinwalls are made especially for motocross and supercross. Does that mean they are not good for trails?

Decision #3 (and this is the bigger one): Which bend is recommended? I know that this is a choice based on personal preference, but I don't have the ability to try a number of bars to compare, so I want to try to get it right the first time. I'm not a good enough rider for this to be a critical decision, but I would like a little more room.

Thanks in advance for your help.

• CSS9961

Posted February 05, 2007 - 02:44 PM

I can't answer all of your questions, but I put taller bars on an XR400 that I had, and it made a world of difference. I put ProTaper risers, and the bars were TAG Metals. I never had any problems with them.

I don't think any kind of bar would be strictly off limits for trail riding. Check out the Thumpertalk store, and look at their selection of Pro Taper bars. The Pastrana FMX is their tallest bar, I think. I am planning to order a set.

Good luck!

Posted February 05, 2007 - 02:52 PM

The bottom bar mount is made to the triple clamp on the 05's. You'll have to get a new upper triple clamp to use 1 1/8 bars.

• SkyRaider

Posted February 05, 2007 - 03:00 PM

Boo on that. Now, we're talking some real money. Won't the bar mounts here http://shop.thumpert...cles.asp?ID=132 work?

• Howzer

Posted February 05, 2007 - 03:09 PM

You won't need a new top triple clamp you can get a mount that fits in the standard triple clamp and then your 1 1/8 bars fit in that and it'll raise them a little, Renthal fat bar is the one i've got.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • clark4131

Posted February 05, 2007 - 04:15 PM

You can get a 7/8" to 1 1/8" adapter that will bolt in. As far as bends go, it's what you like, there is no woods/desert/track/trail specific bend. The CR High is very popular, and I'd recommend going with something from Pro Taper as far as brand. I run the Henry/Reed on mine with a Scotts Sub Mount and I love the added height, but it's all about personal preference...SC

• toyota_mdt_tech

Posted February 05, 2007 - 10:27 PM

I found the stock bars to be short. Felt it coming down long grades. I just used the Pro Taper SE (SE= seven eigths) and got the "CR Bend". About the same as WR/YZ, but taller by a few inches. About $60

Posted February 06, 2007 - 09:10 AM

Are you running handguards? I put 1-1/8" twinwalls bars w/ a Charmichael bend on my '06 wr 450. The universal protaper universal mounts worked, but then my handguards didn't fit. Ended up replacing the handgurds too. I went with the Fastway handguards that attach to the bar mounts. They didn't work with the universal bar mounts and ended up with new tag metal bar mounts. That would mean new top clamp for you(I think). Consider your handguard options

• SkyRaider

Posted February 06, 2007 - 11:59 AM

I'm running MSR handguards, but they have a mount kit for 1 1/8 bars. Won't that work?

Posted February 06, 2007 - 12:53 PM

I was running msr guards. The Universal mount has 4 holes offset from each other. You put the lower universal mount on first. It bolts up to the stock location. The next holes are set to the outside of the stock holes. Then, the top of the bar clamp bolts at the outer location. The stock locations are covered up at this point.They then become wider at the base of the handle bar, interfering with the handguard mount. A different bend may not have the same problem. If I were you I would just go with a handlebar-top clamp combo.(Less headache) If you can remove your bar mount from the top clamp you can get tag metal oversized bar mounts and oversized bars. you can look into the triple clamp mount for your handguards. If you go with protaper bars you may not experience any of this. The cross bar on the twin walls interfere with handguard mounts. I never tried pro taper. this only relates to a twin wall bar.

• SID013

Posted February 06, 2007 - 03:48 PM

I'm running a Tag Metal T2 1 1/8" bar & am 6'1" & found the original Renthals way to short. I bought a generic 7/8" to 1 1/8" bar adaptor which also raised the bars 3/4" & I now have a nice open cockpit & a setup which is comfortable when standing. I do 99% trail riding with tight trails & sandy tracks. I had to buy Barkbuster handguard bar clamps to suit the bigger bar but it allowed me to use the standard handguards.

Hope this helps.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.