650R Top Speed?? puzzled.

15 replies to this topic
  • Doharris90

Posted January 29, 2007 - 09:17 PM

I was finally able to get a GPS and test my top speed on the 650r and was very dissapointed.
I have a 2005 R with the Edlebrock Carb with #19 needle and HRC Exhaust tip on Stock muffler. Totally uncorked to my knowledge.
Stock Gearing and Wheels.
Elevation 2880 ft above sea level.
There is no backfire on decel.
I weigh 225 and fully geared about 240
I didn't have a full stretch and the bike did go 90 MPH but after reaching 85 it seemed the bike didn't have anything left. My buddies 650l BONE Stock does 93 in the same elevation.
I am tired of my buddies L and my other buddies KTM 525 beating me... =) Any suggestions? Will a pipe make any real difference?
I have heard that a rev box will not do me any good at this point? true? If I drill the airbox is it noticeable? I just want it to reach 101 MPH. what do I need to do?
Will I suffer a huge los in MPG?

• HawkGT

Posted January 29, 2007 - 11:00 PM

Just to share some recent experience I've had with top speed:

The other week I hit 101 (gps) on pavement with 15/49 gearing, 2000ft, 55 degrees, uncorked, Moriwaki exhaust w/ sparky installed, 168 main in stock carb. I maybe could have eeked out another mile or two or three? per hour if I had really tried [shrug] but that's was about all she had at that time and place.

In my experience, the actual top speed attainable at any given time and place can very noticably. In one situation it might be 95 while in another it's 103--same bike just different conditions.

But if your getting beat up by an L then something might be wrong. Make sure it's jetted right. Any experienced dynos around? That could tell you a lot about what's what.

• wickedsprint

Posted January 30, 2007 - 04:55 AM

Something must be wrong, I live at 6100 feet, uncorked and I can get around 96 on the gps on pavement with knobbies and have seen around 92ish on dirt.

• creeky

Posted January 30, 2007 - 07:13 AM

My son's '02 BRP, Honda power up kit, Edelbrock pumper with 19E needle, adjuster 20 clicks out, stock gearing, will crack 100 just about anytime. Maybe you need to play with the jetting a little.

• Motosprtman

Posted January 30, 2007 - 07:34 AM

Eeek! me never wana go that fast! I just figure my XRL goes "plenty Fast" ... and crusies really nice at 60 plus.

• porterdog

Posted January 30, 2007 - 08:53 AM

Do a throttle-chop plug read from high rpm and see what you get, rich or lean. I know that cutting the airbox cover typically requires rejetting with the stock carb, so it must make a difference in airflow...

• Doharris90

Posted January 30, 2007 - 01:57 PM

My son's '02 BRP, Honda power up kit, Edelbrock pumper with 19E needle, adjuster 20 clicks out, stock gearing, will crack 100 just about anytime. Maybe you need to play with the jetting a little.

Do you have the stock exhaust and what is your elevation?. Yeah I cannot figure it out. according to everything that I have read I should be able to crack 100 with the edlebrock and my setup. Uncorked the HRC Exhaust tip.
:ride: :ride:

• pgiinc

Posted January 30, 2007 - 02:03 PM

put a 15 tooth on the front easy 10mph

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • BWB63

Posted January 30, 2007 - 02:20 PM

How many clicks out is the #19 needle? You do not give that info. What is the pump needle at. you need to be at least 16 clicks out on that #19

• Doharris90

Posted January 30, 2007 - 02:31 PM

How many clicks out is the #19 needle? You do not give that info. What is the pump needle at. you need to be at least 16 clicks out on that #19

Well because of elevation differences I simply adjust the needle until I get the backfire in DECeL then adjust in until there is no backfire.

• creeky

Posted January 30, 2007 - 02:43 PM

Do you have the stock exhaust and what is your elevation?. Yeah I cannot figure it out. according to everything that I have read I should be able to crack 100 with the edlebrock and my setup. Uncorked the HRC Exhaust tip.
:ride: :ride:

Stock muffler opened up , elevation here is 400-800 ft.

• Mojave Monster

Posted January 30, 2007 - 06:50 PM

DoHarris,
Just for comparison I'm 165 lbs, my XRR is an 05. Uncorked... jetted, pipe, headers, air box opened up, 15 front sprocket, and I get GPS 98 on the dry lake beds without too much effort. Your GPS could be off but an L going faster, something is amiss. 60 pounds is a considerable difference between our weights. What does your buddy with the L weigh?

• xr650rkyle

Posted January 30, 2007 - 07:49 PM

Get a PIPE. You will feel the difference.
Either a T4 or a xr's only... The power comes on very fast!

• 2000 xr650r

Posted January 30, 2007 - 08:53 PM

Get a PIPE. You will feel the difference.
Either a T4 or a xr's only... The power comes on very fast!

Although i do not have one I have heard on hear many times the HRC tipped stocker is very good compared to most slip-ons. Full system may be a diffrent story but thats gonna cost 500-650 bucks.

• PutteLiten

Posted January 31, 2007 - 06:00 AM

Change the gearing.

I run 15/42 with 17" motard rims
(uncorked) HRC exhaust tip
Jeted carb, done by a pro (MX riders mechanic helped me, made a HUGE diffrence! dont remember the settings though... sorry)
Elevation is more or less sea level, +30-40 meters up.

I weight 172 lb. (geared up)

Ive been clocked at 105mph , but sure takes some time to get there.
If I could get the engine go to the rev limiter...

• Thumpage

Posted January 31, 2007 - 06:13 AM

I would have to add that the #19 may just be a bit too rich of a needle with the stock header at that elevation. You might be better off with an 18E. And of course there is the needle adjustment also. You might have it set too rich along with using that needle.
Oh, and opening up the sidecover does help let the bike breath better when you have an Edelbrock, exhaust mods & better flowing airfilter setup. :ride:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.