07 carb access

6 replies to this topic
  • billy101

Posted February 02, 2007 - 09:06 PM

I am getting a wr 450 and am trying to decide to go big and get an 07 or save some cash and getting an 06. I really like the changes this year with the 07 but looking at the carb it looks like a huge pain in the booty to get to the jets. Is the best access through the seat, rear or a secret compartment? I live in CO (10000 feet) and enjoy taking trips to moab and AZ. This requires adjusting jetting often. My little 03 wr250 jets are easy to get to and am really concerned about taking apart the 07 450 to get to the heart of the thing. Am I freaking out over nothing or should I just bite the bullet and learn a differnt carb?

• QuikSSilver

Posted February 02, 2007 - 09:33 PM

you pretty much have to tear it down.... it pretty easy though.... but you gotta pull the shock and everything

• Rick1141

Posted February 03, 2007 - 05:41 AM

I recommend GYTR ais removal kit for 2007 and #48 pilot jet.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • TWILES

Posted February 03, 2007 - 04:55 PM

I got to see an 07 for the first time today and carb access looks like a bitch. It did feel a lot lighter in the bars though. Might just be me.

• JaysDirtyRide

Posted February 04, 2007 - 02:40 PM

IMHO...carb access is a PITA! Especially if it's your first time tearing the bike down to access the carb.

You need to remove the subframe...to do it right means cutting off all the zip-ties and pulling the tubes, pulling the wiring harness through the boot under the seat, and removing the shock.

I'm sure it's less intimidating after you have done it several times...but for the first teardown...it was not pretty. It probably would have been easier with a spring tool to compress the shock a little as well.

I just busted knuckles when I don't really think I needed to.

I'm all ears if anyone with experience tearing down an '07 WR450 would care to elaborate...

-Jay

• msgbean

Posted February 04, 2007 - 07:46 PM

You need to remove the subframe...to do it right means cutting off all the zip-ties and pulling the tubes, pulling the wiring harness through the boot under the seat, and removing the shock.

I don't know how many times its been said now but you don't need to remove the subframe. Just remove the lower subframe bolts and loosen the top one. Disconnect the airboot from the carb then just swing the subframe upward and use a bungy cord from the handle bars to hold it in the upward position.

• JaysDirtyRide

Posted February 05, 2007 - 06:37 AM

I don't know how many times its been said now but you don't need to remove the subframe. Just remove the lower subframe bolts and loosen the top one. Disconnect the airboot from the carb then just swing the subframe upward and use a bungy cord from the handle bars to hold it in the upward position.

Hi msgbean,

I did exactly that...swung the subframe up and out 'o the way...the third time I tore it down. I also picked up some tools that made the job easier...long T handle hex wrenches, extra long needle nose pliers, etc...

I'm still not proficient at working on various components on the bike...but I'm getting better. Getting at the carb's internals is easier for me now than when I first posted.

-Jay

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.