Won't Start

10 replies to this topic
  • TheRainMan

Posted February 03, 2007 - 08:46 AM

Hey All,
Got an 02 426 thats been running great for about a year now. Was out riding last weekend and I stalled the bike in a turn, now I can't get it to start. I changed the plug and it still won't start and checked that the carb is getting fuel. Any suggestions (ignition coil, CDI, etc.....)????
Thanks

• tammie

Posted February 03, 2007 - 07:05 PM

one time my yz400 wouldn't start for no apparently reason, I unbolted the ignitions coil, cleaned the ground connection and put it back on and viola fired right up the ground must have come loose or got dirt in it.........just a suggestion.....did you check ur valves? timing chain?

• TheRainMan

Posted February 03, 2007 - 07:19 PM

I'll try unbolting and cleaning the coil/contacts and see what happens.
Haven't messed with the valves or timing yet....still trying simple fixes.
Thnx!

• 642MX

Posted February 04, 2007 - 03:52 PM

Have you verified the spark?

• new2blu

Posted February 04, 2007 - 08:09 PM

Check for spark--if no spark maybe the kill switch is the problem(unplug it may fix problem). If spark is ok check to see if fuel is getting into engine. If fuel is ok then check the valve clearances.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • TheRainMan

Posted February 08, 2007 - 12:46 PM

Wow Crazy!! Changed the spark plug twice, checked coil, checked spark.
While checking the spark I kicked the bike over about 20 times put the second new plug in and it started on the 2nd kick. No idea what changed but for now it's starting (doing the happy dance)!!!!

• TheRainMan

Posted February 08, 2007 - 12:50 PM

Also, I just ordered the 03 YZ450 exhaust cam for the MOD. Got one Yamaha dealer here in Albuquerque that swears it won't work and I got the other dealer here saying they have'nt done the MOD before. Not sure if I should do it myself or try the second dealer.

• grayracer513

Posted February 08, 2007 - 01:04 PM

Also, I just ordered the 03 YZ450 exhaust cam for the MOD. Got one Yamaha dealer here in Albuquerque that swears it won't work and I got the other dealer here saying they have'nt done the MOD before. Not sure if I should do it myself or try the second dealer.

You have the instructions, right?

http://www.thumperta...078#post3706078

• King_Air

Posted February 08, 2007 - 03:12 PM

There is lots of infomation in the link that Grayracer gave you. Spend some time reading that thread to make an informed decision. I am doing it myself this weekend. If you have some mechanical ability and correct tools available I think you could do this mod.

• gildnernorth101

Posted February 08, 2007 - 07:16 PM

Sounds Like Your Valves Arnt Seating Try A Compression Test

• TheRainMan

Posted March 01, 2007 - 02:03 PM

There is lots of infomation in the link that Grayracer gave you. Spend some time reading that thread to make an informed decision. I am doing it myself this weekend. If you have some mechanical ability and correct tools available I think you could do this mod.

Thanks everyone for all the help,
Got tired of the starting drill and had a local dealer install the OEM cam. Just picked the bike up today and it starts on the 1st kick. Can't wait to take it out for a ride!!!!!!!!!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.