426 project is done

23 replies to this topic
  • devo1

Posted January 28, 2007 - 11:27 AM

Instead of buying a new bike this year, I decided to fix up my 426:

'06 YZ fender, TT fender sticker, TT compression plug, new timing chain, Weisco piston, Cometic gasket set, FMF exhaust, EBC contour rear brake rotor, TM chain guide, Ride Eng. timing plugs, Light Speed fork guards, Motion Pro T2 clutch cable, Iridium spark plug, new side panels, and Decal Works backgrounds.

It started on the fourth kick. :ride: :ride:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

• bigbluerider4life

Posted January 28, 2007 - 12:37 PM

sweet!

• baja4lif3

Posted January 28, 2007 - 01:14 PM

sick i might end up doing that if i dont get a new 450 soon. How much did all that run you?

• ctheojr450

Posted January 28, 2007 - 01:18 PM

Get some tank decals! Ugly

• devo1

Posted January 28, 2007 - 04:28 PM

sick i might end up doing that if i dont get a new 450 soon. How much did all that run you?

Just rough figuring, I think around a 1000, I'll add it up.
I removed the tank graphics while I had it apart, they were getting pretty tattered.
I also rerouted the breather hose to the airbox. I don't know if it will make a mess in there or not.
When the weather straightens out, I'll go test it.:ride:

• jbrooks26

Posted January 28, 2007 - 05:04 PM

Hey Devo, looks good man. I can tell you that your reroute of the breather hose to the airbox will make a mess in the airbox. However, I think if you put a T in and route it back down under the bike like it was stock it will stay much cleaner. I have mine routed directily into the airbox and it stays pretty nasty in there. I plan to put the T in mine sometime, but for now I am just living with it. Nice work!

Josh

• Indy_WR450

Posted January 28, 2007 - 05:57 PM

Sweet looking ride Devo! :ride: :ride: :ride:
Now that looks like it is ready for our annual spring time assault on Moab!:applause: :naughty: :busted:

Posted Image

• byggd

Posted January 28, 2007 - 06:16 PM

Nice look! I decited to give my 02 some new graphics this year too. I have them now I just have to make the time to put them on. :ride:

• emtieman

Posted January 28, 2007 - 07:07 PM

About the picture of Porcupine Rim Trail. I hope you guys didn't walk down that nice little technical section or ride the easy bypass there. Did any mountain bikers pass you down that drop as you were surveying your route? Just Kidding! Great trail and picture! You should try it on a full suspension mountain bike if you haven't had a chance to.

• 642MX

Posted January 28, 2007 - 07:38 PM

Looks good. :ride:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Indy_WR450

Posted January 28, 2007 - 07:54 PM

About the picture of Porcupine Rim Trail. I hope you guys didn't walk down that nice little technical section or ride the easy bypass there. Did any mountain bikers pass you down that drop as you were surveying your route? Just Kidding! Great trail and picture! You should try it on a full suspension mountain bike if you haven't had a chance to.

You should try it on a 300 lb dirt bike! That downhill section takes victims all the time. Mark in that picture is just picking up his bike after nearly braking his leg over a hole between the rocks. I only know a few guys that can ride this down and make it look easy. Up the other side of the creek is a piece of cake compared to dropping into her.:ride:

• Fullbore4

Posted January 28, 2007 - 11:26 PM

nice bike.....

• devo1

Posted January 29, 2007 - 05:22 AM

Nice look! I decited to give my 02 some new graphics this year too. I have them now I just have to make the time to put them on. :ride:

Thanks byggd. When you get them done, post some pics. I need some ideas.
We did get passed by a mountain bike but he took a shortcut off a eight foot drop.:ride:
Indy, I am so pumped about Moab that I think about what I need to get done to be ready everyday.
Josh, thanks for the tip. Was there less oil after you put in your new piston?

later
Devo

• byggd

Posted January 29, 2007 - 11:33 AM

We did get passed by a mountain bike but he took a shortcut off a eight foot drop.:ride:
Indy, I am so pumped about Moab that I think about what I need to get done to be ready everyday.

later
Devo

Here is the kit I ended up getting on ebay for just under $50 delivered. Kind of different but I didn't want a skull, dragon etc. If you go to this website they have a few pics www.enjoymfg.com. A buddy of mine has similar ones on his YZ250 and it looks pretty sharp.
http://cgi.ebay.com/...42414&rd=1&rd=1

• jbrooks26

Posted January 29, 2007 - 01:39 PM

later
Devo

No new piston, just a new set of rings but I didn't notice any difference. You have bigger problems though if you have blow by coming out of that vent hose. What you see coming out of there is oily condensation, oil carried by the water vapor that collects in there from the changing temps. The T fitting just allows it to go down to the ground rather than into the air box.(note that I have not yet done this) The line in the air box just gives an alternate route for the air that is displaced by the piston going up and down to go when the lower half may be plugged. This air is displaced by the bottom of the piston, and that is why it puffs ( blow on comp and exh, suck on intake and power). Hope this helps.

Josh

• emtieman

Posted January 29, 2007 - 05:02 PM

You should try it on a 300 lb dirt bike! That downhill section takes victims all the time. Mark in that picture is just picking up his bike after nearly braking his leg over a hole between the rocks. I only know a few guys that can ride this down and make it look easy. Up the other side of the creek is a piece of cake compared to dropping into her.:ride:

I plan on trying it the next time there on the dirt bike but the mountain bike I agree was a little harry. It helps when you are bombing behind a great rider that has done it before. The motorcycle in my opinion absorbs way more mistakes as long as you keep your momentum up.

When are you guys planning your next trip to Moab?

• Indy_WR450

Posted January 29, 2007 - 06:05 PM

We are off to Moab the last week of March. A full week of off road heaven.:ride:
As long as I have a bike I will always make an annual week long trip to the Mecca!:ride:

Posted Image

• 04WR450man

Posted January 31, 2007 - 05:28 AM

Your bike is looking good :ride:

I have just freshened up my '02 WR426 as well,

How it looked before :

Posted Image

After new plastics+graphics fitted:

Posted Image

and a FMF full exhaust + black gripper seat cover :

Posted Image

Trev.

• JRAMBO

Posted January 31, 2007 - 09:05 AM

It sure is nice to see I am not the only one who has traded in there big OL WR's for anew one I want to do the same thing to mine especially the piston and rings.Your bike looks SWEET! great job. I LOVE my 02 WR 426

• byggd

Posted January 31, 2007 - 11:22 AM

Your bike is looking good :ride:

I have just freshened up my '02 WR426 as well,

How it looked before :

Posted Image

After new plastics+graphics fitted:

Posted Image

and a FMF full exhaust + black gripper seat cover :

Posted Image

Trev.

Sweet! I see you even added a new pipe. I have to ask though, why do you point your handguards down so far :ride:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.