New Drive Train

4 replies to this topic

Posted January 30, 2007 - 09:58 AM

So my stock chain sucked and I bought a DID but I rode it with too much slack - now my rear sprocket is junk

I'm told that I should buy all 3 compenents together.

I was thinking Renthal 13 and 49 with a DID chain... any thought?

• sean3239

Posted January 30, 2007 - 10:08 AM

I am sure you will get a lot of combinations that people like on here. Myself, have Renthal R1 Gold and two wheels I switch out depending on tread and flats. One has a Renthal 50 and the other has a Sunstar 50. They both are holding up well after about 6 months. The Renthal sprocket surprises me because its aluminum yet the teeth look great. I think the key is alignment and slack! Miss either one and :ride:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted January 30, 2007 - 10:24 AM

You just bought the chain, and I'll assume it's a high grade DID. If it has not been on the bike long, measure the chain to detect stretching. There are two ways of doing this:

> Using a vernier caliper, measure several sections of the chain by measuring from the inside edge of one roller to the inside of the eleventh roller down the run. The manufactured length is 5.85" when measured this way. The manual states the wear limit is 6.0", but in your situation, where you intend to use it on new sprockets, you should reject it if you find any of the several sections checked to be more than 5.9".

> Lay the chain out on the floor, and count out 101 pins. Measure between the two pins at the ends of this 101 pin set. The original length would be 62.5", and you should reject it at 63.125".

I have replaced a number of worn rear sprockets while reusing the chain and front sprocket. It depends on why the sprocket is worn, and on the actual condition of the other two components used as to whether they should all be replaced at once.

• grayracer513

Posted January 30, 2007 - 10:30 AM

I ...have (a) Renthal R1 Gold (chain)

And an excellent chain it is. But you should know that it's a Regina ORN6, and the Regina is about $20 less expensive.

• sean3239

Posted January 30, 2007 - 10:34 AM

And an excellent chain it is. But you should know that it's a Regina ORN6, and the Regina is about $20 less expensive.

Wow! that's quite a % difference. Thanks, I have had good luck with that chain so I will look for the Regina from now on.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.