How are the WR450's for the East Coast trails?

4 replies to this topic
  • mhog1234

Posted February 01, 2007 - 01:30 PM

If there's another post already for this same question, if someone will kindly point me to it, I would appreciate it. My question is... I see that most of the WR450 owners are from the West Coast, my question is how are the WR450s for the tight trails most of the east coast has? It seems like I have read that some people think these bikes are too powerful for the tight trails. Any opinions? Are the new '07 better or worse suited? Thanks

• DarthWader

Posted February 01, 2007 - 02:17 PM

MHog, I'm a recent transplant to NC myself and haven't been out on the trails but, fully expect them to be of a similar nature to what I rode in Michigan. I don't think the WR450 is too much for tight trails - it is going to depend on how hard you twist the right hand for a lot of that too. If you're trigger happy it will be a handful, especially if you keep it a gear down and stay in the meat of the powerband - it! LOL!

I find the bike to be pretty mild mannered though if you control the throttle. I like to stay a gear up and flow as much as possible, it isn't nearly as dramatic as the point and shoot but, in the end tends to accomplish a comparable speed overall. The bike is a bit heavier than the 2 smokes but, again, if you aren't trying to horse it and let the bike do the work it is a great tight woods bike (it will lug and chug as desired). As an example too - a buddy of mine in MI who rides A enduros blasts around on a KTM 525. That is a big bike with lots of torque and power and he rides it somewhere in between smooth and point/shoot. He's not a physical specimen either (not meant as derogatory by any means) yet, the 4-6 hours doesn't cash him in physically even with the bigger bike and power. Point being that even with the bigger bike and more power the rider can make a huge impact on how much of a handfull the bike is regardless of the terrain.

FWIW...good riding!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • sdc

Posted February 02, 2007 - 04:54 AM

I've got an 05 wr450 and I ride in the woods in upstate NY. So far I haven't found anything to dislike about the bike. I came off an old wr250(2 stroke). Is it heavier than my old bike? Yes by about 30 lbs. Im heavier too, 230lbs. I havent noticed the extra weight to be a big issue. I could see if you were only running harcore enduros/hare scrambles the weight would be a factor a wr250 would be more than enough. The advantages of the large wide torque output far outweigh the weight disadvantage. The big torque means you can climb over, go up, almost anything you come across in the woods, just pick a path and go.Steep hills are were this bike really shines, it pulls and pulls. And the electric start is handy too!

• Merlin450

Posted February 02, 2007 - 02:30 PM

Tight trails are not a problem with proper throttle control. The "point and shoot" method will work too but I prefer the "smooth and quick" method.

• specialk6r

Posted February 02, 2007 - 03:35 PM

These bikes are very fast, yet very tiring, for the ham-fisted rider. The "point and shoot" style will have you forearms bulging in minutes with the WR's torque. Smooth and relaxed riding will get you through the tight stuff without too much extra exertion.

My buddies all ride small smokers (EXC200's) and I find that we all start out riding about the same speed in the tight stuff, but by sunset I'm lagging. However, when we find the odd hillclimb or sand-pit they are very jealous: "Shifting? You have to shift on those little bikes?"

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.