How crazy is this ?

15 replies to this topic
  • kingotone

Posted January 29, 2007 - 02:59 PM

I'm thinking of getting an 06 YZ450 frame and trying to migrate my complete 01 YZ426 on to it. How much of my 426 stuff will fit. Anyone ever seen or heard of something like this, Or am I just crazy. I rode a 450 last week and loved how it handled (felt so much lighter) but gotta say I like the 426 power a lot more. First time post, long time reader, thanks in advance.......K

• Jaycycle

Posted January 29, 2007 - 03:08 PM

I'm sure not a lot will. I mean the tank, air box, and most likely non of the plastics will transfer over. I mean I could be wrong but a lot has changed over 6 years.

That would be cool if the engine bolted right in tho...

Also the 06 has the oil tank... just another thing to think about...

Edit: You would probably be better off finding a rolling chassis complete with plastics, tank etc. and putting in your 426 motor (If possible). Then parting out the rest of the ol'yz. That way you will get some of the handling that you liked.

• never59

Posted January 29, 2007 - 03:29 PM

I'm thinking of getting an 06 YZ450 frame and trying to migrate my complete 01 YZ426 on to it. How much of my 426 stuff will fit. Anyone ever seen or heard of something like this, Or am I just crazy. I rode a 450 last week and loved how it handled (felt so much lighter) but gotta say I like the 426 power a lot more. First time post, long time reader, thanks in advance.......K

Sine you are asking...Sounds like a crazy idea. Buy a fly wheel weight for the 06 and be done. The 01 runs oil through the frame and the 06 does not, that is just the beginning of things that are not going to work

• kingotone

Posted January 29, 2007 - 03:32 PM

Yea, I had planned on getting 06 sub-frame tank and plastic. What about the swingarm, linkage,rear shock and front end. Not to mention the engine. By the way here is a pic of our bikes as they are now. From left to right.....2001 YZ426, 2004 YZ85, 2002 YZ250F .............Posted Image

• King_Air

Posted January 29, 2007 - 03:33 PM

Well I think the real question is not if you are :ride: or not. The things to consider are how much time, patience, and money you have. Do you like to tinker with things, handy with metal fabrication, etc. Almost anything can be done, but how much value will you get from it? Will it be fun for you or not? These are the things that I consider about modifications vs. stock. I think this will be a real challenge. :ride: Just my 2 cents.

Good Luck!

• grayracer513

Posted January 29, 2007 - 03:50 PM

The actual answer to your question is that the same number of parts from your 426 will fit the '06 frame as will fit a CRF450 frame, or a KXF450, or a KTM....none. They are two entirely different motorcycles. The wheels can be interchanged between the bikes but that's it.

• tammie

Posted January 29, 2007 - 04:20 PM

hey kingotone what kind of tires are on the 01 yz426 is that army print, neat never seen those where did you get them?

• Jaycycle

Posted January 29, 2007 - 04:23 PM

Yea, I had planned on getting 06 sub-frame tank and plastic. What about the swingarm, linkage,rear shock and front end. Not to mention the engine. By the way here is a pic of our bikes as they are now. From left to right.....2001 YZ426, 2004 YZ85, 2002 YZ250F .............Posted Image

Wow thats the nicest 426 I have seen. You could probably sell it like that and have a good amount towards an 06. :ride: Like someone said a flywheel weight would help alot too.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • kingotone

Posted January 29, 2007 - 04:40 PM

Thanks for the comp. and all the info. I figured it was a pipe dream. If it had been done, I figured someone here on TT would know. The tires are about the only thing left on the bike that was there when I got it. They are Innova brand Top Gear-R. I've never seen them before either..... Thanks again for the info. guess I'll just have to keep eatin my wheaties until I can afford an 07..............

• ZéPovinho

Posted January 29, 2007 - 04:48 PM

I think one of the things that really make a diference on power delivery from the 426 to the 450, its the pipe. I don´t know much about your AMA rules, but here on europe whe are guided by the FIM. the european 426 didn´t had too much restriction on the exaust dbs so the lowder pipe gave the bike a nice low end grunt power as too the 03 450. over the time stock pipes lowered down to FIM´s 96 dbs giving the feeling of the bike being slow on low revs.
if you dont have trouble whith noise try a bigger pipe on the 06 450

• FeliX 450

Posted January 29, 2007 - 05:33 PM

how crazy is this?
pretty damn crazy,
why not just get a o6 YZ450F? save time, pain in the :ride: etc. :ride:

• ____Kurt____

Posted January 29, 2007 - 07:11 PM

how sick would that be though to have the only 426 with a 450 frame? i would say it would be safe to say the only one on thumpertalk. man if you have the time and money. do it.

• grayracer513

Posted January 29, 2007 - 08:21 PM

Assuming you could manage to force the frame to accept the engine, one of your first problems would be where to put the engine oil.

• yz454

Posted January 29, 2007 - 08:57 PM

The motor and carb will fit, but not much else.

• Drav

Posted January 29, 2007 - 09:43 PM

Motor will be close (not not direct) bolt in, you'll just need to get the external oil tank and route it to the motor, but other than that you'll pretty much need an entire rolling chassis, frame, subframe, swinger probably, airbox, plastics/tank, seat, etc etc....You could do the whole conversion for under $1500 using your forks/wheels/components.

• gscx

Posted January 23, 2011 - 12:25 AM

Alright so im looking at this. I can get a frame for like 70 bucks right now so its not much to lose. How much different is the frame besides the plastic and what not? Like the locations for the motor mounts? I am looking at some pics and they dont really seem to be that far off

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.