Tight chain?

7 replies to this topic
  • shoboat90

Posted January 30, 2007 - 10:55 AM

Went on my first ride this weekend with my new 2002 426...what a blast! However, I do have a question about the condition of the chain now. It seems way too tight.....definitely was not like that before I road? Any ideas why this would be? In my experience with street bikes...they would typically get loose not tight?

thanks
jim

• YZ426F Rider

Posted January 30, 2007 - 02:54 PM

I can't think of any way that a chain would become tighter during a ride short of the rear axle sliding to the rear...and that's not going to happen with the engine pulling on it.

Are you comparing it in the same manner as when you did your pre-ride measurement? For instance, when your bike is on a bike stand with the wheel hanging down it will be more loose than if you were to check it while the bike is upright with weight on the wheels...or strapped down in the back of a truck or trailer.

• grayracer513

Posted January 30, 2007 - 04:44 PM

I had this happen on an XR650 that we rode in the '05 24 Hours of Glen Helen. It tightened so much we had to go out on the course and reset the tension before we could move the bike any farther. Then by the end of the race, it was too loose again. I've never seen it before, and we never figured it out.

• sean3239

Posted January 30, 2007 - 04:49 PM

I'm sure someone will have an answer, these guys know everything! :ride: Assuming its not what YZ426 rider said, the only time I have seen the chain get tight is when its full of mud but I think you would notice that. :ride:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • YZ426F Rider

Posted January 30, 2007 - 05:35 PM

Hmmm...maybe the lower chain roller got bent upwards? Maybe there is some kind of wang in the chain guide? Maybe something got wedged under the chain slider?

• shoboat90

Posted January 30, 2007 - 06:11 PM

Well, I didn't measure it before the ride...however, I did look at it and it seemed fine. Now, it does not seem fine...too tight.

I'll check the lower roller and see if that's bent in some way.....I did wipe out once. If it's not...I guess I'll just adjust the slack per the manual?

thanks and I'll let you know what I find.

jim

• lt1air

Posted January 31, 2007 - 03:03 AM

check your sprockets, if there worn out and bent towards the front of the bike , your chain will ride up on the tip of the sprocket making it tighter

• shoboat90

Posted January 31, 2007 - 04:53 PM

Everything looks alright to me. I'm no mechanic, but I compared my chain, sprockets, etc. to my buddies bike and no noticeable differences. So, I just adjusted the slack per the manual......we'll see what happens after my next ride.

thanks for the advice
jim

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.