Who is using Cycra Probend hand guards?

19 replies to this topic
  • ThunderChicken

Posted January 29, 2007 - 04:05 PM

I'm going to get a set of Cycra Probend handguards but I'm not sure if I should get the type that mount to the handlebars or mount to the triple clamp.

I've never really paid much attention to wrap around guards but I recall hearing some negative points about using the triple clamp mounting option which I would think would be ideal.

Who is using the Probend from Cycra and what do you think about them? What mounting option are you using?

• PeterHively

Posted January 29, 2007 - 05:06 PM

I have Cycra ProBends with the triple clamp mounts on my 650R and I love em! The ProBends really do give you a lot more room for your hands, you can climb all over the bike and never get fouled up on the handguards.

Pros: very solid mounting, no slipping, no coming loose, especially good for tapered bars like ProTapers where the bar clamps come loose easily, more room on bars for tie downs, etc. I have dropped the bike several times and never had the handguards move. Once I fell really hard when I hit ice on a fire road, the thing just slammed into the cold hard dirt, and the handguard bent a little. When I got home I straightened it out in a vise, good as new.

Cons: ProTapers are designed to flex some, theoretically the triple clamp mounted handguards interfere with this flex. I think the SRC triple clamp mounts are/were designed to allow some flex, I've thought about making a bushing or spacer or something to allow for this but I'm not sure it's too big a deal. Also, when you first install them, the alignment needs to be just right, so you may have to do some tweaking of the handguard to get it to fit. Same deal with bar clamps, but maybe a little more so. If you cut your bars really narrow, you may have to enlarge to hole on the triple clamp end.

Peter

• ganshert

Posted January 29, 2007 - 05:11 PM

...what he said

I have the probends with triple clamp mount

I've used the fastways that mounted to the bar clamp before and the probends are nicer IMHO

Just like any handguards you have to mess with them to get them just right but these were on the easy side compared to some that I have wrestled with before.

I haven't had the opportunity to crash with them yet but I'll let you know how they hold up if this snow ever stops :ride:

• BWB63

Posted January 29, 2007 - 05:39 PM

David Gray broke his at Johnson valley (Soggy Dry lake bed) They do not bend and you can't bend then back, they break. He fell over onto a rock and they snapped. Lucky the jagged end didn't go into his hand, it hit the grip. Acrbis Pro can be bent back and you would be dead if you bent them far enough to pinch your hand. You can bend those back, not easy but, it can be done with no heat.

• Whiteman

Posted January 29, 2007 - 08:15 PM

I have been using the probends for a couple years and have had some serious hits to them. The triple clamp mounts are very nice but the Bonz mounts are the best IMO. Check them out. I am now using the pro bends with the Bonz mounts.
http://www.bikebonz.com/a_s_moto.htm

• dukeryder

Posted January 29, 2007 - 08:23 PM

I have the Cycra Probends with Bonz Mounts.

I have them mounted to ProTaper KX HI Contour bars, I also have the plastic shields and end guards mounted.

They're tough as nails and look the business.

• XR4DEZ

Posted January 29, 2007 - 08:31 PM

There is less vibration felt in the grips with the tripleclamp mounted handguards as apposed to the bar mounted gaurds.This comparison pertains to Cycra probend only mounted on the xr650r with Protaper oversized bars.

• ThunderChicken

Posted January 30, 2007 - 08:38 AM

I have been using the probends for a couple years and have had some serious hits to them. The triple clamp mounts are very nice but the Bonz mounts are the best IMO. Check them out. I am now using the pro bends with the Bonz mounts.
http://www.bikebonz.com/a_s_moto.htm

Wow, those look like the way to go for sure but I run a top mount dampener with the forward mount post:

Posted Image

• JackAttack

Posted January 30, 2007 - 08:50 AM

Pro-bends with trip mounts are great. :ride:

• Dust_Devil

Posted January 30, 2007 - 08:50 AM

Enduro Engineering Handguards are a more functional product, and they cost less.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ThunderChicken

Posted January 30, 2007 - 12:31 PM

Enduro Engineering Handguards are a more functional product, and they cost less.

I have a Cycra deal I've never used...

• ThunderChicken

Posted January 30, 2007 - 12:33 PM

Pro-bends with trip mounts are great. :ride:

Did you notice any change in the front end feel? That's what I'm worried about. That, and stacking up and instead of just wrecking handguards...shearing off triple clamp bolts...

• Dust_Devil

Posted January 30, 2007 - 01:15 PM

I have a Cycra deal I've never used...

Right on!!

• JackAttack

Posted January 30, 2007 - 04:20 PM

Did you notice any change in the front end feel? That's what I'm worried about. That, and stacking up and instead of just wrecking handguards...shearing off triple clamp bolts...

No difference in front end feel.

They will bend before shearing a trip clamp bolt. I have also used the billet bar mounts...they are super trick and strong.

Get the oversize hanguard shields, they protect much better than the smaller ones in the tight stuff.

• BobbySands

Posted January 30, 2007 - 04:34 PM

David Gray broke his at Johnson valley (Soggy Dry lake bed) They do not bend and you can't bend then back, they break. He fell over onto a rock and they snapped. Lucky the jagged end didn't go into his hand, it hit the grip. Acrbis Pro can be bent back and you would be dead if you bent them far enough to pinch your hand. You can bend those back, not easy but, it can be done with no heat.

i've used the cycra probends on my xr400 and taken many, MANY shots with them. i have the billet bar mounts and not the triple clamp mounts. they will move on a hard impact (z.b. a tree at speed) but not enough to harm you. i've never broken a lever or smashed my hand. seriously more room than the EE bark busters.

that stuff above about them not bending and simply shearing is a TOTAL load of hooey. i have bent mine so badly that the ripped out of the barend and spun down 2". a quick trip to the vise and i was able to square them back and reinstall. they've taken several hits since. thumbs up. :ride:

• jesusgatos

Posted January 30, 2007 - 05:15 PM

Just installed a set of Cycra Probends over the weekend. They fit GREAT.

• dukeryder

Posted January 30, 2007 - 07:10 PM

Posted Image

• pburke

Posted January 31, 2007 - 10:15 AM

I ordered a set 2 weeks ago - side pinch mount to fit on the BRP top triple clamps. Nothing shipped yet, so I can't post any cool pix yet. Waiting for the clamps to come back from anodizing I hear.

• JackAttack

Posted January 31, 2007 - 03:03 PM

They will be perfect for the Adelento GP. :ride:

I thought you were riding a 450X now, SecretAtlas.

• ThunderChicken

Posted January 31, 2007 - 04:06 PM

No. I did for awhile but couldn't get it sorted out. I didn't feel very safe on it in the valleys and crossgrain.

Although, riding the 650R hurts me in the Nationals. Last Sunday I was leading the Vet Open Expert class until the 3rd loop of the DMC National and I started blowing bubbles and got passed by two guys in my class. But for regular D37 H&Hs it is fine.

I was telling my wife on the way home that I would rather give up time in the super technical stuff they have in National H&Hs than risk putting myself in a wheelchair because I was crossing some valley on a skitzy 450... I can blow stuff up by dropping the back wheel and lifting the front and casing the bike(like loose rock ledges, g-outs, far side of Score road crossings) at the last minute if I need to on the 650...Thats a good card to have in your pocket...

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 3 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.