my first thumper

12 replies to this topic
  • Type Gendy

Posted February 02, 2007 - 12:14 PM

I recently bought my first 4 stroke, an 01 426. I bought it from a friend who bought it from the original owner in the fall. I'd like to have this thing ready to ride in the spring (if i ever learn to start it).

While i dont know much about this bike, except that it was claimed to have only been ridden 2 seasons and do a lot of sitting.... what else should i do to it besides an oil change , plug, and getting her lubed up?

Posted Image

• jayh300

Posted February 02, 2007 - 12:34 PM

nice bike and welcome.....
learn the starting procedure , many posts on that here
get a good manual on it, the maint is different.
I would change all fluids
don't ride it slow or let it idle for very long as they will overheat. everything you will need to know about that bike is on this site.
great bikes love mine

• Reyndogg

Posted February 02, 2007 - 12:41 PM

IMO you should get a fork brace...

good luck,

• buzzgrizz

Posted February 02, 2007 - 12:52 PM

Welcome, Just get the "starting procedure" down and have fun.
Nice looking bike.:ride:

• skipperlantz

Posted February 02, 2007 - 05:53 PM

Check all of your fluids and lube areas. That bike looks clean in the picture. Learn to use that compression release to start it and you'll be in Heaven! Besides an XR, my 2000 was the most reiable bike I ever had.

• Jaycycle

Posted February 02, 2007 - 06:25 PM

Cool man, welcome! Have fun with her.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • yama02yz250f

Posted February 02, 2007 - 06:43 PM

you should do the 03 cam mod. It gets rid of the starting procedure. ALl you do is kick. I did it on my 250f and now my dad wants me to do it to his 00 426

• Type Gendy

Posted February 02, 2007 - 10:55 PM

Why should i get a "fork brace" ?

HOw about the timing chain on this thing, is that something that should be checked for tension / wear?

• PATHPOUNDER

Posted February 03, 2007 - 06:33 AM

Why should i get a "fork brace" ?

HOw about the timing chain on this thing, is that something that should be checked for tension / wear?

Hes talking about sticking something in between the tire and fender when you tie it down so the forks dont compress too far...I use a piece of 2x4 around 10 inches, works fine...

If the timing chain hasnt been changed on an 01 426 , change it..Its wore out and stretched...This is the connection to the top end from the lower end,keep it fresh...Change it every 100 or so hours....A chain jumping the teeth can grenade an engine costing you up to 1500.00....55.00 cam chain, change it..

BTW.....Nice looking bike ,the 426 is a great machine..

• Type Gendy

Posted February 08, 2007 - 10:11 AM

Thanks guys. I gotta do a search on what oil to use for this. I went to yamaha yesterday and spent $47 on oil and a filter :censored: They said to use some special 20w-50 semi-synthetic thumper oil, sounds like a crock of shit?

• 642MX

Posted February 08, 2007 - 10:54 AM

Thanks guys. I gotta do a search on what oil to use for this. I went to yamaha yesterday and spent $47 on oil and a filter :thumbdown: They said to use some special 20w-50 semi-synthetic thumper oil, sounds like a crock of shit?

$47 for oil and a filter. :ride:

Buy a K&N 142 oil filter (its brass and can be cleaned/reused) and stop by Walmart and buy a gallon of Shell Rotella 15W40. $9.00 filter and $8.00/gallon of oil. :censored:

• grayracer513

Posted February 08, 2007 - 11:37 AM

They said to use some special 20w-50 semi-synthetic thumper oil

OK, so why did they charge over $25 for an oil filter? That's where the problem is. The most you should have paid for the "special" oil is $11/qt (still too high, but I've seen it), and I figure you got two, so that's what's left.

My solution is the Scotts stainless steel oil filter, which is reusable indefinitely, and Amsoil MCF for under $8/qt, true total cost. Mobil 1 MX4T is another excellent oil, but it's often overcharged for (should be $8/qt).

You can get cheaper oil, but none that are as good for less than that that I know of.

• King_Air

Posted February 08, 2007 - 03:19 PM

Try a search on scotts oil filters and have fun reading. Here is one to start with. http://www.thumperta...otts oil filter I do not trust cleaning the brass mesh ones. Too much risk of enlarging the screen holes. I use a Scotts stainless steal. Well worth $ 70.00 for my piece of mind.

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.