FMF mega bomb

4 replies to this topic
  • Huckster

Posted February 02, 2007 - 11:37 AM

anyone read the dirt rider shootout and see where they tried a megabomb header pipe with the stock silencer and had good results. I am just curious if anyone has tried it. They said it still was quite but livened it up off idle.

• grayracer513

Posted February 02, 2007 - 12:50 PM

I did the same thing with the Power Bomb on my '03, comparing it with the stock exhaust, and then with the PB combined with the stock muffler. I found that the header is most of what spreads the power out across such a wide range. Since the Mega Bomb works on the same principal, I would imagine that the effect would be the same with any muffler it was paired with.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • kylwk1500

Posted February 02, 2007 - 02:11 PM

I have the megabomb and the 4.1 system on my 06. I am thourouly impressed. Great sound, and awsome power.

• tdc_worm

Posted February 02, 2007 - 04:21 PM

i would surmise that this is the truth across all exhaust systems. if you look at 2 strokes, the major component that affected the power and its delivery was the shape of the pipe, not the silencer. similarly, in the auto industry, you will get more gains out of headers than you will out of a new muffler. longer headers affect the bottom end while shorter headers affect the top end (or is it visa versa?).

at any rate, when considering the silencer, they are not the proverbial choke point in the exhaust system. if the diameter of the header is smaller than the diameter of the exhaust, then changing the muffler will not yield any significant gains (in theory).

larger diameter doesnt exactly mean better performance. you also have to have "back pressure" from an exhaust system for the engine to perfrom optimally. maybe somebody with more knowledge on that subject can enlighten us... or maybe we can just google it...

• mx369

Posted February 07, 2007 - 10:55 AM

We have 2. Both have split along the factory seem.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.