'03 450 shifter sticking DOWN. HELPZ0RS!

5 replies to this topic
  • tecdady

Posted January 31, 2007 - 02:12 PM

hey guys, i have an '03 yz450f with very low hours. i have a few sumo practice days on it, and it seems that when i downshift the shifter sticks down. its not the lever either, its the entire shaft. this makes it very dangerous for sumo use as u cant slow down into corners. any ideas? i have to get this fixed as the new season is starting very soon. thanks for all the help guys.

• grayracer513

Posted January 31, 2007 - 03:54 PM

This sounds like the shift shaft is binding in the case. It may be bent, or the centering spring may be weak or broken. Repair the problem by removing the clutch and then pulling the shaft out, figure out what's wrong, fix it if possible, replace it if not.

If it's bent badly enough, it may not want to come out. In that case, you have 3 options that occur to me.
> Cut the shaft off as near flush with the left crankcase as possible
> Cut the right nd of the shaft off by cutting away the weld and push it out the wrong way.
> Heat and straighten the shaft (carefully)

• tecdady

Posted January 31, 2007 - 04:16 PM

many thanks. ill do just that.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • YZ426F Rider

Posted January 31, 2007 - 04:48 PM

Sorry to go off topic here...but what the heck is 'sumo practice'?

• tecdady

Posted January 31, 2007 - 04:51 PM

• 2wheels-drz

Posted February 02, 2007 - 01:54 AM

seen this happen to buddy at supermoto, only his would then snapp back up with a horrible metal grinding sound...he ended up replace shifting barre andl all the dogs etc....was alot of £££

Related Content

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.