swinarm bolt stuck

1 reply to this topic
  • specialk6r

Posted February 03, 2007 - 09:51 AM

I've gotten all of the suspension linkages taken off in preparation for some new bearings, but the main swingarm pivot doesn't want to slide out. I removed the 22mm bolt on the rider's left and gave the bolt a good wack with a mallet and it didn't budge. Shouldn't it just slide out? Am I missing something?

Also, if the collars for the linkage bearings are not perfectly smooth, should they be replaced? Mine were neglected and only one was still shiny smooth. Thanks

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • new2blu

Posted February 03, 2007 - 10:44 AM

Dumb question--did you remove the rear brake pedal? If so you may need to get a brass "punch" mine is 5/8 inch in diameter and about 7-8 inches long. This will allow you to really pound on it without damaging the threads. Or you could leave the nut on to protect the threads. You may also try a larger hammer (they tend to not "bounce back" as much as a smaller hammer. After you finally get the swing arm bolt out make sure to put grease or anti-seize on it to prevent this from happening again. On the collars you might as well go all the way and get new collars if the appear worn or rusted.I'm not sure if Pivot works bearings come with those already in the package or not.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.