07 Sputtering at high speed- is this normal?

32 replies to this topic
  • Island Boy

Posted February 05, 2007 - 06:26 AM

Just did all the mods on my 2007 WR450, installed DRD Full Race Exhaust, removed airbox snorkel, disconnected grey wire, changed to YZ throttle stop. AIS is next but waiting for the 07 kit. JD Jetting:170, 48 jets and blue needle. I am at sea level / Caribbean climate.

The bike abolutely rips. I am very pleased. This is my first WR so I am not sure if this is normal...

At 40 mph or more at a constant throttle, the feel is not smooth and the bike kinda sputters a bit. Still breaking the bike in so not sure if this will smooth out. I dont expect the WR to be as smmoth as a street bike but I am just a little concerned and wondering if I need to simply adjust something.

Thanks, any help would be greatly appreciated.

• atkinse

Posted February 05, 2007 - 11:39 AM

Your problem will be solved when you do the AIS, its like biulding a V8 motor without carbs. Once all is done you will be happy, I promise. You can use the 06 AIS kit, there have been several posts on the toppic. We all used 06 kits and they worked just fine.

• Humunn

Posted February 05, 2007 - 12:25 PM

Good question. I'm having the same problem but am also waiting for the 07 AIS kit.

• clark4131

Posted February 05, 2007 - 12:55 PM

The AIS does not cause sputtering! It is plugged in AFTER the combustion cycle simply to help burn unspent combustibles in the exhaust, i.e. smog pump. At worst, you'll get an abundance of deceleration popping and farting. If you're sputtering/missing at high speeds you have jetting issues or you're bumping the rev limiter. If you're in the Bahamas and using a Blue needle, that's likely your problem. The Blue needle tends toward colder weather. I'd move to a Red 3/4 and if that doesn't work, bump the Main another step...SC

• MountainMax

Posted February 05, 2007 - 01:13 PM

sounds like the tps sensor to me, just try unplugging it and ride again, it cured my problem......

• Fullbore4

Posted February 05, 2007 - 01:28 PM

The AIS does not cause sputtering! It is plugged in AFTER the combustion cycle simply to help burn unspent combustibles in the exhaust, i.e. smog pump. At worst, you'll get an abundance of deceleration popping and farting. If you're sputtering/missing at high speeds you have jetting issues or you're bumping the rev limiter. If you're in the Bahamas and using a Blue needle, that's likely your problem. The Blue needle tends toward colder weather. I'd move to a Red 3/4 and if that doesn't work, bump the Main another step...SC

Ditto.....the sputter is from using the blue....put in the red.

• marcoma

Posted February 05, 2007 - 08:14 PM

I'm running the red at about 3000 above sea level and I get the same problem. Would a bigger main cure this? Mine happens on about half throttle at a constant speed.

• clark4131

Posted February 05, 2007 - 08:55 PM

I'm running the red at about 3000 above sea level and I get the same problem. Would a bigger main cure this? Mine happens on about half throttle at a constant speed.

Sounds like the TPS. Disconnect it and see if it goes away. If it does, try to adjust the voltage per the manual and try again...SC

• jim_wr250f

Posted February 07, 2007 - 12:48 AM

Im having the same problem. The bike will surge at a certain rev range. ie at 100km/h in 5th gear and 80km/h in 4th gear. What is this TPS sensor and where do disconnect it?

• jim_wr250f

Posted February 07, 2007 - 12:49 AM

Ill also mention being the australian model we dont have any AIS.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MountainMax

Posted February 07, 2007 - 03:34 AM

I already said this, TPS, just try it guys, and report back, quick and simple to unplug to test........

• jim_wr250f

Posted February 07, 2007 - 03:47 AM

Yeah i dont know what the TPS is? and where i disconect it?

• jim_wr250f

Posted February 07, 2007 - 10:26 PM

Any help please?

• Fullbore4

Posted February 07, 2007 - 10:34 PM

Any help please?

TPS (throttle position sensor) is on the left side of carb but you have take off the tank for easy access........Its a 3 pin connector......use a small flat blade driver to depress the catch. Your manual shows what it is also. On second thought I can't even remember if you have to take off the tank as I sadly sit here waiting for the temp to warm up so I can ride again.

• clark4131

Posted February 08, 2007 - 06:56 AM

On the steel framers, you don't have to remove anything, but I don't know about the aluminums. Just unplug the connector coming off the carb and you're there...SC

• Humunn

Posted February 08, 2007 - 08:28 AM

Is this an issue with only the 450s? Only the 07s? I also have an 02 250 and didn't have this problem.

• jim_wr250f

Posted February 08, 2007 - 04:59 PM

Well mine is an 07 450. I rang the dealer anyway about the dodgy airfilter cage and they said there is a recall and we should recieve a letter in the mail about it soon. They said they want the whole bike back to change the cage so while im there im just guna make them fix the sputtering which they say theyve had no other complaints about.

• clark4131

Posted February 08, 2007 - 08:02 PM

...while im there im just guna make them fix the sputtering which they say theyve had no other complaints about.

They won't be able to fix it, guaranteed. They're going to tell you they found nothing wrong with it. Plug the filter hole, disconnect the TPS, and take it for a spin up the block. If it stops sputtering, then you know. These bikes were not designed for steady throttle on paved roadways. On the the dirt you don't feel the TPS working...SC

• James_Dean

Posted February 08, 2007 - 11:17 PM

Just did all the mods on my 2007 WR450, installed DRD Full Race Exhaust, removed airbox snorkel, disconnected grey wire, changed to YZ throttle stop. AIS is next but waiting for the 07 kit. JD Jetting:170, 48 jets and blue needle. I am at sea level / Caribbean climate.

The bike abolutely rips. I am very pleased. This is my first WR so I am not sure if this is normal...

At 40 mph or more at a constant throttle, the feel is not smooth and the bike kinda sputters a bit. Still breaking the bike in so not sure if this will smooth out. I dont expect the WR to be as smmoth as a street bike but I am just a little concerned and wondering if I need to simply adjust something.

Thanks, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Try running the Red marked needle in the #5 from top clip position if disconnecting the throttle position sensor (TPS) does not stop the sputter. In most cases the WR's have a steady speed stutter at speeds near 30-50mph. The ignition cuts out intermittently at steady cruise, but then works smooth on acceleration.

Thanks,
James

• jim_wr250f

Posted February 08, 2007 - 11:42 PM

Can someone please circle or put an arrow where the sensor is.

Posted Image

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.