Studs on the 650L

9 replies to this topic
  • Boy named sue

Posted February 01, 2007 - 11:45 AM

Just wondering if any body out there has studded thier xrl before I'm picking up a set of ice tires tonight so I can mess around on the lakes for the next month or so.PS .any tips on getting her to start a little easier on them sub zero days, I have all daves mods done but she is still hard to fire on them cold days.

• desert gorilla

Posted February 01, 2007 - 12:19 PM

Ice? Studs? In Arizona when it's under 50 it's too cold for me to ride. Big Brass Gorilla ones to you pal, I must be a wimp.

• XR650L_Dave

Posted February 02, 2007 - 09:35 AM

I did a little frozen-lake riding, but without studs.

Drain the carb before opening the petcock to get the freshest gas in there.

Dave

• lhark

Posted February 04, 2007 - 05:51 AM

Lake riding with studs, is a blast. Check out my garage XR600.....I had no problem starting the 600 if the weather was above 30F or so, even when it was in the back of my truck for 30 minutes or more, on the way to the lake.
I have a 650L and the tires, that I haven't put together yet. I'm with Dave on the carb thing. I learned this the first year of seasonal storage. Tried to fire up the bike, and needed to drain the old gas out of the carb to get it to run.

• oldmanx

Posted February 04, 2007 - 09:26 AM

Rear tire: Snowmobile picks between the knobs, screws in the studs...HD tube w/extra tire-tube protection coming from a strip, cut from an old HD tube, placed between the tube OD and the tire
Front tire: screws in the studs
:ride: :ride:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • oldmanx

Posted February 04, 2007 - 09:32 AM

Rear tire: Snowmobile picks between the knobs, screws in the KNOBS...HD tube w/extra tire-tube protection coming from a strip, cut from an old HD tube, placed between the tube OD and the tire
Front tire: screws in the KNOBS
:ride: :ride:

OOPS...meant screws in the KNOBS on the fr/rr tires

• cleonard

Posted February 04, 2007 - 11:02 PM

Just wondering if any body out there has studded thier xrl before I'm picking up a set of ice tires tonight so I can mess around on the lakes for the next month or so.PS .any tips on getting her to start a little easier on them sub zero days, I have all daves mods done but she is still hard to fire on them cold days.

If by sub zero you mean 0C then try laying the bike on it's side. This causes the carb to flood a little and can help get it started. I had to remove the choke plate on my XR600 because it was about to break in half. This is the only was I can start my XR600 when it's freezing or colder.

If you mean below zero as in below 0F then you are on your own.

• Boy named sue

Posted February 05, 2007 - 12:58 PM

thanks guys well I had her out today what a blast new plug set the valves fresh gas and she fired right up. wide open in 3rd chop the throttle and hang out for all it's worth then back on the gas repete through turns 2,3,and 4and you won't be able to wipe the grin off your face man is this ever fun.

• lhark

Posted February 06, 2007 - 03:02 PM

A true believer! I'm gonna have to get those tires on, before the weekend.
Have fun!

• Boy named sue

Posted February 07, 2007 - 08:42 AM

Do it man!

A true believer! I'm gonna have to get those tires on, before the weekend.
Have fun!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 7 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  158 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.