05 yz 450 help overheating

6 replies to this topic
  • Trail master

Posted February 01, 2007 - 05:18 PM

i ride this thing for ten minutes and it's overheating and thats easy riding out in my feild anyone have any suggestions i think maby the water pump would be the 1st step

• yamarider628

Posted February 01, 2007 - 08:32 PM

Easy there! Water pump = mucho dinero$. But anyways My buddies just had bad radiators which cost more than a pump! Then Theres always the chance you just have grass and other debris between the plastic guards and the actual radiator/ :ride:

• tnl

Posted February 01, 2007 - 09:00 PM

First the obvious right? Coolant level, oil level, don't idle for long (about 3 min. or more) without moving, rad. fins are not all bent, no kinked coolant lines, how about new coolant (depending on ride time)? That's a start. Good luck! Oh, and by the way. I hope you did a search right?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Trail master

Posted February 02, 2007 - 04:26 PM

he thanks for the advice but what is a search right

• flintlock28

Posted February 03, 2007 - 07:19 AM

1) Make sure there is no foreign debris blocking the shrouds (grass, dirt, etc.)

2) These bikes are not designed to idle for more than a minute or so, if you are idling more than a minute, than shut her off.

3) My bike would occasionally overheat on a Hot Summer day if I were riding tight, slow trails. I flushed out the standard Antifreeze/water mixture using distilled water, than replaced the coolant with "Engine Ice" an aftermarket coolant......I've never overheated again.

• tnl

Posted February 03, 2007 - 05:31 PM

he thanks for the advice but what is a search right

It is a question. Did you do a search here on Thumper Talk?

• Butta

Posted February 04, 2007 - 03:20 PM

Easy there! Water pump = mucho dinero$. But anyways My buddies just had bad radiators which cost more than a pump! Then Theres always the chance you just have grass and other debris between the plastic guards and the actual radiator/ :ride:

I guess it's all relative, but I don't really call about $100 (full water pump rebuild) mucho dinero.....

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.