'06-'07 owners

19 replies to this topic
  • Bigcr

Posted January 31, 2007 - 06:30 PM

Since I've been injured and bored out of my mind, I've naturally been thinking of things to improve my bike. One of the things I wanted to do was replace the humongous front brake line pinch clamp. Dr. D, GYTR, and Pro-Circuit all want upwards of $40 for one. Since on of my friends left his CRF at my house, I tried the one off his bike and it fit perfectly! Better yet, after an on-line search, I found the parts for $12! After shipping the total was $21. Check it out.
Posted Image

• Yamahafan

Posted January 31, 2007 - 07:02 PM

Outstanding idea! Does the brake line still clear the brake rotor?

• Bigcr

Posted January 31, 2007 - 07:28 PM

Outstanding idea! Does the brake line still clear the brake rotor?

Yes. It fits perfectly.

• Ga426owner

Posted February 01, 2007 - 07:47 AM

Good info - thanks
I bought the GYTR and it is fine but if the 12.00 CR fits - that is even better....don't tell honda....they will change the sizes if they know....they are very particular on the front brake thing...patents on cable routing and this:thumbsup:

• WB450

Posted February 01, 2007 - 08:29 AM

What kind of CRF, and where did you order if from?

Thanks.

• ____Kurt____

Posted February 01, 2007 - 09:34 AM

so the only reason for this mod is to make it look smaller? it doesn't effect performance?

• Ga426owner

Posted February 01, 2007 - 09:36 AM

so the only reason for this mod is to make it look smaller? it doesn't effect performance?

it is a lot smaller and is what it should have looked like instead of the pregnated stupid designed Yamaha stock part.....:ride:

• sean3239

Posted February 01, 2007 - 12:58 PM

I don't know how critical it is :ride: but I think that little white dot is for reference. You make sure its at the top of the OEM clamp when you are installing the cable so you have the proper slack, etc. I guess you just need to make sure with the new clamp that you have a similar reference point or I guess you could eyeball it from the OEM dot (but I worry about that kind of stuff).

• Bigcr

Posted February 01, 2007 - 01:19 PM

I don't know how critical it is :ride: but I think that little white dot is for reference. You make sure its at the top of the OEM clamp when you are installing the cable so you have the proper slack, etc. I guess you just need to make sure with the new clamp that you have a similar reference point or I guess you could eyeball it from the OEM dot (but I worry about that kind of stuff).

I thought the same thing. However, if you put the dot farther down, you run the risk of the hose getting into the wheel. The hose is fixed from the caliper to the pinch clamp anyway. The slack is needed for everything above the clamp.

• sean3239

Posted February 01, 2007 - 06:53 PM

I thought the same thing. However, if you put the dot farther down, you run the risk of the hose getting into the wheel. The hose is fixed from the caliper to the pinch clamp anyway. The slack is needed for everything above the clamp.

Yes, thats what I was trying to get at but sentence structure was not my strengh :ride: ha ha. Don't use the OEM dot but make a new one so you retain the correct amount of slack on the cable.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Bigcr

Posted February 01, 2007 - 08:44 PM

What kind of CRF, and where did you order if from?

Thanks.

www.midwestactioncycle.com

Part #'s 45461-men-000
45462-men-000
90113-kz3-000....you'll need 2 of those (bolts)

• Budlite

Posted February 02, 2007 - 05:56 AM

I think you're making a mistake by doing this. There is a reason why Yamaha used the design that they did. Ride the bike for about 3 months and then report back. I'm guessing that the brake line will be noticably worn by rubbing on the plastic piece on the upper fork tube. I had this same problem with the modified 04 YZ. The Honda fork guard has been designed to take care of this but not the Yamaha.

• Ga426owner

Posted February 02, 2007 - 06:09 AM

I think you're making a mistake by doing this. There is a reason why Yamaha used the design that they did. Ride the bike for about 3 months and then report back. I'm guessing that the brake line will be noticably worn by rubbing on the plastic piece on the upper fork tube. I had this same problem with the modified 04 YZ. The Honda fork guard has been designed to take care of this but not the Yamaha.

I dont as this is exactly what the GYTR yamaha replacement part looks like and what should have come on the bike instead of the overengineered stock part.

• motobeck

Posted February 02, 2007 - 06:19 AM

Ordered my parts through MotoSport Outlet yesterday. Already been shipped and like stated above... it cost a whooping $12! I have to agree with GA426, should not be a problem. Whether you are using stock, GYRT, or the Honda parts, it's nothing more than a way of clamping the hose in place.

• Yamahafan

Posted February 02, 2007 - 06:31 AM

"I dont as this is exactly what the GYTR yamaha replacement part looks like and what should have come on the bike instead of the overengineered stock part."

Do you mean this?

http://www.yamaha-mo...0/0/detail.aspx

• mxbuz

Posted February 02, 2007 - 12:52 PM

I just looked up the two clamp pieces and two bolts for a 06 crf in the TT Store and the total was $7.17

• Bluerider179

Posted February 02, 2007 - 06:19 PM

Honda part numbers for Clamps are 45461-MEN-000 ($4.25) & 45462-MEN-000 ($3.11), and Bolts 90113-KZ3-000 ($1.77)

• mxbuz

Posted February 02, 2007 - 07:39 PM

06 CRF Number Part TT Store

45461-MEN-000 CLAMP A, front brake hose $4.42 $3.34

45462-MEN-000 clamp B, front brake hose $3.99 $2.31

90113-KZ3-000 bolt, flange 6mm $2.49 $1.52
" " " " " x2 = $1.52
(sorry total is) $8.69

Ah, who's counting a few cents?

• Ga426owner

Posted February 03, 2007 - 06:32 AM

"I dont as this is exactly what the GYTR yamaha replacement part looks like and what should have come on the bike instead of the overengineered stock part."

Do you mean this?

http://www.yamaha-mo...0/0/detail.aspx

yep...but this is mo $$$ and blue with GYTR stamped on it.....

• berudd

Posted February 05, 2007 - 12:41 PM

MXA said it looked funny and so I guess some people chose to agree. Kinda silly if you ask me.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.