oil in airbox

10 replies to this topic
  • YUKI

Posted February 04, 2007 - 08:31 PM

Need some help here: My 06 XRL consumes oil. I just open the airbox to look at the filter and it is soaked with clean engine oil. I can't go back to the dealer, since, I have removed the smog. Any suggesions?

ThanX

• YubaRider

Posted February 04, 2007 - 08:52 PM

Try posting in the Honda forum. I have never heard of this... and the thing still runs with oil traveling through the carb? How many times have you cleaned your filter?:ride: :ride:

• Bill_P

Posted February 04, 2007 - 08:54 PM

first off, I highly doubt that your dealer will care that you removed the smog stuff. :ride:

See if there's a breather that comes off the crank and goes up into the airbox. My bike always blows out excess oil out the crank breather into my airbox. No big deal, it usually only happens if I overfill it. I wouldn't worry about it unless the oil level is quite low.

• cleonard

Posted February 04, 2007 - 11:14 PM

Need some help here: My 06 XRL consumes oil. I just open the airbox to look at the filter and it is soaked with clean engine oil. I can't go back to the dealer, since, I have removed the smog. Any suggesions?

ThanX

As BillP said, it's usually from having too much oil in the engine. I'll bet this is the only problem here. Do you know how to check it properly?

If you run it wide open at high rpms for extended periods these engines blow out some oil even when not overfilled. The other reason is excessive blow by usually caused by worn out rings. This is a high mileage issue. I really doubt that you have ridden it enough for that. I guess one other possibility is just plain poor ring seal.

• reconranger

Posted February 05, 2007 - 12:09 AM

If you can't eliminate the other possible causes, you may want to consider that you might have bad rings and they are letting pressure pass from the combustion chamber into the sump. The excess pressure is then blowing the oil out the breather.

A compression and leak down test may be in order?????

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 250Rnut

Posted February 05, 2007 - 12:27 AM

wouldnt the bike run less efficient with bad rings and have a noticeable difference in power? do you have a loss of power/ bike smoking out the tail pipe?

• Mike in Fresno

Posted February 05, 2007 - 07:18 AM

or if you tip over and it flows into the hose and then gets into the airbox

• Motosprtman

Posted February 05, 2007 - 09:31 AM

Most likely overserviced with engine oil.

• lazybones51

Posted February 05, 2007 - 09:36 AM

Yup that's one of the xr characteristics over fill it with oil and it will get dumped in your air box , make sure from now on you do i correctly as it can cause your CS seal to blow aswell. :ride:

• YUKI

Posted February 05, 2007 - 09:01 PM

ThanX guys. This bike has consumed oil since I have bought it, however, I do not see smoke coming out - might be because I have been using syntec. oil after the first 300miles (have 3k on it). I use the bike as a daily rider (streets only) - about 20 miles a day - can that effect the oil consumption, or, I just bought a defective unit? I am following the "book" = 2.1q with filter.

• flubber

Posted February 05, 2007 - 11:19 PM

synthetic after 300 miles? i wouldnt think of that till after a couple thousand miles but correct me if im wrong.......

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.