What's going to replace the XRL?

38 replies to this topic
  • bcone

Posted January 29, 2007 - 06:04 PM

In a moment of idle speculation I began to wonder if they are not making the XR650L anymore, what will replace it?

Will it be a lower compression watercooled 650R with electric leg and CRF forks?

Any thoughts?

• CTXr650L

Posted January 29, 2007 - 06:51 PM

personally i'd like to see the air cooled motor slightly moded in a 450x frame :ride:

• RutRipper

Posted January 29, 2007 - 06:54 PM

Well a 650 is almost overkill for a dirtbike....maybe they'll step it down a notch and go with a 525 or something like ktm. Those are supposed to be great bikes.

• MindBlower

Posted January 29, 2007 - 07:03 PM

In a moment of idle speculation I began to wonder if they are not making the XR650L anymore, what will replace it?

Will it be a lower compression watercooled 650R with electric leg and CRF forks?

Any thoughts?

The only replacement for the XRL will come from China. Benelli perhaps. :ride:

• Manchu

Posted January 29, 2007 - 07:44 PM

The only replacement for the XRL will come from China. Benelli perhaps. :ride:

Sad...but I wouldn't be surprised. :ride: Especially considering how readily accepting of Chinese goods so many of us have come to be.

Now because of this, most likely anyway, there will be those that will try to excuse and reason why they don't have any qualms with purchasing Chinese made products.

:ride:

• woodsrat

Posted January 29, 2007 - 09:44 PM

I'm on my third BRP and nothing will ever replace it totally. Simple, easy to work on, good power and reliability plus being in production since the Earth cooled means that we should have good parts availability for another ten years or more if '07 is it's last year (hope not!!). I believe Honda would have sold three times as many had they shortened the suspension 3" like I did to mine. A great bike!!!

• Motosprtman

Posted January 30, 2007 - 07:40 AM

Nothing will ever replace a legend. I think there are sevral possibilities, CR450L or a maybe a whole new designation! in the 400-or 500 cc category. Unlike Honda to make something totally new to compete with KTM, Husky etc, they rely on the name and known honda reliability. Therefore I would think they would - as they have done in years past - take something already in production, modify it for street use and market it as such, like a CRF450L.

• xr650l bum

Posted January 30, 2007 - 08:04 AM

It will be amazing if they cancel the 650l! The local bike dealers cant keep them in stock. The 650r's sit there. crf450 sit there! I will never part with my beast. Good news is that there are plenty of parts bikes 600r and 650l. I would suggest that people who really like the L stock up on these parts/bikes! The 650l will go down as the longest and most produced dirt bike! Also the most reliable!!!

• Dust_Devil

Posted January 30, 2007 - 08:14 AM

I hope Honda produces something like this...

Lightweight Perimeter frame
650 Electric start engine
Performance suspension
With dual sport goodies ready to be plated.

• MindBlower

Posted January 30, 2007 - 09:28 AM

I'm on my third BRP and nothing will ever replace it totally. Simple, easy to work on, good power and reliability plus being in production since the Earth cooled means that we should have good parts availability for another ten years or more if '07 is it's last year (hope not!!). I believe Honda would have sold three times as many had they shortened the suspension 3" like I did to mine. A great bike!!!

How did you shorten it so much?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MindBlower

Posted January 30, 2007 - 09:58 AM

Guys, there aren't any new DS bikes in the pipeline. The pipeline is closed permanently. The Japanese will give up the dirt bike market completely in the next 5 years. As the quality of the Korean and Chinese (and Indian) bikes rapidly improves (are you noticing the incredible catching up the Korean car industry has pulled off? Are you seeing the ads for Hyosung?) the price margins will just make them unbeatable. .http://www.benelli.c...sDett.asp?id=24
Don't show the dirt bikes there but they had several at the international shows, including big bore singles, ds and dirt.
WE may prefer to pay the extra for Japanese, but many/most won't, and the dirt bike market was too small too begin with. The japanese are done with dirt bikes. (play bikes anyway) They'll sell the ones they make now for as long as it's profitable, then they'll stop completely. http://thekneeslider...les-from-china/

Might as well get used to it.

• XR650L_Dave

Posted January 30, 2007 - 10:20 AM

Well a 650 is almost overkill for a dirtbike....maybe they'll step it down a notch and go with a 525 or something like ktm. Those are supposed to be great bikes.

The reason its not overkill is its made for a wide, smooth, flat torque curve.

On some terrain the XRL is just about the easiest bike to have.

Dave

• Dust_Devil

Posted January 30, 2007 - 10:25 AM

Guys, there aren't any new DS bikes in the pipeline. The pipeline is closed permanently. The Japanese will give up the dirt bike market completely in the next 5 years. As the quality of the Korean and Chinese (and Indian) bikes rapidly improves (are you noticing the incredible catching up the Korean car industry has pulled off? Are you seeing the ads for Hyosung?) the price margins will just make them unbeatable. .http://www.benelli.c...sDett.asp?id=24
Don't show the dirt bikes there but they had several at the international shows, including big bore singles, ds and dirt.
WE may prefer to pay the extra for Japanese, but many/most won't, and the dirt bike market was too small too begin with. The japanese are done with dirt bikes. (play bikes anyway) They'll sell the ones they make now for as long as it's profitable, then they'll stop completely. http://thekneeslider...les-from-china/

Might as well get used to it.

I dont think so.

Honda will follow suit with Husky and KTM and offer a plateable high performance 4 stroke very soon.

• tomb1957

Posted January 31, 2007 - 01:46 PM

Even if Honda came out with new DS based on current models other that the 650r (which this the last year I'm being told) I wouldn't buy one. They are great bikes, just not designed for the kind of mileage we are used to from our 650l's and 600r's. The high rpm's needed for the hp put a lot of wear on the valve train. My 600 is 9 years old and keeps on going. I just converted it to usd forks. Not because the old ones were a problem. It was just to change and add a little different feel. Kind of reminds me of my ATK now. I see a lot of 450's being parted out. Man if you find a 650l or 600 being parted out, you can bet the thing is trashed and has a ton of miles. Hopefully if Honda does come out with a new DS it will be a big bore so it does not need the high rpm to produce power across the range.

• Dust_Devil

Posted January 31, 2007 - 02:41 PM

That goes without saying.

• Boston Mangler

Posted January 31, 2007 - 06:30 PM

Well a 650 is almost overkill for a dirtbike.....

Depends where and how ya ride! :ride:

• cleonard

Posted January 31, 2007 - 09:22 PM

One thing is for sure. The current 650L does not meet the more stringent 2008 California smog requirements for on road emissions. It's going to be hard for an aircooled engine to meet them. This problem is not unique to the 650L. None of the current dual sports meet the 2008 standards. This includes the Suzuki's, KTM's and the Husky's. The 2008 California standards go nationwide in 2010. There is a little flexibility in the standards. Some of a manufactures models can exceed the limits, if others are cleaner as long as the average meets the standards. That may be how Honda and Suzuki will continue to sell the current models.

I expect that most 2008 bikes will have to use fuel injection and catalytic converters to meet the smog levels. It's going to be real tough to do it with a carb.

• Red_Chili

Posted February 01, 2007 - 08:54 AM

Ditto the carb comment. However, my aircooled Buell meets the standards past 2010 and runs well. Not even the most efficient/smartest EFI. They'll do it.

• Motosprtman

Posted February 01, 2007 - 11:32 AM

and I always think I am wearing out my 650L on the street at 60...for 10-30 miles, MAYBE once a month...summertime - maybe 200 miles a month.

and it has 1,900 miles on it (2005 model)

• focallength

Posted February 03, 2007 - 04:18 PM

It will be amazing if they cancel the 650l! The local bike dealers cant keep them in stock. The 650r's sit there. crf450 sit there! I will never part with my beast. Good news is that there are plenty of parts bikes 600r and 650l. I would suggest that people who really like the L stock up on these parts/bikes! The 650l will go down as the longest and most produced dirt bike! Also the most reliable!!!

you dont really have to stock up Honda makes parts for bikes for 10 years after they stop production of the bike. So if you buy a 06 xr you have until 2016 to get parts, for most of us we have until 2016 to get a new engine if we have to but the engine has remained largely unchanged since what 92? Along with companies like xrs only who make after market parts for our bikes we will have plenty to go around for a while. And yes Honda is not making the XR anymore (for one it runs forever so they cant sell a new one every season) they are focusing on the CRF.

As far as the CRF450 being better its debateable, all I know is that jaws drop when the kids see what an extra 210 CC's can do (450 vs 660). Yes little jimmy size does matter and bigger is most deffinetly always better.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.