Wife Bike?

35 replies to this topic
  • TWILES

Posted February 06, 2007 - 11:49 AM

I'm scared to get her a 2-stroke. We JUST ride in the woods. It sounds very practical BUT she thinks she's frail and when she busts her ass it will be the end of the world. The 150 Honda just really seems the way to go. If I can take a KX100 for a spin it might change my views. I got a couple months before we can buy anything anyway.

• MSHAM

Posted February 06, 2007 - 01:48 PM

What about one of these from the TT store.
Posted Image
2006 KDX200 MSRP $4199

Sale Price $3949
Reference # TT1823

Buy it

• byggd

Posted February 06, 2007 - 02:04 PM

I looked at both the 150 Honda and TTR125LE and I went with the Yami for three reasons.

1) It's lighter so easier form the wife to pick up
2) Higher ground clearance
3) Lower seat heigth

just my 2 cents

• specialk6r

Posted February 06, 2007 - 02:51 PM

I'd agree, the 150 sounds like a great choice. This is coming from the owner of a TTR125 who knows of the machines agreeable personality, but the CRF feels more like a real bike rather than a play toy. And when you consider the rudimentary physics of picking up an overturned bike, you're not picking up the machines entire weight, so the 40 lb difference between the 2 bikes isn't likely going to be the difference between being stranded and back on the trails. And you can pick up a clean, used one for around $1500. That's my 2 pennies.

• OnyrDer

Posted February 06, 2007 - 02:56 PM

230 with a lowering link....

• TWILES

Posted February 06, 2007 - 03:55 PM

What about one of these from the TT store.
Posted Image
2006 KDX200 MSRP $4199

Sale Price $3949
Reference # TT1823

Buy it

I nearly bought one of those for myself but I was afraid I'd be buried with it. I figured I could sell the WR a little easier. They are too tall for her. They do look cool though.

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted February 06, 2007 - 05:16 PM

I'm scared to get her a 2-stroke. We JUST ride in the woods. It sounds very practical BUT she thinks she's frail and when she busts her ass it will be the end of the world. The 150 Honda just really seems the way to go. If I can take a KX100 for a spin it might change my views. I got a couple months before we can buy anything anyway.

The Kawasaki's (so I'm told) have an adjustable powervalve that you can use to eliminate the 2-stroke hit and make it as smooth as butter.

Also, if busting your ass is the end of the world, then my world has ended many, many times!

• TWILES

Posted February 06, 2007 - 05:20 PM

The Kawasaki's (so I'm told) have an adjustable powervalve that you can use to eliminate the 2-stroke hit and make it as smooth as butter.

Also, if busting your ass is the end of the world, then my world has ended many, many times!

Me too. I'm going to check into a 100 when the sun starts to shine for more than 3 hours again.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MTrowbridge

Posted February 06, 2007 - 09:03 PM

My wife is also 5' 4" tall. We got her a TTR-125LE (large wheel, disc front brake, electric start) and added some BBR mods to raise the height and make it a better all-around off road bike.

The BBR pieces were:

Frame Cradle
Triple Clamps (raise stock bars 1 1/2")
Heavy Duty Springs (front)
Heavy Duty Spring (rear)
Rear Swingarm (raises back 1 1/2" and extends wheelbase same amount).

The bike rides great. Still very forgiving, but handles off road obstacles much better.

BBR also has a 150cc kit to increase the power, but for her it's not necessary.

The bike is very similar in concept to the "WR125" custom trail bike Mini-Rider magazine did a year ago...

• splitpunk

Posted February 07, 2007 - 06:30 AM

My wife used to have a ttr125 She learned on the bike but when I bought an 07wr450 I gave her my 06wr250 and just lowered it myself raised the front tubes and dropped the back shock. she is 5'1 and can now touch the ground.
she loves the bike. The TTR125L was a great bike to learn on though. and what if she decides she dosent want to ride. you could turn the 125 into a play bike.

• TWILES

Posted February 07, 2007 - 02:47 PM

We stopped by her work today and they had a 125LE out and she fits it perfectly. The forks seem to be way to soft. I crawled on it and it felt like a small dirtbike instead of a toy. Some springs, pipe, and she said bars, and she's set.

• resinlips

Posted February 07, 2007 - 08:29 PM

I think you'll be happy with the ttr. Do the BBR mods. if needed. Son has a KX100 and it scares me to think what would happen to wifie if she tried to ride it. The CRF150 seems way too heavy, unless she's a lumber jack. good luck.

• splitpunk

Posted February 07, 2007 - 10:30 PM

:ride: :lol: ck tt classified ads..:censored:

• TWILES

Posted February 08, 2007 - 09:43 AM

I looked at the BBR stuff last night. The 125 with the BBR frame is wild. It seems like the way to go.

• byggd

Posted February 08, 2007 - 11:32 AM

We stopped by her work today and they had a 125LE out and she fits it perfectly. The forks seem to be way to soft. I crawled on it and it felt like a small dirtbike instead of a toy. Some springs, pipe, and she said bars, and she's set.

It really is a decently built little bike all things considered. You can stiffen the forks a little with the settings on top but there isn’t much adjustment there. I hear you can swap the forks from a YZ80 (I think) and it helps a lot. If and when the wife starts riding more aggressive I may look into it for her.

• Terrain Rider 4z

Posted February 10, 2007 - 10:25 AM

Here is my wife's TTR w/ YZ85 forks. She is 5'0" and it fits her perfect, but with the BBR swingarm it would probably fit a 5'4" gal.
Posted Image

Eventually I would like to get her a KX100 because she is ready for something a little more aggressive. Flywheel weight a KX and you will have a great bike, or go with a Rekluse in a KTM 200 EXC if your wife is 5'4" and lower it. The KTM is the cats A$$ and is very tractable.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.