What's going to replace the XRL?

38 replies to this topic
  • wickedsprint

Posted February 03, 2007 - 05:19 PM

y

As far as the CRF450 being better its debateable, all I know is that jaws drop when the kids see what an extra 210 CC's can do (450 vs 660). Yes little jimmy size does matter and bigger is most deffinetly always better.

And even more so when they try to race you, I've raced several 250 smokers and one WR450F and literally dusted both through about 70 ish.

• lhark

Posted February 04, 2007 - 05:33 AM

Even if they don't make a new one, there's plenty of parts, and enthusiasts to keep the things working. I expect Honda will come up with something...I envision an aluminum frame, LC 650 E start, with dual sport capabilities.
The 450 motor is too high-strung to make for long term reliability IMO, and I can't imagine them building a whole new engine just for this type of machine.
Fun to speculate though, isn't it?

• razcob

Posted February 06, 2007 - 11:26 AM

My wish list:
Liquid cooled engine, Electric Start
Add a sturdier rear rack/subframe, Digital Speedo/etc.
Increase stator output, Soften Seat
Minimum 4 gallon plastic tank,
fuel injection
6 gears, dual exhaust, $6900

• oldchvytrx

Posted February 06, 2007 - 11:32 AM

In a moment of idle speculation I began to wonder if they are not making the XR650L anymore, what will replace it?

Will it be a lower compression watercooled 650R with electric leg and CRF forks?

Any thoughts?

<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>
NOOOOOOO NOOOOOOOOO!!!!
Leave the Sacred Pig Bike alooooone!!:moon: :ride: :eek:
Say it ain't so :lol: :ride:
Me and my "pig" are going to retire together..... So There!:censored:
:applause: :applause: :applause:

• oldchvytrx

Posted February 06, 2007 - 11:39 AM

How did you shorten it so much?

<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>
If you were 5'6" or less you'd understand.
I'm 6'2" with a 35" inseam and flatfootin' my pig is darn near a stretch for me:eek:

• TahomaTom

Posted February 06, 2007 - 05:31 PM

I am in the shipping business and I feel for anybody importing these cheap chinese bikes. They are garbage and only good for 1000 miles. Need parts - good luck.

I hope they stay with the air cooled big bore.

• Descalzo

Posted February 07, 2007 - 01:46 AM

Pure speculation on my part, but through very casual observation of the past w/Honda XR-R, XR-L models, it seems that the "outdated" R models morph into the "new" L model. (ie: the current L is incredibly simular to the '99 R, etc)

Following that premise - I wouldn't be surprised to see the eventual "new L" being based very closely to the currently being phased out R model. I think this idea has further credence considering that the '07 R's are apparently only being sold in the US (can't get one overseas, can't get one in Canada, ect). Following Honda's past model succesion, I suspect if you'd take an R, add the needed emissions equipment, a battery, DOT legal lights, electric start & a reinforced sub-frame w/pass pegs - you're looking at the "new" L model.

I've no idea what might replace the current R. If it's not dropped outright, I'd suspect something with an updated suspension and a more off-road oriented engine tune (ie the HRC kit std equipment). Considering the R hasn't seen any major changes since it's introduction in '00, (which is "forever" in dirtbike years) it'll either get a major overhaul, or dropped (I suspect dropped. Considering it's a white elephant in the off-road world - aside from the Husaberg & other boutiqe brands, there's no competition/market of big-bore off road bikes & Honda's got the CRF-X to compete for the majority of the open class bikes available, and since they've finally proven it a worthy sucessor of the desert crown with the Baja wins this past year - I theorize they can drop the XR-R with a clear head.)

Again, following Honda's modus operandi of the past, and considering the huge tooling costs of a new model - If you wanna see the new "L", again I say look at the current "R". I propose they'll refit the current R model into the L to compete in the "showroom dirt worthy" dual-sport/adventure catagory with KTM & Husky, (leaving Suzuki & Kawi to flounder with the 70's tech, not-really-worthy-of-dirt-or-street, dual sports), I foresee Honda dropping the big-bore off-road only "R" model all together, and doing away with the air cooled, short suspended, steel framed relic, they now sell as the L.

jmo.

• Descalzo

Posted February 07, 2007 - 04:25 AM

as a side note re: EPA fear-mongering killing dualsports/dirt bikes -

oh, please. The only thing that's going to happen is we'll enjoy better bikes that the rest of the world already has. Air cooled & carburated? Probably not, but air cooling's a relic (sorry, but true) & carb jetting is a PIA. Wouldn't it be nice to ride over that mountain range without having to stop & re-jet? (lean it out on the way up, now richen it back on the way down the other side)

As for a bike meeting 2010 standards, it already exists. They sell them in europe - witness the Husky TE610IE http://www.husqvarna...119&rpstry=167_ EFI, cat. equipped & exceeds Euro 3 air standards - Look for it in your showrooms nationwide 2010 & I'll bet it's in CA next year. :censored:

• Boy named sue

Posted February 07, 2007 - 08:50 AM

Wow that would make me happy A factory street legal 650r

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • hypersthenos

Posted February 07, 2007 - 11:28 AM

Yep, if Honda releases a DS version of the current R model I'll buy one.

• frog13

Posted February 07, 2007 - 07:09 PM

I'm new to Thumper talk,so bare with me folks. I'm going to purchase my first DS bike this year--a 650L.Why?; because it is built like a tank and as stated,doesn't need the high rpm's to get the job done---so I have read.

• wheelnut46

Posted February 07, 2007 - 07:36 PM

I'm new to Thumper talk,so bare with me folks. I'm going to purchase my first DS bike this year--a 650L.Why?; because it is built like a tank and as stated,doesn't need the high rpm's to get the job done---so I have read.

You'll like it. It's a fun bike.

• osbo

Posted February 08, 2007 - 06:28 PM

I would think a USA street legal 650R would be an easy move for Honda.
Look at Honda overseas, you will find a 650R wearing dual sport equipment.....and yes an electric starter too!!!

KTM and Husky are the only ones who seem to give a crap about the dual sport market. Honorable metion to Suzuki for the DRZ400. Street legal dual sport, off road only model, and a super motard.

Anybody know someone @ Honda, I would buy a 650R in dual sport trim!!!!!

• wickedsprint

Posted February 08, 2007 - 08:24 PM

Anybody know someone @ Honda, I would buy a 650R in dual sport trim!!!!!

Just buy one in a neighboring state, title it and bring it to florida. I'll be bringing mine shortly if and when I move back to florida.

• Cobalt650

Posted February 10, 2007 - 01:33 PM

Is there a time in the calendar year that Honda typically introduces new models?

• fasterfaster

Posted February 10, 2007 - 07:24 PM

Convert a XR650R or a XR600R into a dual sport, and road title it. It is much better than a XR650L. I've ridden them both. Give it a try!

• Flagger

Posted February 10, 2007 - 08:02 PM

Is there a time in the calendar year that Honda typically introduces new models?

Their dealer show is usually in the September timeframe. That's when the new product announcements are typically made.

• Husqvarnasm450r

Posted February 11, 2007 - 03:52 PM

well im still going 2 purchase my 2007 HondaXr650L in March if they discontinue making or either trade it in on the new Honda Xr650r dualsport version if they ever come out with 1.

• oldchvytrx

Posted February 13, 2007 - 06:17 PM

Convert a XR650R or a XR600R into a dual sport, and road title it. It is much better than a XR650L. I've ridden them both. Give it a try!

<<<<<<>>>>>>
I was OK with what you say..... up until you claimed "MUCH" better?:ride:
Such a subjective statement don't you think?
I prefer the "aircooled" motor for several reasons for most of the riding I use the "L" for. I agree the "R" is faster to a point but for pure low end grunt and bulletproof simplicity the "L" is still the king:thumbsup:
Of all the bikes in the 650 class D/S lineup, IMHO the "L" is still the top contender for MANY reasons.
If I feel the need to really crank-it-up I jump on my "X" bike anyway.:censored: Just try and pass me in the woods with a 650...LOL:p

Related Content

Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 7 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  148 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.