sprocket question

6 replies to this topic
  • wr450rideruk

Posted February 03, 2007 - 06:16 PM

guys just went to order some new sprokets and chain for my bike and started to count the teeth on sprockets 13f 49r whats this been set up for as it is suposed to have 14f 50r
has it got higher top end or better take off ? with the gearing thats on it now i do losts of H&Hs an enduros and have noticed i do have to slip the clutch a lot in the tight stuff, is this been because of the gearing been to tall
if i went back to stock 14/50 would i notice a big diffrence and what sort of speed would it knock off the top speed ?
realy need you help on this guys as i need to order some sprokets as iv got an enduro next weekend an need the bike up an running
chheers in advance guys

• dbleon

Posted February 03, 2007 - 07:01 PM

guys just went to order some new sprokets and chain for my bike and started to count the teeth on sprockets 13f 49r whats this been set up for as it is suposed to have 14f 50r
has it got higher top end or better take off ? with the gearing thats on it now i do losts of H&Hs an enduros and have noticed i do have to slip the clutch a lot in the tight stuff, is this been because of the gearing been to tall
if i went back to stock 14/50 would i notice a big diffrence and what sort of speed would it knock off the top speed ?
realy need you help on this guys as i need to order some sprokets as iv got an enduro next weekend an need the bike up an running
chheers in advance guys

Smaller # teeth on countershaft= lower top speed, better bottom end.
The more teeth you go up on the front, the taller the gearing. In the rear it's the opposite. Less teeth is taller. Hope this helps, and good luck!

• Jwar1r1t3

Posted February 03, 2007 - 07:29 PM

What year is you bike??? Your stock gearing may be different depending on the year, but 14,50 is stock for 06 I'm sure.

What type of terrain is the enduro going to be? If it is going to be a lot of open stuff i think the stock gearing (14, 50) would be fine. If the race has a higher percentage of tight obsticles and slow stuff, I would gear down to maybe 13, 52 for really low gearing, 13, 50. It seems that a bunch of people have decided that 14, 52 is a very good balance, as it gears down a tad but doesn't sacrifice top end and wide ratios between the gears.

Your 13, 49 is actually pretty low to begin with, generally speaking 1 tooth on the counter sprocket is equivalent to 3 teeth on the driven sprocket. So you are pretty much close to 14,52 already, and if you say you are clutching more thna you want, then maybe go up to a 52 for the driven sprocket.

By the way, you may have to modify the chain guard slightly as the bigger rear sprocket may not fit.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • wr450rideruk

Posted February 04, 2007 - 08:33 AM

hi guys
sorry its an 03 450,
so if dropping 1 on the front is equal to uping 3 rear = low geared
so dropping 1 rear would make it taller = more top end
so the gearing on mine at the moment 13/49 in therory is slightly lower than standard i think
13/ is down 1 wich would be equal to 14 stock/53 rear (in therory)
so i think by dropping 1on the rear would be like taking 1 off the 53
so if im not mistaken it works out to be equal to 14/52
i still dont know what sprokets to order haha as i want it a little lower geard than it is now
yes the enduros i do here in the uk are very tight and twisty forests with a little open land
cheers guys im starting to use my brain again haha

• ncampion

Posted February 04, 2007 - 08:39 AM

You don't say if you have a WR or a YZ. The WR has a wide ratio trans with a lowere 1st gear, should not have to slip clutch in 1st for just about anything. Not so with the YZ gearbox.

• Jwar1r1t3

Posted February 04, 2007 - 01:11 PM

You don't say if you have a WR or a YZ. The WR has a wide ratio trans with a lowere 1st gear, should not have to slip clutch in 1st for just about anything. Not so with the YZ gearbox.

Well considering his name is "wr450rideruk'' I would assume that he has a WR 450.

Anyhow, You should maybe get the 52 tooth sprocket and that would gear you down a little, but if you really want it lower, a 12 tooth would be that last option. However, that 12 tooth will make the chain wear more quickly, as the links on the chain will be pivoting more than it would on a 13 or 14 tooth. I would say that it is NOT a significant enough reason to not get the 12.

If you have the money, which you probably do and are willing to spend it, get both the 12 tooth and a 52 tooth and mix and match until you have the combo you want. Get the JT steel sprockets, they are very inexpensive and last forever. That little bit of extra unsprung weight is negligable.

Oh yeah I forgot to add that by gearing that low, you are going to gain alot of wheel spin because of the torque from that 450 engine. If it becomes a real problem, you maybe should consider a heavier flywheel.

• SID013

Posted February 04, 2007 - 02:30 PM

chheers in advance guys

I had the same dilema & found this gearing calculator which helps you muck around with the gearing ratio combos to see what changes affect top & bottom end speeds. http://www.4strokes.com/tech/
Hope it helps.

Cheers from Oz.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.