Quiet XR650R exhaust?

118 replies to this topic
  • abby

Posted February 02, 2007 - 05:11 AM

if you can wait 2 months, I can measure my FMF Q - I do have a db meter, but the bike is in pieces in the basement and won't come out until it's warm again

That would be great. Right now I am re-springing front and rear. I was kind of waiting around for the FMF Q4 for the XR - supposedly a slightly better design than the Q2 and a solid mount.

I hope to do some tests too.

• PutteLiten

Posted February 02, 2007 - 07:19 AM

Is there an ETA on that FMF Q4??

It does look a bit more developed than the Q2.

• abby

Posted February 02, 2007 - 07:34 AM

One thing I liked was the improved mount - no longer a strap.

I called early January for availability for the XR, and they told me to they wanted to get the "other" bikes done first, and to check back next month (which is now I suppose). They are terrible at answering emails (actually haven't once), so I have to call again.

• motopsycho650

Posted February 03, 2007 - 08:00 PM

Quiet Pipe = Clogged Exhaust.

I'm sorry to hear you have to make it quieter. I can't believe thay complain about you with some of the 450's running around.

My experience has been, the quieter you make it, the more neutered it becomes. Be prepaired to re-jet, and don't expect anything to produce the power you had.

• SlickitySloan

Posted February 03, 2007 - 10:42 PM

I ran the strock pipe with the HRC power up kit. That is opened up the air box, new unrestricted intake manifold and the big exhaust tip. I was road racing the bike (motarded) for three years at a local track that had a 95 db limit. Now it is a 90 db limit but I have not been there in the last couple of years. I never got the black flag running that system and you were on the pipe a lot.

I binner the stock pipe in a collision with a wall on that track when I lost the rear tire on a warm up lap and replaced it with a Pro Circuit T4 can. It has the big end tip and was loud. I put a cone of expanded steel inside (about the size of an ice cream cone) and saftey wired in in with a few holes drilled in the tip. It did knock the sound down a bunch and I did not notice much power loss. It is a easy way to quiten it without too much expense. Make sure your jetting is fine though any time you restrict the flow.

• JKL

Posted February 04, 2007 - 03:31 PM

I ran the strock pipe with the HRC power up kit. That is opened up the air box, new unrestricted intake manifold and the big exhaust tip. I was road racing the bike (motarded) for three years at a local track that had a 95 db limit. Now it is a 90 db limit but I have not been there in the last couple of years. I never got the black flag running that system and you were on the pipe a lot.

I binner the stock pipe in a collision with a wall on that track when I lost the rear tire on a warm up lap and replaced it with a Pro Circuit T4 can. It has the big end tip and was loud. I put a cone of expanded steel inside (about the size of an ice cream cone) and saftey wired in in with a few holes drilled in the tip. It did knock the sound down a bunch and I did not notice much power loss. It is a easy way to quiten it without too much expense. Make sure your jetting is fine though any time you restrict the flow.

Do you have a picture of your cone setup?
I have a full Akrapovic system on my bike which is great, but it would be nice to tone it down in some areas.

• BluezookS

Posted February 06, 2007 - 07:54 PM

This place in GA has Kevlar exhaust extensions to keep bikes quiet. I haven't seen them and I don't know how they work but they weigh 2oz maybe it would help. KTMtalk had some device for 2 strokes but I can't find the company to see if they have a 4 stroke device.

http://www.highlandp...t.com/rules.htm

1. NO LOUD EXHAUSTS
You MUST have a quiet muffler, and we will help you get it quiet! We have muffler packing available, quiet high performance pipes & mufflers, and we have [COLOR="DarkRed"]exclusive Kevlar exhaust extensions [/COLOR]you can rent for $5, installation included. Our Kevlar extensions weigh 2 ounces, clamp on your existing exhaust, and do not affect performance or jetting, just noise. Please ask us - we want you to ride, and we will help you get your bike quiet. Most stock mufflers in good shape are OK. You must have your vehicle checked with our decibel meter at registration or prior to riding. 96 db is the limit. This rule is absolute! Noise is the #1 reason our riding areas get closed down - don't be part of the problem, keep it quiet and be part of the solution!

• Red_Chili

Posted February 07, 2007 - 08:10 AM

I'd like to see those Kevlar extensions! Nice explanation by them, by the way.

Quiet Pipe = Clogged Exhaust.

I'm sorry to hear you have to make it quieter. I can't believe thay complain about you with some of the 450's running around.

My experience has been, the quieter you make it, the more neutered it becomes. Be prepaired to re-jet, and don't expect anything to produce the power you had.

Nope. It is possible to design an exhaust that both flows freely and is quieter, by using acoustics rather than restriction. Loud pipes sell, unfortunately, because the rider's impression is that it is more powerful I suppose...

I don't follow the logic that if 450s are loud, no one should complain about me?

• PutteLiten

Posted February 08, 2007 - 06:57 AM

One thing I liked was the improved mount - no longer a strap.

I called early January for availability for the XR, and they told me to they wanted to get the "other" bikes done first, and to check back next month (which is now I suppose). They are terrible at answering emails (actually haven't once), so I have to call again.

Thanks for the info :censored:

It's a shame they don't reply to mail, because I would have bought if they had.
But they didn't and I got an offer on a cheap Arrow can in Ti...
Although not as quiet, it was a no-brainer. A Ti system för the XR650R, all I need is to weld a db-killer and Im a happy bunny. :lol:

They need to come into the 21st century. I buy most of my sportbike parts trough mail only.
Not answering mail is loosing customers.

It's OK to call if you are in the states I guess, but Im in Europe, at CET time (GMT +1), calling is neither cheap nor convenient with regards to the time differences.

:ride:

• abby

Posted February 08, 2007 - 09:42 AM

I called FMF again today, talked to a different guy than I did the first time and he said there won't be a Q4 for the XR - Contrary to what I was told a month ago (that they were working on it and to call back in a month).

:censored:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • pgiinc

Posted February 08, 2007 - 04:46 PM

I put a Q2 on mine I think it is queiter then the stock with HRC tip
I would look at the Pro circuit 496

• motopsycho650

Posted February 10, 2007 - 06:36 AM

I'd like to see those Kevlar extensions! Nice explanation by them, by the way.

Nope. It is possible to design an exhaust that both flows freely and is quieter, by using acoustics rather than restriction. Loud pipes sell, unfortunately, because the rider's impression is that it is more powerful I suppose...

I don't follow the logic that if 450s are loud, no one should complain about me?

I'm not sure where you ride, but in a few of our common spots, there are usually a lot of riders around. By far, the newer 450 bikes are the loudest. It's just part of their design. When you combine a large bore, a short stroke, and a very high compression ratio, you end up with a very quick, short explosion that produces a very high amount of energy (more energy = more sound).

I have to disagree with you about the acoustics thing as well. When traveling, sound waves have the same characteristics as the exhaust gases themselves. The sound waves expand as they travel through the pipe, bouncing of the metal until they can exit.

The only way to cancel the sound is to design the pipe so that the sound waves bounce off the walls and directly into one another. The colliding sound waves break each other up a bit, resulting in slightly less volume.

The problem is, you are causing the sound waves to do something other than exit the bike. The exhaust gases follow the same path as the sound waves, so they too, are forced to do something other than exit the bike.

If noise cancelation technology was as good as what they say, we wouldn't need to buy ear-plugs at almost any pro-race, motorcycles or other vehicles.

• motopsycho650

Posted February 10, 2007 - 06:52 AM

Keep in mind, I live in CO. We don't have any noise restrictions except the standard 103Dbl limit for national forests. I am quite sure my XR650R with the HRC spark arrestor is well under 103Dbls.

My cousin rides a Yamaha WR450, uncorked. It has the stock exhaust without the baffle, throttle limiter ground down, and the grey wire is cut (so it does not retard the timing). I am pretty sure that he is under 103Dbls, but the tone is quite a bit more annoying than my 650. He bought the Yamaha racing "high-flow" baffle for 40-45 bucks, and it killed the bikes power. Totally neutered the top-end. He took it out, and cut the tubes shorter & shorter. But the bike never had near the top-end as it did without a baffle.

He's trying to find a slightly quieter pipe, but I bet he won't ever find anything that meets his power requirements.

• XRR-kat

Posted February 12, 2007 - 04:50 PM

May not answer the quiet exhaust question, but settled my XRR exhaust angst!

Been looking for exhaust tips, slip-ons or full exhausts since I got the BRP last July. Almost got the Jardine S4 full shown in post 10 this thread but was just outbid on eBay and just as well as I did not really want to spend $350 on a Jardine.

Anyway called the Moriwaki distributor - Big Valley Motor in NV and they said sure but takes month and a half. $471 full exhaust plus $20 shipping from Japan. Supposed to come with the spark arrestor. Now I just have to figure out how to make it quiet.

That was then, 15 FebBVM called back to say sorry but Moriwaki no longer makes this pipe! Haven't I just been reading about people buying them?! Said they sold last in June 06. Got an HRC tip, but it is much louder than stock but love the power and extended rev range.

• pgiinc

Posted February 12, 2007 - 06:05 PM

I just switched from stock with hrc tip with no sparka to a jardine. Much quieter and a full system for <300. Jardine has a add on/in that further reduces noise. Oh and the mid to top end is significantly improved!

give me a link to the full system for 300 Please

• XRR-kat

Posted February 13, 2007 - 07:29 AM

pgiinc,
Link not available any more from online store -

ebay only place I've seen them - Jardine S4 full exhaust.
There's a couple on there on there now. Last one went for $355 inc shipping.

• sanjoh

Posted February 13, 2007 - 01:41 PM

Here's a video with the Jardine.

http://s171.photobuc...nt=MOV01367.flv

• XRR-kat

Posted February 24, 2007 - 10:05 AM

"Anyway called the Moriwaki distributor - Big Valley Motor in NV and they said sure but takes month and a half. $471 full exhaust plus $20 shipping from Japan. Supposed to come with the spark arrestor. Now I just have to figure out how to make it quiet."

So much for my Moriwaki purchase ... Big Valley Honda called back to say Moriwaki no longer make the exhaust and refunded my charge card.

Anybody know who has a Moriwaki for the XR650R in stock???

• XRJunkie

Posted February 24, 2007 - 10:29 AM

I called FMF again today, talked to a different guy than I did the first time and he said there won't be a Q4 for the XR - Contrary to what I was told a month ago (that they were working on it and to call back in a month).

:applause:

Just called FMF on 2/21 and was told the same. No Q4 planned for XR650R. Ever. :applause:

Now I'm waivering between White Bros E2 and FMF Q2 with the Powerbomb header. Power is great, but I prefer stealth-ish power whenever possible. FMF says the header lowers noise and makes a bit more power. Not sure if it's worth $230-250, but...

• abby

Posted February 24, 2007 - 11:51 AM

Just called FMF on 2/21 and was told the same. No Q4 planned for XR650R. Ever. :applause:

Now I'm waivering between White Bros E2 and FMF Q2 with the Powerbomb header. Power is great, but I prefer stealth-ish power whenever possible. FMF says the header lowers noise and makes a bit more power. Not sure if it's worth $230-250, but...

I am a few days away from finishing up uncorking and mounting the Q2. I bought a Radio Shack DB meter, I am going to do a test with the Q2. I am sticking with the stock header, just plugging in the Q2.

I was going to post the results when I get it done.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 9 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.