Quiet XR650R exhaust?

118 replies to this topic
  • PutteLiten

Posted January 31, 2007 - 06:20 AM

Hello

Im in need of a 95ish db slip-on (or full system) for my 04 XR650R.

My local track has lowered the db restriction this year to 95db and will measure.
(I know they will measure me as they keep whining about how loud it is as is...)

I run stock pipe with the HRC exhaust tip, and it runs very good. Iv tried the stock quitet tip, but that sucked hard. :ride:

I tried a search for it on the forum, but didnt find an answer. Someone had drilled out the stock, but no pictures. It could be an option, if it retained some of the HRC power, and got to a decent sound level.

An option could be to take a quitet slip-on from a nother brand and modify the pipe part to have it suit the XR. But, it would be preferably not to have to do that... :ride:

• Hondathumper450

Posted January 31, 2007 - 08:37 AM

AAnxious to see the results from this post. Have a stock pipe with the core drilled and cut out for the power up Mod and is LOUD. Bought a darn near new stock exhaust off of ebay for 48 dollars shipped. Muffler and header assembly. It is still stock. How much power will you lose witht he power up kit, airbox mods and jet fix with a stock exhaust with no mods? WIll I have to change jets or will it just lose a little power?

• pburke

Posted January 31, 2007 - 10:08 AM

FMF Q might do the trick. Not sure if it will be 95 wide open, but close to it for sure.

• abby

Posted January 31, 2007 - 10:24 AM

Currently I am still corked (2005 xr650r). My main reason for uncorking it is not strictly for power gain, but for it to run cooler and start easier (but I'll take that power though if I can get a reasonable power/noise trade). When I am chasing my wife and my 7 and 8 year old kids around in the woods, my XR tends to overheat.

I am still on the fence about uncorking because of the noise. One place I ride has a 94 db limit. I do not want to be the loudest bike out there, even if that means I just make it under the 94 db limit.

So in my searching and talking, here is what I've gathered. If one of these facts seems wrong, someone please jump in and correct me - or even add in some more concrete data.

The HRC tip is supposedly somewhere around 100 db. I have no idea if that is a "real" value or not, but that's loud for where I am.

Baja designs makes a turn down insert for the HRC tip (but I can't find it on their website) which makes the HRC tip more quiet, but no consistent test data on noise level that I've been able to find. Some say under 96 db, some say not.

The drilled stock tip drilled out to 2 inches is supposedly quieter and more restricted in flow to the HRC tip, but no consistent test data on noise level that I've been able to find. XR650R.us FAQ says somewhere between 96 and 102 DB at test RPM (3250ish) at 8 feet back and 8 feet to the right.... but tests are normally done at 20 or 22 inches/45 degrees from the pipe. Too loud for me.

The drilled stock tip drilled to 1.5 inches is supposedly more quiet (and obviously more restricted) than when drilled to 2 inches, but no test data on how much. This was suggested to me to partially uncork more quietly, but I don't know how much. I'd bet though that is still over 94 db in a "real" test.

The other option I was looking into is the FMF Q2 Series, or the Q4 Series when it comes out for the XR (muffler only, not full exhaust). Q2 is available now, Q4 they told me to check back next month. FMF claims 96 db max for the Q2. And I don't know how they test, so I don't know what their claim of 96 db max means. They also say that "most models" test under 93 db - I don't know if the XRR is "most models". There is a site which tests the Q2 (not on an XR but on a crf450r) here: http://www.loudsucks.com/. Stock, the bike tested 97.3 db, with the Q2 it tested 95.4 db. I am GUESSING that an uncorked XR with the Q2 would test lower than the CRF with the Q2 does.

I have a tach and a sound meter, when it's not 10 degrees outside I am going to do a stock measurement (just curious what stock really is even on a cheapo meter), and hopefully uncork and get a drilled tip measurement. I wish I knew what the Q2 or Q4 would come in at before I drop $350.00 on one and I find that's too loud also and shelve it. I could care less how much the Q2 weighs or what it looks like -- if I knew that it would be the quietest of the above options, and hopefully come in the low 90's uncorked, then it is worth the money to me.

By the way, I personally am not bothered by the noise or the noise others make, but every person who does not ride around where I ride is. Every freakin' one.

• sanjoh

Posted January 31, 2007 - 12:58 PM

Here's a link to a bunch of exhaust system noise tests:

http://ohv.parks.ca....p?page_id=23038

• abby

Posted January 31, 2007 - 01:06 PM

Here's a link to a bunch of exhaust system noise tests:

http://ohv.parks.ca....p?page_id=23038

I have read those, they are sure better than nothing, but they are not too much use. The data is horribly incomplete, for example, they may specify FMF but not the type. Some FMF's are really loud too. And what they say stock on some must be the drilled stock tip, because the stock measurements vary 10-12 db...that's like twice as loud...probably also has to do a lot with the tester.

I tried to make some sense of it, but really can't make any decisions based on it.

• HawkGT

Posted January 31, 2007 - 01:19 PM

I went from an HRC tip to an HRC tip with the screen broken out (straight through, basically--the weld broke) to a Moriwaki full system. The Moriwaki spark arrestor quiets it down a lot. With the sparky it's a lots quieter than the broken HRC tip. I'd say it's also quieter than the un-broken HRC tip but I never heard them back to back. Sorry, no quantitative data but I'm quite pleased with the sound output of the Moriwaki.

• Hondathumper450

Posted January 31, 2007 - 01:20 PM

ANybody know hwo the XR ONLY Competition exhaust is witht eh power tip 12 disc system installed?

• sanjoh

Posted January 31, 2007 - 01:49 PM

I just switched from stock with hrc tip with no sparka to a jardine. Much quieter and a full system for <300. Jardine has a add on/in that further reduces noise. Oh and the mid to top end is significantly improved!

• sanjoh

Posted January 31, 2007 - 02:17 PM

Posted Image
Posted Image

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • pburke

Posted January 31, 2007 - 02:52 PM

I have read those, they are sure better than nothing, but they are not too much use. The data is horribly incomplete, for example, they may specify FMF but not the type. Some FMF's are really loud too. And what they say stock on some must be the drilled stock tip, because the stock measurements vary 10-12 db...that's like twice as loud...probably also has to do a lot with the tester.

I tried to make some sense of it, but really can't make any decisions based on it.

if you can wait 2 months, I can measure my FMF Q - I do have a db meter, but the bike is in pieces in the basement and won't come out until it's warm again

• trailsurfer

Posted January 31, 2007 - 03:29 PM

The Jardine looks really good, I really like the way they incorporated the heat shield. Thanks for the pics. I can't see how the muffler is mounted, is it stout?

• PutteLiten

Posted February 01, 2007 - 07:58 AM

Posted Image

Thanks all for your answers :ride:
Appreciate them all!

I see that there is hope, and the Jardine full system looks like a winner!
If not, then FMF is a serious muffler brand and makes A+ things for other bikes. Would be suppriced if they would make an inferior (quality vise) for a Honda.

Im very much with abby, look is irrelevant. I mean, how good does the stock look :ride:
And Im not personally bothered by the noice, I have to use earplugs or go deaf by the annoying wind noice in the MX helmet.

Though my neibours hate my bike... :ride:
The officials at the track hate my bike and motards in general due to the fact that most go way up the db scale.
And whenever Mr Blue Uniform sees me they give me the long eyes (should we try, or should we continue eating doughnuts...). heh, one day they will try, and I rather take a ticket that risk my life...

Sanjoh, is the multiple choises of Jardine, or is the only one to chose?
Don't wana spend 300 and get the wrong/noicy one.

• Red_Chili

Posted February 01, 2007 - 08:37 AM

IIRC 3dB is double the loudness. I could be mistaking sound level for a power measurement. I'm sure someone will point out my wrongness if so.:ride: :ride:

If I am mistaken about 3dB, pretty sure 6dB is double the loudness. In any event, 10-12dB is a HUGE variation.

I run a B-D turndown on my drilled stocker, it does make a very noticeable difference. A ranger at a spark arrestor check at a poker run commented, "Gee, a quiet one!". FWIW. B-D no longer makes them but they can be found.

• abby

Posted February 01, 2007 - 08:59 AM

IIRC 3dB is double the loudness. I could be mistaking sound level for a power measurement. I'm sure someone will point out my wrongness if so.:ride: :ride:

If I am mistaken about 3dB, pretty sure 6dB is double the loudness. In any event, 10-12dB is a HUGE variation.

I run a B-D turndown on my drilled stocker, it does make a very noticeable difference. A ranger at a spark arrestor check at a poker run commented, "Gee, a quiet one!". FWIW. B-D no longer makes them but they can be found.

From my understanding, 3db increase is twice the pressure, 33 percent increase in "perceived" sound. So 10ish db is double "perceived" sound.

I think....

• sanjoh

Posted February 01, 2007 - 09:58 AM

The bracket is beefy, not a strap, but welded. I have been using it as a tie down to stabilize on my hitch mounted carrier. Couldn't find the full system where I ordered it but here is a link to the slip on ($150). http://www.sumofallp...52-195089428102

The model is Jardine RT4. http://jardine.rides...&products_id=36

• trailsurfer

Posted February 01, 2007 - 10:30 AM

Cool, I assume you mean it's not a strap like the FMF Q? Thanks!

• sanjoh

Posted February 01, 2007 - 11:19 AM

Correct, no strap.

• ganshert

Posted February 01, 2007 - 01:30 PM

If you need new O-Rings for your BD turn down I have a whole bag. BD wanted $5 each and I found 25 for $6 online.

You can certainly have some for spares if you want.

I'm sure I'll see you somewhere this summer :ride:

• Dezrider

Posted February 01, 2007 - 01:31 PM

A few years ago I put this WB R4 on. Really loud! Especially with the spark arrestor screen out.:ride:

[IMG]http://[IMG]http://img168.imageshack.us/img168/6351/im002440or6.jpg[/IMG][/IMG]

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  158 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.