07 YZ450 Off Road Riding

8 replies to this topic
  • hall1012

Posted January 29, 2007 - 11:18 PM

I just got a shiny new 07 YZ 450 to go along with my 04 WR450. I am totally aware that they are two different bikes, set up for two different things, but I am a bit disappointed. My WR will tractor up any hill in any gear and never stalls, but the new YZF does not like to be ridden at low RPMs, or tractor up hills like the WR. Will the GYTR off road flywheel help this out? I'm assuming it would help, but if anyone has some first-hand info on this I would greatly appreciate it. I was also thinking of going up 1 tooth on the rear.

But these negatives do not out-weigh the positives. This things runs like a raped ape!!!:ride:

• NorCal

Posted January 29, 2007 - 11:34 PM

You just need to work that left hand a little more and ride it more agressively. I would definitely reccommend a heavier flywheel and possibly a header pipe that swoops down low for more low end power.

I'll bet you anything you'll get guys telling you to install a Rekluse. That could be an option, too. I personally hate them... I won't tell you why because I might hurt someone's feelings:p

Congrats on the new YZ450!!!

• hall1012

Posted January 29, 2007 - 11:46 PM

:ride: No way! A Rekluse is not an option. If I was too lazy to use the clutch I wouldn't be riding. I agree it might be a good alternative to some riders, but......... actually I lied, they're for lazy people. Sorry.:ride:

• Raider925

Posted January 30, 2007 - 09:22 AM

Is hall1012 and NorCal the same person?!?! LMAO

I suggest a rekluse. I have it and love it. I can ride the technical stuff and drink beer at the same time with the rekluse. does that make me lazy?:ride:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • YZ426F Rider

Posted January 30, 2007 - 09:36 AM

C'mon...real men/good riders don't need flywheel weights or new headers :ride: .

I've only been riding/racing offroad for 32 years so I haven't got that whole clutch-thingy figured out yet, plus I'm lazy as hell...so I use a Rekluse. :ride:

All joking aside, just drop a tooth on the front or add a couple on the rear. I don't think adding one to the rear will make much of a difference...the YZ's have fairly tall first gears. A FWW will always make a motocrosser more trailable without really affecting anything else too much.

• grayracer513

Posted January 30, 2007 - 09:44 AM

The fact is that in a situation where feathering the clutch is actually required, a well made mechanical device like the Rekluse can do the feathering better than you can, no matter how good you think you are. That's why auto clutches are used even by the most highly skilled, non-lazy drivers in the top drag racing classes.

Most of my riding simply doesn't warrant the use of one on a bike like the YZ450, and I prefer a manual clutch anyway, being the old curmudgeon that I am. You can have your preference, too, but be realistic. They do what they do better than you can do it. They aren't the answer to everything, but they have their place, and ambition has nothing to do with it.

• NorCal

Posted January 30, 2007 - 12:57 PM

Is hall1012 and NorCal the same person?!?! LMAO

I suggest a rekluse. I have it and love it. I can ride the technical stuff and drink beer at the same time with the rekluse. does that make me lazy?:applause:

:ride:

Raider925. Ha!

I don't know what's worse- the Oakland Raiders or you on a technical trail?:ride:

That might have been below the belt!:ride: Just playin' with ya' buddy. But you and your rekluse should make sweet:awww:

• 99raptor

Posted January 30, 2007 - 02:23 PM

go with a flywheel weight,,,,i have a 'stealy 'on mine and it really helped

• Raider925

Posted January 30, 2007 - 02:35 PM

:ride:

Raider925. Ha!

I don't know what's worse- the Oakland Raiders or you on a technical trail?:ride:

That might have been below the belt!:ride: Just playin' with ya' buddy. But you and your rekluse should make sweet:awww:

Haha man that was brutal! I cant even respond to that one:worthy:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Should I buy this bike? help....... by Numsa Hul

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   What bike should I buy?
  • 10 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

BIGBORE FOR YZ450F 2006? by Taattie94

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Wilson the Blue Privateer by jetfuel

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  50 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.