Quiet XR650R exhaust?

118 replies to this topic
  • XRR-kat

Posted March 15, 2007 - 06:47 AM

Thumpage,
Excellent info! I saw the photo of your reduced stock-drilled tip on Yahoo user group but made no sense until you pulled it together here. Key info re tip mating to internal baffles and how stock and HRC tips produce power/noise. How loud is it?

beerjonny,
So how's the db Dawg sound?
It's been four hours already:)
They have nice web page but not sure how it achieves the claimed 10 db sound reduction.

PutteLiten,
I've read another thread, AdvRider.com, where poster claimed FMF was not making Q4 for XR650R.

abby,
I have an RS db meter as well but don't know to use it for db measurement (only got it to balance my home theater system). Do you select '90' on the dial and add or subtract the meter reading to arrive at 95 db?

Can we send all these modified tips to abby to get the standardized 'abby db rating'? It's seems we are all looking for the same thing and duplicating efforts. I already tried the stock & HRC tips and am now looking for a used stock tip (don't want to be without the original stock tip) to modify. Love the HRC tip power, cannot live with the sound. That is, my neighbors cannot live with it.

• abby

Posted March 15, 2007 - 07:57 AM

abby,
I have an RS db meter as well but don't know to use it for db measurement (only got it to balance my home theater system). Do you select '90' on the dial and add or subtract the meter reading to arrive at 95 db?

Can we send all these modified tips to abby to get the standardized 'abby db rating'? It's seems we are all looking for the same thing and duplicating efforts. I already tried the stock & HRC tips and am now looking for a used stock tip (don't want to be without the original stock tip) to modify. Love the HRC tip power, cannot live with the sound. That is, my neighbors cannot live with it.

XRR-kat,

On the shack meter, you select the "range" on the knob. If you are too far above or below that range, it will read "hi" or "lo" you so and not give a reading. I think the ranges are +/- 10 DB, but I can't remember and don't have the meter in front of me. If you get a DB reading, that is the DB reading - no adding or subtracting.

So select '90' on the scale for starters. I'll bet with the HRC tip much above idle you might need 100. Set it to "A" weighting and slow response (two buttons on the front). Make sure you have A weighting, or it will read sonic boom loud.

You'll need a tach. I have a Sendec mounted on my bar clamps. Got it from Cabelas.

I measured at idle (1400 RPM) and 3250 RPM (3250 RPM seems to be the "standard" measurement RPM for the XRR to be tested at). The meter should be held at a 22 inch 45 degree angle and at the same height as the exhaust outlet. The mic points 90 degrees from the outlet. BTW, those aren't my standards, the test spec I got from the California OHV site which pretty much everyone goes by it seems.

Here's the procedure:

http://ohv.parks.ca....1287_199807.pdf

I wish I had taken a stock measurement for comparison before I uncorked it. If I decide to cork it back up (I just might), I will do the check.

The big problem with reading printed DB levels from pipe makers or people throwing around DB levels is that without any additional information (mainly how it was tested) are useless. And there are a lot of other variables.

There's also a "fly by" test, which would actually be a whole lot more useful. These pipes don't really get loud until the bike is accelerating under load. This Q2 is not bad at all at or just above idle - but when I get on it, it gets loud too.

I have an extra stock tip, but I didn't bother drilling it because I am betting it will be over 100 DB along with the HRC tip.

• abby

Posted March 15, 2007 - 10:39 AM

Although I don't want to move my powerband around - I called FMF today and asked if using the powerbomb header would really bring the volume down at all (it's supposed to).

He said about .5 to 1 DB lower. So the ear may barely detect that, but a meter might.

• beerjonny

Posted March 15, 2007 - 10:43 AM

beerjonny,
So how's the db Dawg sound?
It's been four hours already:)
They have nice web page but not sure how it achieves the claimed 10 db sound reduction.

Not sure, can't get a reply :applause: friend of a friend got one in NS close to home, and they say his bike went from 'you can hear him a mile away' to 'just blends in with the rest of them'. Not sure what that means, but I'd like to be able to say it about my bike.

If not I need another cheap alternative. The pig seams to base its diet on my money - just blew $1200 on parts today :eek:

• XRR-kat

Posted March 15, 2007 - 05:19 PM

beerjonny,
I hear your about $$$ for the BRP.
I'm resisting but headed down the same path.

abby,
Good tip on Cabelas for the tach. I have a TrailTech Vaypor, but would not expect it to be very accurate.

So, do I understand you correctly, that you have an extra stock tip? Interested in selling?

Agree with the many variables.
What did you think of the "standard abby db test" idea?

Laters

• Hondathumper450

Posted March 16, 2007 - 04:42 AM

I have a new complete exhaust for the 650R. it was used once just to start it once. looks new. have the headers and exhaust. think I maY KEEP THE HEADERS but bought an XR's Only SS exhaust with the disc system for a good doller so do not need the stock exhaust anymore. Was going to tinker with it to see if I can get the bike quieter that the drilled out stock that came with the bike when I bought it.

• beerjonny

Posted March 16, 2007 - 06:04 AM

I have a new complete exhaust for the 650R. it was used once just to start it once. looks new. have the headers and exhaust. think I maY KEEP THE HEADERS but bought an XR's Only SS exhaust with the disc system for a good doller so do not need the stock exhaust anymore. Was going to tinker with it to see if I can get the bike quieter that the drilled out stock that came with the bike when I bought it.

Well if ya decide ya don't want it anymore, drop me a PM :applause:

• XRR-kat

Posted March 16, 2007 - 06:48 AM

Hondathumper450,
Did you get the full XRs Only SS system (header and silencer) and how do you like it?

beerjonny,
If you're looking for a complete stock system, Chris Blais has one for sale - $80. He was real helpful when I was inquiring about just a stock tip - <racingservices@blaisracing.com>

• Hondathumper450

Posted March 16, 2007 - 06:55 AM

I have the stock headers with the XR's Only Competition Stainless exhaust witht he closed ended disc system. It has a nice sound to it and gives it a bit more power that the drilled stock one. It is quieter than the uncorked drilled stock exhaust as well. I have not tried any other exhaust except for the full FMF powerbomb titanium 4 exhaust on my CRF450R but HOLY COW that was loud!
the XR's only competition exhaust is exceptionaly well built, follows the curves of the bike and sounds nice. It looks excellent on the bike as well instead of the clunky stock exhaust. I am not sure if it is any lighter though, but as I said is exceptionally well built, nice fit and nice sound.
Am I glad I got it? Without a doubt. I bought if from someone off TT for 100 dollars and looked like new. He wanted the stock uncorked muffler as he used his bike around the farm and was too noisey for the animals.
The stock like new uncorked exhaust pipe is up for sale whoever needs it just make an offer. Only started once and I believe it was off of a 2006 model.

• beerjonny

Posted March 16, 2007 - 10:27 AM

Hondathumper450,
Did you get the full XRs Only SS system (header and silencer) and how do you like it?

beerjonny,
If you're looking for a complete stock system, Chris Blais has one for sale - $80. He was real helpful when I was inquiring about just a stock tip - <racingservices@blaisracing.com>

Thanks. :applause:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Thumpage

Posted March 19, 2007 - 02:39 AM

[quote name='XRR-kat']Thumpage,
Excellent info! I saw the photo of your reduced stock-drilled tip on Yahoo user group but made no sense until you pulled it together here. Key info re tip mating to internal baffles and how stock and HRC tips produce power/noise. How loud is it?

Thanks. Way back when, after reading the old 'drilling the stock tip' suggestion and actually looking inside of the muffler by pulling the tip out is when I immediately realized that was not going to be nearly enough to equal an HRC tip. That is when my further "stage 2" and "stage 3" modifications started.
I can send abby my fully modded "Stage 3" tip for sound testing if he is willing. It is not to bad if you are being easy on the gas but then when you are on the go it does get to a pretty healthy roar when opened up. It might not be quite as loud as the HRC tip though, since some of the sound is still absorbed in the third/last chamber where the spark arrestor section is. But I am sure it will meter over 95db.

• XRR-kat

Posted March 19, 2007 - 06:24 AM

Thumpage,
Sounds promising...only needs to be below 96db at 3,250 rpms !?
Would be great to get an "Abby Std db test" but that's up to Abby. I make the std db metering suggestion with a hat tip to another site I visit - Candle Power Forums (CPF), flashlights forum. They routinely do "pass-arounds" where folks sign up to review flashlights and pass them around so everone gets to see promising products. BTW if you are not up on current flashlight technology, you owe it to yourself to visit:
http://www.candlepow...m/vb/index.php?

So the idea of sending an item to another forum member for review is not new. I can see where it may place a financial burden on Abby if he is doing all the metering. I'm interested in results of your methodical stock tip mods and would be willing to pay your postage back from Abby's to you (I'm thinking $5).

Abby, is it sounding better?

Laters,

• abby

Posted March 19, 2007 - 06:57 AM

I don't mind doing the testing even though there is nothing special about what I am doing - it's a pretty simple test. It's not sending the parts around, it's finding the time to swap the pipes and do the testing while you'll probably be anxious to get your tip back.....

XRR-kat - Here's what I'd suggest - measure your drilled tip since you have a meter and a tach. Let us know what it measures. I can tell you exactly how I measured it (I can be even more explicit than I was). Since you still have the stock exhaust canister on, it would be easier for you just to swap tips.

• Thumpage

Posted March 19, 2007 - 10:31 AM

I agree about maybe having someone still using the stock muffler doing the test if possible to save time by just switching the tips rather than taking off a muffler. It's up to you guys or whomever is willing to take the time or purchase a meter and tach to do it. I don't want to obligate anyone.
As far as my tip goes, I don't need it back right away as I run a full exhaust system now.
XRR-kat,
I also have a short video clip I can send you or give you a link to, if you are interested in a preview of what the bike sounded like compared alongside of a bike with a full exhaust.
I will check out the flashlight link. I have a couple newer compact 3 watt LED flashlights that I like. They run on 3 AAAs and put out 80 lumens. Not bad. I bought them in a paired package from Sam's Club for $28. All aluminum contruction with o-ring seals similar to the pricey brands and appear to be made well overall. The only drawback is the push button is a somewhat long stroke, springy 'reverse on' type that does not have the 'momentary on' when you push in on it. I can live with it though for the price I got them for.
I am sure we are going to see 5 watt LEDs coming out soon if they are not already out there somewhere. But I digress...

• abby

Posted March 19, 2007 - 10:45 AM

I agree about maybe having someone still using the stock muffler doing the test if possible to save time by just switching the tips rather than taking off a muffler. It's up to you guys or whomever is willing to take the time or purchase a meter and tach to do it. I don't want to obligate anyone.
As far as my tip goes, I don't need it back right away as I run a full exhaust system now.
XRR-kat,
I also have a short video clip I can send you or give you a link to, if you are interested in a preview of what the bike sounded like compared alongside of a bike with a full exhaust.
I will check out the flashlight link. I have a couple newer compact 3 watt LED flashlights that I like. They run on 3 AAAs and put out 80 lumens. Not bad. I bought them in a paired package from Sam's Club for $28. All aluminum contruction with o-ring seals similar to the pricey brands and appear to be made well overall. The only drawback is the push button is a somewhat long stroke, springy 'reverse on' type that does not have the 'momentary on' when you push in on it. I can live with it though for the price I got them for.
I am sure we are going to see 5 watt LEDs coming out soon if they are not already out there somewhere. But I digress...

If time isn't of the essence, then I don't mind doing it. I will PM you with the details.

• XRR-kat

Posted March 19, 2007 - 04:18 PM

abby,
Regret it was thoughtless of me not to factor in your time. That's a lot of my difficulty as well; not having enough time.

I don't have a drilled out stock tip but I am looking for a stock tip. I could do the metering and in fact attempted to do it using the same SAE std found on 4strokes.com, but as you mention, not possible to replicate conditions.

Metering I could do (attempt), is stock tip and HRC tip if I hook-up my tach. That would give me a baseline to compare with your numbers. They should match shouldn't they....(likely not the same).

Come to think of it, either way I'm committed to paying postage back to Thumpage. If no alternative, I'm game, but you already know my expertise with an RS db meter, though I would get to try out Thumpage's Stage 3 drilled tip. Sounds interesting.

Thumpage,
Please send your video clip!
I'll pm you re tip and lights.

• abby

Posted March 19, 2007 - 04:51 PM

It's OK, Thumpage is sending me his modified tip to test it. I don't have an HRC tip, or a "normal" drilled stock tip. I have a stock tip, but now the bike is uncorked so I am not sure how real my "stock" measurement would be, or even if I could get the thing started with just the exhaust corked up. I took the bike apart before I got the meter.

• XRR-kat

Posted March 20, 2007 - 07:51 AM

abby,
I don't think you'll have a problem starting or running. I'm uncorked with the standard recommended 68s pilot and 175 main and running the stock tip (this was at sea level, i.e. bay level and 50-60 degrees). Was a little easier to start with the HRC tip and I do feel the engine was running very rich - could not use full choke, but it ran.

Think I'll attempt a stock muffler and HRC tip metering.

• abby

Posted March 20, 2007 - 08:20 AM

abby,
I don't think you'll have a problem starting or running. I'm uncorked with the standard recommended 68s pilot and 175 main and running the stock tip (this was at sea level, i.e. bay level and 50-60 degrees). Was a little easier to start with the HRC tip and I do feel the engine was running very rich - could not use full choke, but it ran.

Think I'll attempt a stock muffler and HRC tip metering.

Would be interesting to see how close we come. I have to put the original pipe back on to try Thumpage's tip when I get it, I'll out the stock tip on too.

• Thumpage

Posted March 20, 2007 - 10:28 AM

Hey Guys,

I should send the tip out to abby tomarrow for the DB testing. Thanks abby.

XRR-kat,
Abby could send my tip to you instead of directly back to me after the test if you want to try it. That way you could run a back to back riding comparo to the HRC tip. I will PM you back with the vid.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.