Stand Weiseco Piston Kit question

5 replies to this topic
  • tammie

Posted January 28, 2007 - 09:09 AM

ok I am replacing my stock piston(99 yz400) with a weiseco piston kit....there are three rings, the bottom oil ring is easy to identify but the instructions in the kit do not tell me which is the top ring and which is the second ring? they are clearly different one is more like black and the other is like an orangy color?? which one is the top and which one is second ring??

also what are the fuctions of the top right and second ring? I think someone told me one of the rings srapes the oil back down off the cylinder new to changing out my piston....just don't know what ring is top or second....

can anyone answer this for me?

• grayracer513

Posted January 28, 2007 - 09:20 AM

The top two rings will both be compression rings, but they are generally not identical. The one intended to go in the second groove does have the dual function of a "touch up" oil scraper in some ring sets.

The only thing I can say with a fair amount of certainty without seeing the rings is that they should have some markings on the top side with will identify that side as facing up. But as to which goes in which groove, absent any clear instructions, I would contact Wiseco and ask.

• tammie

Posted January 28, 2007 - 12:09 PM

thanx i'll have to do that !

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Birdy426

Posted January 28, 2007 - 10:14 PM

You hafta kinda sniff around on the wiseco site, but there's an illustration on the piston rings catalogue that shows you what you need. If you look at the part number for your ring set, is ends with the letters "XR". Go to the Wiseco the ring catalogue, here and find the row for "XR" type rings.

The two rings have different cross sections. One should be rectangular in cross section, with square corners. That's the top ring. The other should have a chamfer on the outside diameter. That's the second ring.

• tammie

Posted January 29, 2007 - 05:34 AM

ahhhh OK your right they did have differnet cross section ok thanx.....

• grayracer513

Posted January 29, 2007 - 08:49 AM

There's almost always a difference in the section of the two rings, but there are so many different types of ring construction used that it would just be too difficult to go over them all (and confusing, most likely). Luckily, Birdy had some recent experience to share. :ride:

Related Content

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.