Red hot exhaust after start?

20 replies to this topic
  • toofazt

Posted January 31, 2007 - 06:03 PM

Hey, I have a 2003 YZ450 with Yoshimura head work and exhaust. I haven't road it in at least six months. I just started it up with the choke on and was letting it warm up. I noticed a strange smell and looked down to see the exhaust pipe coming off the engine was glowing red hot. I've never noticed this before... Also when I turned the fuel on the petcock was leaking a LITTLE bit, guessing it's just a dried up seal or something simple? Is it normal for the bike to get so hot in a minute of warming up?? Is there something I should check after letting the bike sit for so long? Thanks, Steve.

*EDIT* I just found this thread about the glowing exhuast. http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=236304

The bike still smelled funny. Is there something I should be aware of if my bike was sitting for a while? :ride:

• AlkalineOne

Posted January 31, 2007 - 07:41 PM

Hey, I have a 2003 YZ450 with Yoshimura head work and exhaust. I haven't road it in at least six months. I just started it up with the choke on and was letting it warm up. I noticed a strange smell and looked down to see the exhaust pipe coming off the engine was glowing red hot. I've never noticed this before... Also when I turned the fuel on the petcock was leaking a LITTLE bit, guessing it's just a dried up seal or something simple? Is it normal for the bike to get so hot in a minute of warming up?? Is there something I should check after letting the bike sit for so long? Thanks, Steve.

*EDIT* I just found this thread about the glowing exhuast. http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=236304

The bike still smelled funny. Is there something I should be aware of if my bike was sitting for a while? :ride:

i had this happen to my 426... turned out to be a clogged jet...

how does it run?

i could defenetly tell something was wrong with mine when the bike spuddered with throttle opening

• toofazt

Posted January 31, 2007 - 07:45 PM

I didn't ride it after that. How would I check for a clogged jet? Thanks

• mn519

Posted January 31, 2007 - 08:01 PM

It would not idle correctly with a plugged pilet jet. if it was plugged it would be lean and bog really bad.

BTW. a glowing header is normal :ride:

• AlkalineOne

Posted January 31, 2007 - 08:13 PM

you'd have to pull the carb apart to check...

give it some gas while in neutral... 4stk's head pip glows.. yes, but takes several minutes for the entire head pipe to light up.

• mn519

Posted January 31, 2007 - 08:46 PM

this was after less than a minute(30-40 sec) idleing with a yz290f. Dr. D ti pipe, hotcams.

if you want to check your pilot jet, you can try to rotate your carb enough to take the bottom large main jet acces off the bottom on the carb, and the pilot jet is located right in front of the main jet. not fun, but should be better than trying to pull the whole carb. you will need a VERY SMALL SHORT standard screw driver.

I havent done it that way myself, but thats how i was told to do it next time instead of pullin the whole carb out.

Posted Image

Posted Image

• toofazt

Posted January 31, 2007 - 09:01 PM

That's pretty much what my pipe looked like in about a min.

• Kyle Prior

Posted January 31, 2007 - 09:02 PM

this was after less than a minute(30-40 sec) idleing with a yz290f. Dr. D ti pipe, hotcams.

if you want to check your pilot jet, you can try to rotate your carb enough to take the bottom large main jet acces off the bottom on the carb, and the pilot jet is located right in front of the main jet. not fun, but should be better than trying to pull the whole carb. you will need a VERY SMALL SHORT standard screw driver.

I havent done it that way myself, but thats how i was told to do it next time instead of pullin the whole carb out.

Posted Image

Posted Image

...I dare you to touch it...

• mn519

Posted January 31, 2007 - 09:27 PM

...I dare you to touch it...

:ride: :ride: :ride: :applause: :naughty: :busted: :smirk: :ride: :ride: :prof:

• AlkalineOne

Posted January 31, 2007 - 10:21 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

interesting... my yz450f takes about 3 minutes to look like that...:ride:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • YZ426F Rider

Posted January 31, 2007 - 10:22 PM

That's totally normal. Just ride it...if it feels good don't worry about your jetting. As Gray would say "It's just a little thing. They all do it. Chill."

• Kyle Prior

Posted February 01, 2007 - 11:34 AM

That's totally normal. Just ride it...if it feels good don't worry about your jetting. As Gray would say "It's just a little thing. They all do it. Chill."

Ummm, mine doesnt...

• berudd

Posted February 01, 2007 - 12:04 PM

Ummm, mine doesnt...

yes it will if left idling. like he said they all do.

i wish dealers would tell everyone that gets a new 4-stroke about this. but that assumes they know something about them to begin with

• grayracer513

Posted February 01, 2007 - 12:28 PM

Ummm, mine doesnt...

If that's yours in your avatar, it looks like it has a heavier, possibly stainless steel header on it, which is much more difficult to heat to red. The OEM header, and Ti headers like the FMF, etc., in general, tend to be extremely thin (< 1mm, or .040"), and Titanium glows at a lower temperature than most stainless will. Like I said, it is, at least to some degree, normal.

• Ga426owner

Posted February 01, 2007 - 04:22 PM

the ole "my header is hotter than your header thread"......:ride:

get the dogs and marshmellows out folks, it's party time.......:ride:

swap that petcock out before you blow up....:ride:

• toofazt

Posted February 01, 2007 - 04:48 PM

the ole "my header is hotter than your header thread"......:ride:

get the dogs and marshmellows out folks, it's party time.......:applause:

swap that petcock out before you blow up....:ride:

Lol, I already did get a new petcock. $20 bucks :ride:

• grayracer513

Posted February 01, 2007 - 05:13 PM

"my header is hotter than your header ......:ride:

Bet me :ride:

Posted Image

If you search this topic using header glows red as keywords, you will get dozens on dozens of hits.

• black_n_blue_thumper

Posted February 01, 2007 - 06:47 PM

Bet me :busted:

Posted Image

If you search this topic using header glows red as keywords, you will get dozens on dozens of hits.

And there it is. My favorite. :ride: :ride: :ride: :applause: :naughty:

• black_n_blue_thumper

Posted February 01, 2007 - 06:50 PM

yes it will if left idling. like he said they all do.

i wish dealers would tell everyone that gets a new 4-stroke about this. but that assumes they know something about them to begin with

My dealer told me when I bought mine. They told my brother when he bought his( I was there) and they told my buddy when he got his (again I was there). However, I recieved calls from both my brother and my buddy asking me what the hell was wrong and if mine did that too.:ride: :ride: :ride: :applause: :naughty: So credit to my dealer, and shame on my friends for not paying attention.

• yamarider628

Posted February 01, 2007 - 08:27 PM

Yep they all do it I had an 01 426 it did it! Got an 07 yesterday and it did the same! The choke acclerates this! Just means theres no air flow thorough your Radiators/ which inso facto cools the engine! If your working on it while its just idleing i just put a good fan infront of the bike and this will help w/ the heat:ride:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.