Boots: Little too big or too small?

21 replies to this topic
  • Drav

Posted 30 January 2007 - 05:45 PM

Since boots generally dont run in half sizes, is it better to have boots that are slightly too big (in foot room, not ankle) or too small to where your toes are slightly touching the caps?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • IamKazam

Posted 30 January 2007 - 05:54 PM

What kind of boots were you looking for?? I know Sidi crossfires run in half sizes, but they're pretty expensive.

• Drav

Posted 30 January 2007 - 05:57 PM

I have Berik OVS Pros in 11, but I wear 10.5 so they are a little roomy in the foot box, but the shin/ankle is nice and snug so I dont think its too much of an issue.

• TL426

Posted 30 January 2007 - 07:05 PM

id think it would be better to have them a little big cus then they wouldnt be incredibly uncomfortable like boots that are too small.

• 114suzuki4fiddy

Posted 30 January 2007 - 07:12 PM

Personally, if your foot is done growing then I'd rather a boot that was a little snug. You do not want "sloshing" in your boot where your foot can move inside the boot. I'd rather get them snug and break them in a bit instead of getting a pair of boots that are a little loose, but remember they are going to break in and might be even more loose. Just a thought to consider. Good luck!!

• tomcanfixit

Posted 30 January 2007 - 07:46 PM

My vote is for too big you can always use thicker socks

• Valerie Wilson

Posted 30 January 2007 - 07:49 PM

I disagree. Having your boots too small is bad for your toes. You will not have any big toenails if you do. Hubby did that, trust me its not pretty.
They make insoles you can put in your boots
http://shop.thumpert...efault.asp?p=74
and you can wear the thick socks.
My boots are a bit big and the insoles and thicker socks work great.

• 114suzuki4fiddy

Posted 30 January 2007 - 08:29 PM

Does in the insoles effect the inner bootie on a alpinestar boot? I'm now curious about this insole. I'd like to do that, but would in just go on the bottom under the bootie? Thanks!

• Drav

Posted 30 January 2007 - 09:51 PM

Yeah thats what im thinking, just throwing some thicker insoles, should do the trick.

• Valerie Wilson

Posted 31 January 2007 - 01:50 PM

Does in the insoles effect the inner bootie on a alpinestar boot? I'm now curious about this insole. I'd like to do that, but would in just go on the bottom under the bootie? Thanks!

I would put the insole under the bootie. I had a pair of tech 8's and I think the way the inner bootie is shaped that it would be better and more comfortable to put the insole under the bootie. This way you never have to mess with them. Once they are in they are in.

• red7

Posted 31 January 2007 - 02:25 PM

Another vote for a little too big over too small. If your toes are right against the end of the boot it hurts your toes if they keep hitting the front every time you land or hit a big bump.

• willierides

Posted 01 February 2007 - 08:58 AM

You'll be sorry if you get some that are on the small side. They may "pack out" a little, but it will be minimal. They won't "break in" enough to be comfortable and you'll be miserable. Not to mention that you can really mess up your feet and toes that way.

On the other hand, David Knight has feet that are like size 13 or something and he crushes his feet into boots that are two sizes too small.:ride: His reasoning is that those two sizes make a huge difference in trying to avoid snagging his feet on stuff. Definitely can not imagine squishing my feet into boots that are that tight. I think it'd make riding a freakin' miserable experience. When I heard him say that, I was floored. That dude is insane.

• 114suzuki4fiddy

Posted 01 February 2007 - 09:18 AM

My problem is that I'm in the process of getting tech 10's next week. I've tried on size 9's and 10's. On the 9's, the tension bar on the inner bootie rubs my ankles but my toes barely even nip the end of the boots. The 10's are pretty loose. Would ya'll just get size 10's and get insoles?

• mjskier

Posted 01 February 2007 - 10:13 AM

I would put the insole under the bootie. I had a pair of tech 8's and I think the way the inner bootie is shaped that it would be better and more comfortable to put the insole under the bootie. This way you never have to mess with them. Once they are in they are in.

With the bootie in the tech 8 there are 2 ways to go about it:
- You can remove the existing insolde from inside the bootie and replace it with something a bit more supportive, like the
green superfeet. They will be an improvement over the mostly useless insole that comes with the boots since they have arch support.
You can even get full custom insoles molded to your feet from any local ski store.

- You can leave the existing insole and instead put a pad under the bootie itself. Again, a ski shop would be the easiest way to get one of these pads, but you can always mail order from a place like tognar.com:
bontex insole shims come in different thickness so you can tailor the fit to your liking.

I went the way of the custom insoles since I had several pairs left over from years of skiing. I like the arch support.

Bruno.

• willierides

Posted 01 February 2007 - 11:30 AM

My problem is that I'm in the process of getting tech 10's next week. I've tried on size 9's and 10's. On the 9's, the tension bar on the inner bootie rubs my ankles but my toes barely even nip the end of the boots. The 10's are pretty loose. Would ya'll just get size 10's and get insoles?

Well, maybe Tech 10's aren't the right boot for you? :ride:

• 114suzuki4fiddy

Posted 01 February 2007 - 12:43 PM

Well, maybe Tech 10's aren't the right boot for you? :ride:

I think your right. I tried them out again and I think its only going to be a problem. Any ideas about what boots to get? tech 8's or is there any other brand better? Thanks for any info!

• bloodsugarmx

Posted 01 February 2007 - 06:32 PM

I'll be honest, I love the way Alpinestar's fit my feet... but they are pieces of shit that just dont hold up. I bought a pair of Gaerne sg10's and the fit is even better and quality cant be beat. Durability and comfort are what I look for in a boot and Gaerne is all Im going to wear for a long time.

• bthomas

Posted 01 February 2007 - 07:28 PM

I'll be honest, I love the way Alpinestar's fit my feet... but they are pieces of shit that just dont hold up. I bought a pair of Gaerne sg10's and the fit is even better and quality cant be beat. Durability and comfort are what I look for in a boot and Gaerne is all Im going to wear for a long time.

Ditto on the SG10's. Very comfy. I use EVS socks & gel soles. I can wear them all day. Alot of support, well made.:ride:

• Anthony Haas

Posted 05 February 2007 - 01:23 PM

If the ankle area is snug on both sizes I'd go with the larger boots and run some thicker socks. The most important thing is that the ankle is snug and supportive.

• red7

Posted 05 February 2007 - 08:44 PM

Ditto on the SG10's. Very comfy. I use EVS socks & gel soles. I can wear them all day. Alot of support, well made.:censored:

Yep, I started with a pair of astar tech 6's but they were crap and I just upgraded to the SG10's and what a difference!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Motocross Bowl Corners (how to) by Gary_Semics

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   MX Riding Technique
  • 15 replies
Forums
Photo

Serious Racers Wanted! by Gary_Semics

• 4 replies
Forums
Photo

Motocross Cornering Skills by Gary_Semics

• 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Motocross Corner Speed (Learn How) by Gary_Semics

• 1 reply
Wiki
How To Seat Bounce - last post by Gary_Semics

How To Seat Bounce

Wiki Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

Register Close
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.