wr fuel economy??????

36 replies to this topic
  • jivenene

Posted March 01, 2007 - 06:33 PM

For comparison, I have a '99WR400 w/ YZ pipe, and i get ~48mpg, but that is on the street (DOT road tires), and not going crazy. When i had all the dirt stuff on, i would get ~27mpg. pretty crappy for a 400cc motor, but then again it aint designed for fuel efficiency, that was the last thing on their minds.

• Tough Guy

Posted March 04, 2007 - 11:51 AM

The 07 WR info says the tank is only 2.1 Gallons....wasn't the 06 and older 2.8?

So a 40-50 mile range may be pushing it. :applause:

I generally rode 50-60 miles on the XR 400R and didn't give gas a second thought, I may need to invest in a bigger tank for the WR.

Chris

• clark4131

Posted March 04, 2007 - 02:14 PM

They went to the 2.1 in '05...I love my Acerbis 3.4...100 miles, no sweat...SC

• msgbean

Posted March 04, 2007 - 03:00 PM

The bottom line is that it all depends on how you ride it. If I go on a trip and putt around with my Dad's 4 wheeler buddies I can get 35-40 mpg. If I ride hard with my riding buddies I get about 25 mpg.

• Bleeds_Blue

Posted March 04, 2007 - 03:22 PM

Last ride I went on, got about 56 miles w/ reserve.

• Tough Guy

Posted March 04, 2007 - 03:24 PM

The bottom line is that it all depends on how you ride it. If I go on a trip and putt around with my Dad's 4 wheeler buddies I can get 35-40 mpg. If I ride hard with my riding buddies I get about 25 mpg.

Well, I ride with gizzers out to fly, ride and jump higher and faster....I had to sell the XR 400R and get the WR 450F so I could maybe keep up....:applause:

Chris

• BlueBikeMan

Posted March 05, 2007 - 09:50 AM

Recently went on a 54 mile loop, mix of powerline, fire roads, single track and hill climbs, :applause: went on reserve at 44 miles, slowed down some to make the last 10 miles with only vapor left when I hit the truck:eek: . I need a bigger tank......

• gdm

Posted March 05, 2007 - 09:57 AM

Free mods, clipped grey wire, PMB insert, 30-35 mpg. Get the Acerbis 3.3 gal. tank and have no worries.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • bandit99

Posted March 05, 2007 - 10:01 AM

I have a Clarke 2.8 and hit reserve at 80 miles. I figure 30-35mpg. I just bought the Aqualine 4.1 gallon tank for Baja. It was expensive but fit good. I think I will need to run 2 petcocks in order to utilize all the gas.

• Bleeds_Blue

Posted March 05, 2007 - 06:16 PM

Recently went on a 54 mile loop, mix of powerline, fire roads, single track and hill climbs, :applause: went on reserve at 44 miles, slowed down some to make the last 10 miles with only vapor left when I hit the truck:eek: . I need a bigger tank......

I hear that man.

• CRF45OX

Posted March 05, 2007 - 09:44 PM

i have an 03 wr450, and was wondering, when the fuel gets low, how the hell does the fuel on the right side of the tank get over to the fuel valve on the left side?

when it runs out, is it common practice to lay the bike over so the fuel on the right side gets to the fuel valve?

• davo ttt

Posted March 06, 2007 - 02:27 AM

i have an 03 wr450, and was wondering, when the fuel gets low, how the hell does the fuel on the right side of the tank get over to the fuel valve on the left side?

when it runs out, is it common practice to lay the bike over so the fuel on the right side gets to the fuel valve?

no is the answer its too hard for a shitty typer like me to explain lol little vertical hose above your fuel tap the rest u have 2 pull it apart 2 see cant type eating

• davo ttt

Posted March 06, 2007 - 02:29 AM

no is the answer its too hard for a shitty typer like me to explain lol little vertical hose above your fuel tap the rest u have 2 pull it apart 2 see cant type eating

ps the rightside is not reserve the whole bottom 20/30 or 10% is the reserve

• TheCure

Posted March 06, 2007 - 02:23 PM

Yep, my 06 is a 2.1 gallon stock. Stupid small.
I threw a 3.4 gallon IMS on. Check it out.

http://img.photobuck...cs/IMG_2348.jpg

http://img.photobuck...cs/IMG_2349.jpg

• CRF45OX

Posted March 06, 2007 - 10:27 PM

yes i understand that the last 10% of the whole tank is the reserve but, there is the hump in the middle of the tank where it sits on the frame - how does the fuel on the bottom of the right side of the tank get over that hump and reach the fuel valve?

what im saying is when u run out of fuel (reserve fuel even) there would be fuel stuck in the bottom of the right side of the tank that cant reach the fuel valve because of the hump in the middle that is stopping the fuel from getting across to the left side of the tank.

this is probably only for 03 + 04 models with the larger 10Lt tank - maybe thats why they changed it to a smaller tank in the 05+ models.

• AFM546

Posted October 07, 2007 - 06:12 AM

what im saying is when u run out of fuel (reserve fuel even) there would be fuel stuck in the bottom of the right side of the tank that cant reach the fuel valve because of the hump in the middle that is stopping the fuel from getting across to the left side of the tank.

Yesterday I took the tank off and drained the fuel from my '03 and I had to tilt it back and then over on its left side to get all the fuel from the right side to drain out. Since a portion of the right side "wing" is below the petcock there is no way all the fuel will transfer to the left side over the hump without help. This is physics. I guess that means the first time you run dry on reserve you have to lean the bike over and help the remaining fuel over to the left side. I suppose it beats carrying extra fuel in a can strapped to the rear fender.

I am running an Edelbrock carb and routinely get 60+ mpg on forest roads and smooth trails, but I don't gas it much. In theory that means I could get 156 miles on the stock 2.6 gal tank. On my last ride I hit reserve at 131 miles on the odometer and got 62 mpg.

• Bleeds_Blue

Posted October 07, 2007 - 09:32 AM

Removed the 2.1, sold to a guy with a YZ450, fits his bike perfect(and his stock shrouds). Changed out the stocker for an Acerbis 3.3...

Posted Image

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.