426 vs 450 Compatible oil filters?

4 replies to this topic
  • oldtimemxer

Posted January 28, 2007 - 09:04 PM

Anyone tried using one of the early YZ426F oil filters (brass mesh) in a later model YZ? The fiber ones are too expensive to change often, and the Scott's stainless steel washables are about $70.00. I have an early 2000 brass mesh filter and it is just a few millimeters longer than the stock one used in my 06 YZ450F. Think it will work? How do you like the Scott's product? The local dealer here had a Scott's knock off made in San Diego that came with the side cover. The filter didn't even use a gasket on one of the sides. For that reason I'm thinking my early one should work.:ride:

• grayracer513

Posted January 28, 2007 - 10:11 PM

People have used the early brass mesh filters, but know this about them: they only filter to about 70-80 microns, and are somewhat too delicate to sustain very many cleanings without the mesh suffering some damage that would open it up farther still.

The Scotts filters to 35 microns. neither the Scotts nor any of the cheaper knock-offs use a "gasket" at the inboard end because there is no need to seal anything at that point, and it's only used on the OEM types to make up for the flimsier and less precise construction of the replaceables, so as to ensure a seal at the cover end. The Ready filter is shipped with a cover because it is a non-standard length, and won't work with the stock cover.

I have used Scotts oil filters on 3 different YZF's for nearly four years. They do the job for me.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • oldtimemxer

Posted February 03, 2007 - 10:25 PM

Thanks for your help grayracer513. I had some trouble trying to follow the oil flow path to figure out which end sealed what. Looks like the oil is pumped into the "tank" then up into the filter cavity, pushed thru the filter and then heads on to the vitals: crankshaft, cams, connecting rod, and drive train. Am I tracking that correctly? Anyway thanks for the help!

• grayracer513

Posted February 04, 2007 - 05:42 AM

Yes. In more detail, the feed pump draws oil from the tank and pumps it directly to the filter well through a passage in the case cover. It runs through the filter from outside to in, and into the filter cover where the oil way splits in two, one branch leading to the crank, and the other to the top end and transmission.

• oldtimemxer

Posted February 04, 2007 - 07:49 PM

Cool. Thanks for your help. Gonna buy a scotts oil filter for sure.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.