Excel rim

8 replies to this topic
  • tunaeater

Posted February 01, 2007 - 11:27 AM

Can I put a stock hub and spokes on an excel rim for a XR650r ? I have a beat up wheel that I want to swap hub and spokes to the excel rim. It will be used for a spare racing wheel. If not, what are my options, approx. prices and best place to purchase. Also, does anyone have any experience with the pro wheels from Rocky Mountain ? I'm very abusive on my rims and they are always getting beat up.:ride: I ride mostly desert and lot's of baja.
Thanks so much,:ride:
Paul

• bcone

Posted February 01, 2007 - 12:04 PM

Yes. Go for new heavy duty spokes though. Try eastcoastwheels.com for help with rim and spoke match.

• gaspipe

Posted February 01, 2007 - 02:00 PM

If ECW can't help, Buchanan's can make you a set of hd spokes that will work. I just got a set to lace up a 2.50" Excel for about $60, with nipples.

• tunaeater

Posted February 01, 2007 - 09:48 PM

Okay Thanks,
Sounds like Buchanan spokes with a stock hub will work on an excel rim.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Baja Rudy

Posted February 01, 2007 - 10:02 PM

Paul, if you like I have a black excel rim and excel spokes ready to go. call or send me a PM.

Rudy

• wickedsprint

Posted February 03, 2007 - 11:39 AM

I have been talking with a nearby wheel shopin denver, they mentioned to do both 650R wheels with excel rims, stock hubs and their superlace would run about 680 for both wheels, this sound reasonable? Guessing the stock hubs are fairly durable.

• bcone

Posted February 03, 2007 - 12:34 PM

Given that I paid about 250-275 (I forget exactly:excuseme: ) for just the rim and spokes from East Coast Whells, for a rear that I laced myself it sounds good. It may or may not be worth the labor of $180 depending on how handy you are. there are some good on-line descriptions of how to lace if your up to the challenge:thumbsup: OR :ride: .

• wickedsprint

Posted February 03, 2007 - 05:15 PM

Given that I paid about 250-275 (I forget exactly:excuseme: ) for just the rim and spokes from East Coast Whells, for a rear that I laced myself it sounds good. It may or may not be worth the labor of $180 depending on how handy you are. there are some good on-line descriptions of how to lace if your up to the challenge:thumbsup: OR :ride: .

Thank you for your reply, I had no idea just the rims were that spendy, but likely worth it, I can't believe how easy I dented the stock front one, I think I tagged a rock, was loading it back on the truck to head home and someone pointed it out to me...woops. I am pretty handy but I have never trued a wheel, I would likely rather leave that sort of thing up to them.

• bcone

Posted February 03, 2007 - 06:40 PM

eastcoastwheels.com can give a good sense of what rims alone cost. You gotta figure shipping as well vs. your shop down the street which may have them in stock. The other option is to keep an eye on line for rims.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.