650R Edlebrock Carb Questions...

29 replies to this topic
  • motopsycho650

Posted February 10, 2007 - 06:17 AM

You know, after all is said and done, I think I'm keeping my stock carb. My only real complaint with it is starting the bike after a lay-down. Other than that, I have it jetted perfectly, I know how to adjust it on the fly, and I really don't want to re-learn all that with a new carb. The Team Honda XR650R's racing in the Baja still use the stocker.

Plus, I think I've decided to use my tax return on many of the other mods I've been wanting. A 4.3 gal fuel tank w/ it's own fuel valve, a new speedo (can't decide between the TrailTech Vapor or Service Honda), and a few other odds & ends.

Just for fun though. How many people have had low-end, top-end balance problems with the edlebrock? I've talked to a few people who say when you dial in the low-end, you lose a little on the top, and visa-versa.

• InternalCombustion

Posted February 10, 2007 - 07:30 AM

The Team Honda XR650R's racing in the Baja still use the stocker.

Just for fun though. How many people have had low-end, top-end balance problems with the edlebrock? I've talked to a few people who say when you dial in the low-end, you lose a little on the top, and visa-versa.

Other than its tendency to flood, the stock Keihin is a good carb.

Regarding getting the Edelbrock dialled in, when I got mine from Rob Barnum he had it pretty much good to go for the way my 650R was currently set up.

On the Edelbrock, the needle size controls mid-to-top end mixture. The Metering Adjustment Tool (MAT) knob controls idle-to-mid range mixture. Given those two bands of mixture adjustment its pretty easy to get the carb dialled in, top to bottom.

How the MAT makes a real difference is on rides with large elevation changes: changing your mixture (in idle to mid-range) is made by simply dialling the MAT in or out. No jets or needles to change.

When you get the Edelbrock you just determine one of three needles to run (usually the #19 for an uncorked 650R). Then fine-tune idle to mid-range with the MAT.

Simplest route to go is to get one from a dealer like Barnum that presets it for your particular bike's state of tune.

The first time you ride it and you whack the throttle open, and that baby immediately leaps forward, that's payback.

• motopsycho650

Posted February 10, 2007 - 07:53 AM

Yeah, the most common reply I'm getting is that it's good mod. I still seems like a 400 dollar gamble to me. My bike is stock engine, with all the HRC uncorking mods, and a cut out air-box side panel. For me, the bike already has massive power. Almost too much for some of the tighter trails I ride. My altitude commonly will change 3000 ft. during some of our CO rides, and all the stock carb ever needs is a quick 1/4 turn pilot adjustment. I tend to stay in the lower RPM range while I ride, so it works for me.

• InternalCombustion

Posted February 10, 2007 - 08:46 AM

For me, the bike already has massive power..

Amen to massive power!

Hey, if you're happy with your stock Keihin, go with it brother, spend your bucks on something you'd rather have. Nothing wrong with that logic.

• daddyk

Posted February 10, 2007 - 10:47 AM

I'm just put a Quicksilver on my XR628 HRC and have been surprised. I had a Keihin on it jetted right and all that and was happy with it. I found a guy that wanted 100$ and a stock carb for the quicksilver. I had a spare carb so I tried it. Same bike on same route only difference the carb. and places were the front end got light before with the Edlebrock it jumped in the air.Haven't had it in the dirt yet but on the street the bottom end and midrange feel stronger.I know the stocker runs on top or Honda would'nt use them in Baja but I'm not Johnny Cambell and I live in the mid range and bottom.For me it starts easier,idles smoother and jumps from the bottom. I'd swear I would'nt spend 400$ for a carb either but if you get a chance try it.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • InternalCombustion

Posted February 10, 2007 - 12:27 PM

I.For me it starts easier,idles smoother and jumps from the bottom. I'd swear I would'nt spend 400$ for a carb either but if you get a chance try it.

That about covers it.

By the way, daddyk, $100 and a stock carb is a real good deal for a QS. Bravo!

• XRR-kat

Posted February 10, 2007 - 12:31 PM

I was wondering if WickedSprint found a trade for his Ebrock.

• wickedsprint

Posted February 11, 2007 - 07:31 PM

I was wondering if WickedSprint found a trade for his Ebrock.

Yes I did, at around the same time my AD for it got pulled, so that worked out pretty conveniently. I will be putting my stocker back on this weekend, while the eddy might have had a little bit more snap off the bottom, it was doing so at the expense of alot more fuel and still felt a bit weak on top, with the eddy I could only get about 92ish on the gps in the dirt and around 96mph on paved, this is with 15T front sprocket and the stock rear, granted I am at 6200 feet of elevation, maybe the eddies run better at sea level. I also installed the XRs only choke plate though to get rid of the danger spring.

• XRR-kat

Posted February 11, 2007 - 08:39 PM

Wicked,
Appreciate the feedback. Learning from your experience and candid observations.

• porterdog

Posted February 12, 2007 - 04:56 AM

I've got one on my XR4 and like it quite well- can *always* get the bike started. Burned (Eddie S) in the Jetting forum can't stand them, though- search Edelbrock in that forum and you'll find out why- they just don't have enough adjustment for him.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Forums
Photo

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.