Stator - Baja designs issue???

5 replies to this topic
  • jwcbf

Posted February 03, 2007 - 03:52 PM

Hey Folks,

I put a BD kit on my XR650R and have had some issues. The lights stopped working. I checked the harness and connections and could not find anything. Then, the lights just started working. Worked OK for a few months then stopped working again. I had left the lights on a couple of times and after reading some posts decided to get a new stator from Ricky Stator. When I took off the seat to diconnect the stator harness I found that a the two wires coming from the stator, that mate to the BD harness, had melted/burned togther. It was unclear if they were shorted together.

Posted Image

Wire colors are as follows...

BD-Orange to St-White/Yellow
BD-White tp St-Green

I can't find my Baja designs installation instructions.

I don't want to install the Ricky stator until I know what is happening and why.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

• chpxr

Posted February 03, 2007 - 07:19 PM

i would say the conection was not good at that point thats why the wires got hot and left that mark and your lights went out and then worked again just my 2 cents

• motopsycho650

Posted February 03, 2007 - 07:49 PM

One thing I'm not seeing is a second AC regulator. Did you install one on the second output of the BD Stator? I don't think they said anything, but a second AC regulator should be installed even if the second output isn't being used.

I got one from my motorcycle shop for 15 bucks. It was a Bike Master I think, made for a Harley.

Sorry that happened, but thanks for the heads up on that possibly happening to mine.

P.S. BD claims to offer full life-time warranties on their rewound stators. Have you tried to talk to them about what happened?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • jwcbf

Posted February 03, 2007 - 09:00 PM

Hey Guys thanks for the replys.

Motopsyco,

The stator is currenlty stock (one output). I discovered the problem when beginning the install for a new Ricky Stator (which is dual output). I never heard about the second reg if not using the output. I will take that up with both RS and BD.

Chpxr,

You are the second person that brought up the connection (or lack there of). I will discuss that with both parties as well.

Thanks again guys and if anyone else has some usefull info or questions please chime in.

• hypersthenos

Posted February 04, 2007 - 12:13 AM

My best guess would be loose connectors where you show them in your picture. My kit has worked well but the female connectors seem a bit too large in diameter where they mate to the factory male connections. I simply lightly crimp the female connectors with pliers before inserting the male ends. Electrical resistance is a viscous cycle. The more resistance, the more heat. The more heat, the more resistance. Then the insulation burns & connectors melt.

• motopsycho650

Posted February 04, 2007 - 07:06 AM

Hey Guys thanks for the replys.

Motopsyco,

The stator is currenlty stock (one output). I discovered the problem when beginning the install for a new Ricky Stator (which is dual output). I never heard about the second reg if not using the output. I will take that up with both RS and BD.

If it was rewound by BD, they added a second output to it. At least they did with mine.

I bought the second AC regulator so I could power the headlight seperate from the brake light I installed. I have read before that a second AC regulator is good even if the second output is not used. It ensures that the un-used power being generated is sent back to ground, and reduces the chance of a short being created by open ended wires.

I agree that this problem could have been caused by a loose connection. While vibrating, the connection can create small archs, creating much more heat than normal. With the bullet connectors Honda uses, if they pull apart easily, they won't make a good connection. if you give the female plug a slight squeeze with some pliars, it should make the connection tight again. Or, use some di-electric grease for each of the connections.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  159 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  29 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  186 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 4 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.