topend Ticking on a 06 650R

2 replies to this topic
  • drtrider145

Posted February 01, 2007 - 04:27 PM

I have a neigbor that is having an inermittent knock,click or tapping from what sounds like the top end , and no it's not loose valve because is only happens about 10 times in about 5 min , it sounds like if the bike was off and in neutral and you shifted in to 1st gear , it only does this after it warms up and at idle only, I supect the automatic decompression system, just wondering if any else has had this problem

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Thumpage

Posted February 01, 2007 - 07:03 PM

The decompression cable hanging up can cause this. There has been a time or two when the end of the lower cable is pulled from the decompression arm housing at the motor. It keeps the arm slightly engaged and subsequently the system itself, which causes this ticking. Push the arm down and make sure the cable end is seated all the way in. Then make sure the cable is not getting hung up anywhere along it's route.
At least this is one of the first things to check.

• Thumpmeister

Posted February 01, 2007 - 11:51 PM

Make sure your manual decomp is in adjustment, there should be no more than 8mm of play at the end of the manual decomp lever.

If that doesn't fix it, its your auto decomp. Mine made a ticking for YEARS, and I finally bought a hotcam stg 1, angst the auto decomp, and no more ticking. The ol brp never sounded so good...

Related Content

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.