Weyerheauser closes access to Trask

25 replies to this topic
  • forestgrump

Posted January 30, 2007 - 04:56 PM

Talked to Whorehouser to day and was told that they are NOT allowing public access to their property into the The Burn. Their will be no access from Yamhill area thru their property because of Saftey Concerns and Maintance issues.(BULLSHIT)

• loynz

Posted January 30, 2007 - 05:43 PM

It's been that way in Washington for over a decade now. They'll allow a street licensed rock crawler through their gates, but a dualsport with street tires is not allowed....&%$#@!! :ride:

• forestgrump

Posted January 30, 2007 - 08:10 PM

Yea, I know all their Bullshit answers and excuses. I saw all this coming 10 years ago when they did a hostile takeover on Willamette Industries. Who was everybody's friend. Well I don't think there's any thing I can do to change it, unless their is a large public outcry. And things like don't happen down here in Oregon!

• The Zook

Posted January 30, 2007 - 08:40 PM

Yea, I know all their Bullshit answers and excuses. I saw all this coming 10 years ago when they did a hostile takeover on Willamette Industries. Who was everybody's friend. Well I don't think there's any thing I can do to change it, unless their is a large public outcry. And things like don't happen down here in Oregon!

You can still access that area by going up elkflats or ginger creek

• forestgrump

Posted January 31, 2007 - 03:00 AM

You're missing the point, We were just locked out of 40,00 acres! No more access to public lands behind there gates!

• DirtCheapJohn

Posted January 31, 2007 - 06:41 AM

Petiton to have their tax exemption for providing public recreation revoked.

• trailmeisterjoe

Posted January 31, 2007 - 06:35 PM

Now THATS the way to get it done! how do the Oregon guys do that?
Joe

• MikeA796

Posted January 31, 2007 - 08:14 PM

One Saturday in 2003 I was riding at Lowpass outside of Eugene and got a $250 tresspassing ticket from a stater. He was miles away from any pavment and was standing in the trail with weapon drawn! I pull over and out comes a weyerhauser imployee from the woods, I'm told the as of yesterday the trails are posted no tresspass. I tell him I had no idea and I will leave, but I'm not going anyplace without a ticket!The cop tries to tell me I will have to push my yzf426 back! We are talking miles of singletrack here! Finaly I get to ride out. On the way back I'm looking for the big sign I must have ridden past, I finally find a 5x9 inch plate nailed about ten feet up a tree with typed writing on it saying no tresspassing!Not one sign at the parking lot. Did I mention that this state employee police officer was miles out in the woods on roads you have to have the keys to get into?This was my tax money going to fund weyerhausers security force! To top it off I had my brother riding one of my spare bikes and he got the ticket too, I'm out $500!He was thinking about getting back into riding after a long time off too, Guess what ? He hasnt rode since. I grew up about 5 miles from this riding area and my family had ridden there for years (20+) before this. I havent been there since that day. I also took it to trial and lost! I hate weyerhauser!!

• doggerdan1

Posted January 31, 2007 - 08:42 PM

This is all typical of Weyerhauser's BS.

• FlEYEingDubyah

Posted January 31, 2007 - 10:25 PM

He was miles away from any pavement and was standing in the trail with weapon drawn! I hate Weyerhauser!!

I wonder if he rode a bike in there. :ride:

With regard to their policy: I certainly don't get it.:ride:

• stones1973

Posted January 31, 2007 - 10:44 PM

I just learned about this company in my environmental science class. check out this link and see the mess they made in Canada. http://ran.org/what_...eyerhaeuser/?0=

Weyerhaeuser exceeded its legal summer logging allowance by 100 percent and 20-year road building allowance by 70 percent in less than five years.
If they still run things this way it sounds like you'll be lucky to have any woods to ride in when they get done.

• re.ryder

Posted February 01, 2007 - 08:01 AM

One Saturday in 2003 I was riding at Lowpass outside of Eugene and got a $250 tresspassing ticket from a stater. He was miles away from any pavment and was standing in the trail with weapon drawn! I pull over and out comes a weyerhauser imployee from the woods, I'm told the as of yesterday the trails are posted no tresspass. I tell him I had no idea and I will leave, but I'm not going anyplace without a ticket!The cop tries to tell me I will have to push my yzf426 back! We are talking miles of singletrack here! Finaly I get to ride out. On the way back I'm looking for the big sign I must have ridden past, I finally find a 5x9 inch plate nailed about ten feet up a tree with typed writing on it saying no tresspassing!Not one sign at the parking lot. Did I mention that this state employee police officer was miles out in the woods on roads you have to have the keys to get into?This was my tax money going to fund weyerhausers security force! To top it off I had my brother riding one of my spare bikes and he got the ticket too, I'm out $500!He was thinking about getting back into riding after a long time off too, Guess what ? He hasnt rode since. I grew up about 5 miles from this riding area and my family had ridden there for years (20+) before this. I havent been there since that day. I also took it to trial and lost! I hate weyerhauser!!

Check the Oregon civil code Chapter 164.270 on trespass, and you will see that one of the requirements for prosecution is that the property be posted by signs "no smaller than eight inches in height and 11 inches in width" and " must be posted at normal points of entry and be no further apart than 350 yards". Print out the law and carry it with you. If you show it to a cop, you may not get the ticket, and if you get the ticket, you have a defense. I was up there in August, and no way did they have postings every 350 feet along their property lines.
Oregon has a deputy sheriff who has been given the job of seeing that the laws are applicable to citations that are written, kind of a cross between public ombudsman (look it up) and court monitor. His name is Steve Vitolo and his office number is 503 986-4446, celphone 503 932-0493 and he recently helped me get a dismissal of an inappropriate ticket. It had to be done before judgement was given and I think your tickets are already paid from what you wrote. You can't just claim 'foul' to get his help. You have to do some research to find out what the actual law says and have a good reason why it does not apply to your citation. I'm not a lawyer but I got it handled, saved myself $250 and points to my license.

• nw scout

Posted February 01, 2007 - 01:35 PM

Does anyone know which ridding areas this effects.
Yes, I realize in the big picture it somehow effects all our ridding areas, but what spots exactly!
Is the hole trask closed down? What about nestucca and Jorden creek?
I am guessing that it is just certin areas of the trask, but not ALL the trails.
Anyone know of actual trail closures.
When I hit the trails this weekend, I would like to stay away from armed rangers and big tickets:bonk:
Dave

• FlEYEingDubyah

Posted February 01, 2007 - 02:52 PM

Does anyone know which ridding areas this effects? ...but what spots exactly!

What I get from the post is that the road(s) that lead into the TSF from the east side (if you left from Yamhill and went west into the mountains) are gated\blocked...trails on the public lands are not closed down officially, but practically because now access for Joe Citizen is blocked.

• nw scout

Posted February 01, 2007 - 03:36 PM

Hmmm.
Only the roads that Warehouser built?

• The Zook

Posted February 01, 2007 - 07:07 PM

Does anyone know which ridding areas this effects.
Yes, I realize in the big picture it somehow effects all our ridding areas, but what spots exactly!
Is the hole trask closed down? What about nestucca and Jorden creek?
I am guessing that it is just certin areas of the trask, but not ALL the trails.
Anyone know of actual trail closures.
When I hit the trails this weekend, I would like to stay away from armed rangers and big tickets:bonk:
Dave

Nestuca, jordan creek, are both open. It affects the area behind Flying m Ranch side. The gate is above the ranch. I think thats where he is talking about.

• Ride

Posted February 01, 2007 - 08:48 PM

I thought that area was closed anyway :ride: They have been making it hard to get into that area for a while and Toll rd. was the start of it.

Just got back from Jordon Creek an hour ago and they might as well close that whole area. Never seen so much clear cutting. Seems stick-in-the-nose it about the only trail still in one piece. The Burn is screwed :ride: We also hit the Keening side and it is a mess with new clear cuts. AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• FlEYEingDubyah

Posted February 01, 2007 - 10:27 PM

I thought that area was closed anyway :ride: They have been making it hard to get into that area for a while and Toll rd. was the start of it.

If you head out of Yamhill on Pike Rd, you can catch Old Rail Road Grade Rd (by taking a left at Rockyford Rd) and take it all the way to Toll Rd.

It's a long, picking way to drive on gravel roads, but you can actually make it to the top of the Murphy block (Big and Little Bertha), but I can't imagine driving in that way because it's so long (if you are trying to keep from riding WH land on your way into ODF land).

We got lost one time on a late afternoon ride over on the east side. :ride: Three of us - two with helmet and headlights, one guy really grateful to ride between us.:ride: We got really lucky and ended up on a ridge around 10:30PM (at about 50 miles of riding) and could see the 'northern lights' (Aurora Borealis), only they turned out to be McMinnville. The road we chose took us out of the woods above and to the north of Flying M, right past Camp Yamhill, and into town. So, I know it's makable, I just wouldn't want to do it in a truck. (Good thing the sheriff was sleeping when we got into Yamhill...he never would have let us ride our dirt bikes, like we did, to Carlton to meet up with our pit crew:busted: )

• mcdrz

Posted February 02, 2007 - 08:21 AM

Tell me more and we will get the OMRA involved to get it done if this is what it takes.

• re.ryder

Posted February 02, 2007 - 04:22 PM

Tell me more and we will get the OMRA involved to get it done if this is what it takes.

The TSF is public land and the former Willamette, now Weyerhauser is private with bits of public land scattered through it. If you get a forest map from State Forestry in Forest Grove you'll see different colored sqares denoting ownership in the area. I would bet that Toll road is a county road from years ago and it has just been dropped from the maintenance schedule and gated by permit. If it is a public road, the gates may be illegal or revokable. But even if Toll Road is public, the land along it is not, and subject to trespass laws.
I was riding Cedar Creek Road (off the east end of Toll Road) a cuppla years ago and was stopped by a Yamhill County deputy sheriff who told me that I was on private property and that Weyerhauser had hired him from the sheriff's department for patrol. He was pretty relaxed and non threatening about it and I'm pretty sure that Cedar Creek Road is public, but I didn't argue.
The boundary line between TSF and Weyerhauser is a north-south line just east of Murphy's Camp and if you ride up Toll Road toward Flying M, you'll come to a gate (usually open) which I suspect is on the property line.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

RegisterSign InClose
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.