New cluthch handle and perch, what do I do with the clutch switch?

10 replies to this topic
  • donohoedc

Posted January 28, 2007 - 07:12 AM

I love the electric start on my 2006 WR450! I have to replace the clutch handle and perch because I chose a new "unbreakable " model. The only thing I didn't consider in the transition is the clutch switch. The new set-up doesn't account for it. Anyone out there have a suggestion? I'm wondering if I should/can circumvent the switch alltogether or if I should look for another replacement. Any help would be appreciated!

• 250f92109

Posted January 28, 2007 - 07:44 AM

Mine no longer stays in the perch so I just stuffed it behind the front light.
it starts in gear but but I always pull in the clutch before starting anyways.

• donohoedc

Posted January 28, 2007 - 12:45 PM

If I choose to disconnect the switch alltogether, as it apperars you did, do I just clip it off from the perch or do I need to wire the circuit closed before hiding the cable somewhere? Can you give me any more specifics on how you disassembled the wiring?
Thanks!

• SXP

Posted January 28, 2007 - 12:49 PM

I love the electric start on my 2006 WR450! I have to replace the clutch handle and perch because I chose a new "unbreakable " model. The only thing I didn't consider in the transition is the clutch switch. The new set-up doesn't account for it. Anyone out there have a suggestion? I'm wondering if I should/can circumvent the switch alltogether or if I should look for another replacement. Any help would be appreciated!

Easy. Just unplug the clutch over-ride wire from the plug behind the headlight and use a female spade connector to short the two terminals in the plug. The female connector I used was the perfect size to span the width of the two male pins in the plug and is a good firm fit. The downside (if you can call it that) is the starter will turn even with the bike in gear so be careful.

• Looks450

Posted January 29, 2007 - 12:39 AM

I just disconected it from the perch, rolled it up and tapped it with the rest of the wires behind the headlight. If you disconnect it alltogether it will only start if it is in neutral.

Cheers
Looks

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • SXP

Posted January 29, 2007 - 07:07 AM

If you disconnect it alltogether it will only start if it is in neutral.

Cheers
Looks

Hence my post right above yours....

I didn't want to have to hunt for neutral while stalled on a rocky up hill so the next best solution was to jumper the terminals in the plug behind the headlight so you could just pull in the clutch and hit the starter button.

• GMC3500HD

Posted January 29, 2007 - 01:19 PM

if you can find the right size terminal just cut the two wires and use a butt connector to hook the wires together.

• SXP

Posted January 29, 2007 - 02:02 PM

if you can find the right size terminal just cut the two wires and use a butt connector to hook the wires together.

By my method you make no "irreversible" changes - I consider cutting a wire "irreversible". I try to maintain the option of returning the bike to stock form whenever I make a mod in the event I choose to sell it. It just looks cleaner and not kluged together.

• GMC3500HD

Posted January 29, 2007 - 03:06 PM

very true. i also prefer the non permanent method. so on my bike i pulled the harness out pryed the terminal apart and stuck the end of the other wire in there. so if i decided to go to stock, just pry the terminal apart and put the other wire back in there. your way is better but i hate searching for terminals

• donohoedc

Posted January 29, 2007 - 03:09 PM

You guys are making great sense. The butt splicer sounds perfect. Thanks for all the help. i'll let you know how it turns out!

• donohoedc

Posted February 05, 2007 - 06:20 AM

Just wanted to post a thank you. I cut the wire and used a butt splicer to close the clutch switch circuit. It was a very simple project. Since I always start with the clutch pulled anyway, I've noticed no change in performance. The AVS clutch and brake levers are great and simple to install as well!

What a great website thanks for all the input guys!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.