2003 wr key update

3 replies to this topic
  • kyle797

Posted February 03, 2007 - 01:50 PM

Does anyone if the yamaha flywheel key update was a factory recall, dealer responsible for performing the repair for free or just a service buellitin? My bike does not have the dot stamped on the vin which indicates the repair was never done.

• Indy_WR450

Posted February 03, 2007 - 08:51 PM

Forget the lap and loctite service bulletin.

You need to upgrade the starter assembly as per instructions here:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • BajaFool

Posted February 04, 2007 - 03:38 PM

Read this link for a history of the Woodruff Key problem on the 2003 WR450F, as well as a parts list and prices. http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=303319 When you are done reading the link in its entirety, you will know more than you ever wanted to know about the 2003 starter problem. I was one of the first on this forum to install the updated parts in my 2003. Also, look at Indy450's link for very good pictures of the parts involved. Note that Indy450 has corrected his link by pointing out that the $92.00 Case Side Cover is not required. Also note that since you don't need to replace the Case Side Cover, you don't need to perform the labor involved with the removal of this cover, such as draining the oil. Note my comment in the thread that I provided to you, it is a 10 minute job, if you drink your beer very slowly while working.

• kyle797

Posted February 05, 2007 - 08:00 AM

thanks for the the info i was actualy going to go that route with the starter gear and the bushing instead of the entire cover

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.